Getting my 17 year old son a bike

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I will be getting my 17 year old son a motorcycle. He has no riding experience. He has a Ford Ranger with a manual transmission so he is familiar with a clutch.

This weekend he will be taking the MSF basic rider course and after that I will want to get him his own bike.

In my opinion, my FZ6 is way too much bike for him to start. He points out that my first bike at 19 was a 1980 750f and I also had no riding experience

What motorcycle would you recommend as a first bike?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on who he is. He can loose it in a turn on a Ninja 250 just as well.
You just have to have, "The Talk"

If he gets a 250 or a 400 whatever, he might want to step up sooner than you think and it might be cheaper to start on the 600.
A lot will depend on your relationship and communication with him.

When I get the chance (cuz he lives back east) I love riding with my son! :rockon:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Motogiro it all comes down to him! Is he a speedy rider that would like to end up on a Sportbike. Or is he more of an off road rider that will like Adventure riding on a dual sport type bike. also how much of a mechanic is he would he like to build his own bike maybe the vintage or cafe bike is the way to go

Toast

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
If he's set on a bigger bike, persuade him into the Ninja 650r or Suzuki SV650. He shouldn't get tired of those bikes for a while if he's riding for the right reasons. I started riding at age 19 with a Kawasaki ZZR600 with no problem at all. All boils down to what kind of person he is.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad you're not taking the BRC with your son, nothing better than doing the father son thing.

I had a father and son take the class. The father already had his M endorsement and he was just there to support his son.

LOL....the son had a better riding evaluation than his dad!

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
Well when I went for my first bike a few years ago at 16 I figured I can say I'll be responsible all I wanted but when it comes down to it most teenagers think speed is a fascinating thing and keeping your head on straight is tough to do especially around friends. So I decided to pick up and older bike because there slower than modern bikes and if you put it down, no big deal. I started on a 1984 Honda V30 Magna for $500. Maybe check around craigslist for an older bike even if he only has it for a year then upgrades.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I found this site because I fell in love with the FZ6, and was getting my cash together when I found an 07 ninja 250 for $1000...I had to buy it for that price...I'm a brand new rider and I thank God that I found that 250 first...I've had times when trying to keep the front brake covered, I've flick my wrist a little to much...If I were on an FZ6 and did that, I hate to think what would happen...Used 250s are very quick to resale...

Your 1st bike is not your last bike...

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
You might have started on a 750, but that 750 doesn't compare to 750s today... or even the 600s of today. Even an SV 650 is a better performing bike.

I was 17 not that long ago and I'm lucky I survived it with the toys I had back then.

Even a 500 would keep the kid happy for a while. And it will keep your insurance company happy as well.
He will for sure drop the bike at some point, even if it's just a parking lot mis hap, it will happen.

Too bad he didn't have prior dirt experience, it's the best way to learn.

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
We are considering a Ninja 250. They seem to hold their value well.

However, at 6' and 200lbs, he is not a skinny kid and to a point, I could see him feeling like he is on a moped. He is a good kid, no trouble, good student and seems to drive safely.

"When I get the chance (cuz he lives back east) I love riding with my son!"

Ya know, at this age, I am sure going to miss him when he goes away to college. I want that motorcycle connection.

I could just hand him down the FZ6 but it still seems soooo fast to me. Even the 650 twins seem like to much bike but I have never ridden one.

What 400 or 500cc bikes should we consider?

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad you're not taking the BRC with your son, nothing better than doing the father son thing.

I had a father and son take the class. The father already had his M endorsement and he was just there to support his son.

LOL....the son had a better riding evaluation than his dad!
Dang, he actually wanted me too. Unfortunately, I have to work this weekend or I would. I will go with him on the Friday night session to support him.

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been extremely happy with my 1978 Yamaha XS400. I just bought my second bike a 2008 FZ6 two weeks ago and might end up selling my XS.

Here is why I recommend it:

-Cheap on insurance

-low entry price (sub $700)

-work on it together like I have with my dad

-parallel twin allows quick acceleration with not too much top-end: 105mph

-actually corners pretty well considering it's more of a cafe/standard style

>>>This is officially my first post on the FZ6 forum! Yay

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been extremely happy with my 1978 Yamaha XS400. I just bought my second bike a 2008 FZ6 two weeks ago and might end up selling my XS.

Here is why I recommend it:

-Cheap on insurance

-low entry price (sub $700)

-work on it together like I have with my dad

-parallel twin allows quick acceleration with not too much top-end: 105mph

-actually corners pretty well considering it's more of a cafe/standard style

>>>This is officially my first post on the FZ6 forum! Yay

:welcome:Chupa! I used to have the XS400. Fun bike!

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Motogiro!

I have a video of my xs400 for everyone to enjoy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQvnEaK21So"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQvnEaK21So[/ame]

I have put on newer clubman bars, changed the pipes (louder) and rebuilt my carbs since I recorded the video.

Last edited:

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
The best part of riding my XS400 was that I could fit in just about every riding circle here, when my sportbike or metric friends couldn't. The Harley loyalists in Minnesota run pretty strong, but they would always talk to me.

To the OP---your 17 yr old would do great on an older 70's mid-cc standard such as mine, plus he could do 3K clutch drops and launch from a stoplight with no fear of wheelies... :steve:

Wouldn't you agree Motogiro?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
get him a dirt bike for a while, then let him go street......
you learn a ton about traction in the dirt.
it's probably safer, too...........

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
I started on the FZ6 back in November. Mistake on my part. I wrecked it a week after getting it. I bought a Ninja 250 a few weeks later to get some practice while I rebuilt my FZ6. Since I plan on finishing my rebuild this week, I put my 250 up for sale already. I listed it for 2900 (I bought it for 2600 with a dead battery), I've had three offers and its only Monday... My point: 250's hold a fairly good resale value ;) And I get a good bit of riding out of it and experience.

Whatever route you take, make sure he gets good quality gear and wears it 100 percent of the time. EVEN when its 85 degrees outside and its stuffy in the jacket and pants (It was 81 degrees the day I wrecked mine).

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was a 2002 Buell blast, its a 500, but a single cylinder. I think It worked out great, a little bigger than a 250, a lot of fun to ride, and its not a bike that you just ride, you have to work for your speed, your corners, ect. So it always kept you on your toes, but at the same time it was an easy bike to learn on. I know a lot of the saftey courses use them.
Just my 2 cents!:BLAA: