Getting my 17 year old son a bike

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love FZ6, but i don't think he should start on it. Sure, there is a chance he will be fine, but i would guess that's an outlier. FZ6 engine comes from racing background - sure it's been tamed, but it still shows. I have very limited motorcycling experience, but I'd say - 250 is the way to go. Ninja 250 (never rode it, but have heard a lot of good things) if he wants sport style, or nighthawk if he doesnt mind "standard". I rode Buell Blast and the Nighthawk during the MSF course, then rode KLR 650 and when i moved to FZ6, it scared me. You get on the highway and next time you look down you are doing 90 mph, and you still have plenty of room to go.

wizer186 got it right. I don't know what all that "250 will hurt" stuff.

And invest the price difference (Nighthawk is all of $3.8k NEW, a used one can be found for $1.3k) into protective gear. ATGATT!

just my $0.02

92fz08

Reaction score
Visit site
I know over in the UK they put a limit on the FZ1 through the throttle, if your mechanically inclined you could probably cut off alot of the FZ6's power that way. i got my fz6 when i was 17, and sure enough the week after it was broke in i ended up seeing how fast it could go :p impulse control is horrible when your 17.If hes set on it and If you do end up getting him a fz6 i would definatly put a governer on it. its actually a REALLY tame and fun bike under 8-9k on the tach, after that it changes into a monster.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I know over in the UK they put a limit on the FZ1 through the throttle, if your mechanically inclined you could probably cut off alot of the FZ6's power that way. i got my fz6 when i was 17, and sure enough the week after it was broke in i ended up seeing how fast it could go :p impulse control is horrible when your 17.If hes set on it and If you do end up getting him a fz6 i would definatly put a governer on it. its actually a REALLY tame and fun bike under 8-9k on the tach, after that it changes into a monster.

There is a restrictor sold on Ebay you could fit.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL........I can only look back when I was 19.......I will never know what my son does or how he rides when I am not around. My poor dad only recently found out about my 95mph in a 55mph reckless driving ticket in 1981.

They say the nut doesnt fall far from the tree.....so that being said....maybe I shouldnt get him a bike at all.

Hell........who here doesn't love the feeling of winding it out to 12000rpm in 1st and 2nd gear?????? Lol......that's the kid of person I was and am.

So true, I got my first speeding ticket on my 175cc, had to see how fast it would go! Full thottle in a 35 mph zone. I think I got written up for 58. Motorcycle cop stopped me.

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the Honda VTR250 available in the US ?? Looks like this & in the hands of a good rider they are seriously seriously fast ;)
gs_vtr250_l.jpg

Top notch little bike that has tonnes of mods , v-twin sound & enough oompf to keep the young ones interseted way past that learning stage :thumbup:

That is the coolest looking 250 I have ever seen. Very Monster like.

What year is pictured?

Can we get that in the US?

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you considered Suzuki GS500 ?
Cheap to run, parts available anywhere.

Just checked them out......nice looking bike.

Before starting this thread, we had kinda narrowed our search to the Ninja 250. With all of the great suggestions, we like the Buell Blast (I have the xb12ss), the Ninja 250 and 500, and now the GS500. He also is interested in some of the older bikes with the banana seat like a Honda Ascot or a CB400 4cyl.

Everyone has not made this easier...lol....so many great bikes out there. The budget is in the $1300 to $2000 range and I think we can get a quality bike around there.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is the coolest looking 250 I have ever seen. Very Monster like.

What year is pictured?

Can we get that in the US?

That one is a 2008 but they started making them back in 1997 from memory :thumbup:

It is my understanding that the VTR250 'mini monster' is available in the USA & has been called the Interceptor 250 so I would be checking with my nearest Honda dealer ;)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the bike he starts on is not going to be his last bike, I started on a ninja 250 and had a blast on the thing. I could keep up with my friends on the bigger bikes everywhere except getting on the highways and whatnot. I found it was actually more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. I might pick one up again at some point just for something to tear through town on.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Resale should be very good when he's done on the Honda CBR250...Insurance would be very cheap with ABS on a lill 250...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1

I did too.

But the idiot factor is always higher at 17. It just is. Don't say, "not my Billy, you don't know my Billy." I know he is 17, and that's enough. So maybe a high revving supersport R6 engine (albeit detuned) is something best saved for later?

Plenty of fun to be had on the much cheaper to buy and insure 250's. The new CBR250 is pretty decent looking...

Or an SV650? Much more linear power delivery and less overall juice...

I have to say I agree with "Lone" on this one,
17 is a strange age. I grew up around bikes and was always taught to respect them.
And I did, until I turned the key for the first time and got to about 25 years-old.

Good luck on what ever you decide. Another option might be to fit the 33bhp restricted kit that the UK learners have to have (mandatory). It basically stops the throttle being opened fully. It will still give a top speed of 100mph, you just don't get there as quick.

Nelly

Last edited:

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
My son is in the final session of the MSF class. There are 11 students in the class and he is the youngest at 17. Among the wide range of students he said there is an old guy like me and 55 year old woman who has taken the class and failed two previous times. She purchased a new FZ6 but is yet unable to ride it because she has been removed from class for safety reasons.

By far the most interesting person in his class is a late twenties female lawyer who has no motorcycle experience. On the first day of class they were all asked why they were taking the class and she replied "to learn how to pop wheelies." She said that she has already purchased a bike. She went to her local shop with her R1 rider boyfriend to purchase a Ninja 250. The sales person and her boyfiend convinced her that she would be bored with a 250 and she ended up purchasing a brand new R6.

Yesterday on the first day of class, my son was able to grab the only Ninja 250 and is having a blast. The R6 girl got a Nighthawk and is struggling. He said that she has stalled the bike at least 30 times and has dropped it 5 times by locking the front brake, stalling on a turn, and general panic. She has been reduced to balling her eyes out during each break.

Short story long, all of this has helped reinforce to my son all of the advice that most of you and I have given. He knows that getting a smaller bike is a great way to learn and it will not be his last bike. He feels in the small area that they ride in that the bike has enough pickup and speed.

Today is the last session and he should get his DMV waiver in about 10 days. We are continuing to look at Craigslist, Cycletrader, and Ebay looking for the right bike at the right price.

Are there any other places to look for used bikes?

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was a 1988 Kawasaki EX500.. and at 25 years old, it scared the piss out of me. I had almost zero bike experience growing up. We had friends that owned a mini bike.. that was about it. You have to remember that speed is relative. A Ninja250R will be fast for a brand new rider. It won't just seem fast. It will be fast. If it were my son, the idea of losing some money in resale on a used 250 far outweighs the thought of seeing him loop a 600.

Yes, if he'd had prior experience riding in the dirt.. then maybe we'd be having a different discussion. Even so, riding in the dirt is not the same as riding on the street.. in traffic.

My son has been on bikes since he was 5 years old, and he'll still start on a 'baby bike' when he's old enough to ride a street bike. It's smarter, safer and he'll be a better street rider for it.