Gear sprocket retaining nut & washer

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
I am missing my gear sprocket retaining nut!
Don't know how, don't know when, but it has disappeared, probably fallen out while riding (just checked the garage floor a thousand times).

I consider myself very lucky, that when it fell out, it did not cause any damage to the bike, nor did it kill me. So hail to the all mighty :bow:
Not to mention that i have discovered it by accident, was changing my oil, and decided to clean the sprocket covers inside while the oil drains fully.

I am trying to buy a new one, (or ask a professional to make one in a workshop),
but so far the internet did not help me in any way.

All i have found up until this moment, is a lousy picture of the sprocket and the washer, and some part codes for a make that does not fit my bike.

Can someone please tell me the correct part numbers (and maybe dimensions - height, size, ect - for the nut and washer ?

My bike is FZ6N - RJ074 from 2004

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Something is seriously wrong here because that nut is supposed to be torqued very tight and retained with a washer that you bend up against the nut to prevent it unscrewing.

Lock washer part number 90215-21290
Nut part number 90179-18667
Torque of nut: 90Nm/65 ft-lb

It's good that you prayed to the almighty because if that had come off so would you have, and badly.

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
Something is seriously wrong here because that nut is supposed to be torqued very tight and retained with a washer that you bend up against the nut to prevent it unscrewing.

Lock washer part number 90215-21290
Nut part number 90179-18667
Torque of nut: 90Nm/65 ft-lb

It's good that you prayed to the almighty because if that had come off so would you have, and badly.

Thank You!
Yes, I was surprised too, believe me, not to mention, that i have discovered it freshly after a 150mile ride...

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
So, i did a little research on this matter, and it seems that it has to do with the recall yamaha has issued for theese particular nuts.
I guess my bikes previous owner, never did go to a dealership to take care of it.

It seems that the original nut that comes with the bike is 9mm thick, and for some reason it can unscrew itself somehow.

The new nut thickness should be 12mm.

While looking up the parts in the previous posts, i have found a kit:
90891-10124-00 NUT AND WASHER LOCK SET
It should contain the new 12mm type nut.
It seems if you buy them separatelly, they cost much more.

For all of you i highly recommend to check this nut as soon as you can, and make sure it is nice and tight.
Dont bother checking the recall model rande, mine is not in it either, but the issue is there!
You can easily remove the protective cap, it is hold by 3 hexagon nuts.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Please look at #34 and #35 in this picture. The washer is supposed to slip over the spline on the output shaft. Then the nut is torqued to specification and then the tabs of the washer are bent to the flats on the nut to keep it from turning. Maybe the original washer tabs rusted away? It looks really rusty!

Here's a link to see the pictorial: 2004 Yamaha FZ6 (FZ600SSC) Transmission | Ron Ayers

Last edited:

warthogcrewchief

Reaction score
Visit site
If you haven't dealt with final drive nuts before:

The best way to keep the nut from turning is to have someone hold the rear brake pedal down as you tighten and torque the nut. Work so much better than breaking a screwdriver in the drive chain on your KZ1000 (also works for any other chain driven bike...don't ask how I know:eek:).

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
If you haven't dealt with final drive nuts before:

The best way to keep the nut from turning is to have someone hold the rear brake pedal down as you tighten and torque the nut. Work so much better than breaking a screwdriver in the drive chain on your KZ1000 (also works for any other chain driven bike...don't ask how I know:eek:).

Thanks for the tip!
I was indeed wondering how im going to tighten it.
Just a few days and the new set of nut and washer should arrive :rockon:

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
Please look at #34 and #35 in this picture. The washer is supposed to slip over the spline on the output shaft. Then the nut is torqued to specification and then the tabs of the washer are bent to the flats on the nut to keep it from turning. Maybe the original washer tabs rusted away? It looks really rusty!

Here's a link to see the pictorial: 2004 Yamaha FZ6 (FZ600SSC) Transmission | Ron Ayers

Thank for the pictorial Motogiro.

Yup, it was really rusty.
Maybe the problem was not the reason Yamaha has issued its nut recall.

Still, this nuts tightness got on my periodic check list!

Yesterday i have cleaned the axle and the sprocket from the rust and the surplus chain lube, applied lube onto the axle's end where the sprocket is mounted, and am looking forward to the DHL man
with my torque wrench ready :D

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to your thread I happened to check my sprocket while cleaning the chain and found the washer/nut loose in there. The surrounding area had red dust(rust from the washer) sprinkled showing relative motion between the washer and the nut. The bent part of the washer was not pressing against the nut anymore - was at an angle and the nut could easily turn. It came out without much torque too when I turned it - so it was only a matter of time before it fell off. My bike is a 2005 with 16000 miles on it. I removed both the nut and washer and cleaned the rust covered parts before putting it back with some threadlocker and firmly pressing the washer against the side of the nut. Will make sure to check it each time the chain is cleaned.

Seeing it is a common occurance, I would suggest everyone to check too/

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone with an S1 model confirm the splined shaft DOES NOT have a channel or grove cut in it?

FWIW: The S2 (08 pictured), they cut a grove in the shaft and once the nut is tight, the rim of the nut is staked into the grove to lock the nut. Also the nut comes with a locking agent embedded in the threads.

The grove & stake are at the end of the white stripe.
51847d1390680863-front-sprocket-nut-question-dsc_6401-sprocket-.web.jpg

Spline, Shaft, Sprocket, Stake, picture

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone with an S1 model confirm the splined shaft DOES NOT have a channel or grove cut in it?

FWIW: The S2 (08 pictured), they cut a grove in the shaft and once the nut is tight, the rim of the nut is staked into the grove to lock the nut. Also the nut comes with a locking agent embedded in the threads.

The grove & stake are at the end of the white stripe.

Yes, I've seen both types. They probably changed it on the S-2 model. :)

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
So my nut and washer arrived :D
Ive decided to go with the nut & washer kit (3.7$), part number 90891-10124.

I did not find anywhere what this kit contains, so ordered it blindly.
But for 3.7$, was worth the "risk".

It contains the following:

90179-18006 - nut (12mm thick, size 32)
90215-21290 - washer

Separately the nut would cost 10.4$, and the washer would be 6.77$.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The first picture on that post (with the two pictures) appears to NOT have any flats.

The second picture, appears to have two flats.

If someone with an S1 can confirm yea or nay, if they have a flat on the output shaft would be appeciated.

As an FYI, as FI posted, the S2 has the nut staked to the output shaft.

This seems to be a better setup (I have NOT heard of ANY S2's coming loose). When I replaced my OEM front sprocket (S2), I used an air gun. The air gun /NUT had CONSTANT DRAG with that nut until it was FULLY OFF (easily 20 ft lbs drag until fully off).

Last edited:

bogdan192

Reaction score
Visit site

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me recently. Only it stripped the threads.

My local Yamaha service refused to repair the bike and stopped responding to my emails after asking them if there is a recall for the 2004 model to fix this problem.

So my very skillful mechanic had to get creative with the shaft :D.

http://www.motociclism.ro/forum/ind...tach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1134676

http://www.motociclism.ro/forum/ind...tach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1135206

Sorry to hear that Bogdan,
im glad you managed to solve it with your local mechanic.
I was opting for that version as well (since the nearest Yamaha dealership is about 75 km away from my town - it is kinda frustrating to me), but i found a webshop ( motomus dot ro ) that delivers oem parts in Romania, and it was cheap.

Btw., greetings from HR county.