Gear Grinding into first

Mark85

Hairy Faced Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I'm not the most technically minded person in the world, and i've got a problem with my bike. It doesn't do it all the time, but it's not very nice when it does.
it's an 09 fz6 with about 2,200 miles on the clock. Sometimes when i change from either N into 1st, or from 2nd into first, there is a god awful grinding noise. like somethings grinding against metal teeth. It doesn't sound good, and doesn't always happen. This leads me to believe it's something to do with the clutch cable but i'm not sure.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Mark

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
idle too high, clutch not disengaging properly (cable or internal issue)
or worn syncro are a few things that pop into my bean, the first 2 are
pretty easy to check/adjust, and certainly what I'd start with before
looking at any internal issues

Mark85

Hairy Faced Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
idle too high, clutch not disengaging properly (cable or internal issue)
or worn syncro are a few things that pop into my bean, the first 2 are
pretty easy to check/adjust, and certainly what I'd start with before
looking at any internal issues

I problably should have mentioned, this is happening when the clutch is fully pulled in. It doesn't always happen. I could probably let the clutch out, pull it in a second later and have nothing go wrong.
does this change anything? sorry for being a mong and not stating this in the first place.

Cheers
Mark

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks even more like the clutch needs adjusting if it's still happening with it fully pulled in. Do you have a Haynes manual? If not get thee down to Halfords pronto

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
If this is an 09 with only 2200 miles on it why don't you just take it back to the dealer and have them adjust it properly. It's obviously still under warranty and if it's anything more serious and you mess with it they may try to say you caused the damage or made it worse .

I have an 09 with almost the exact same mileage and that's what I would do. I don't plan on doing anything besides mods and routine maintenance ( oil & filter changes) myself until it's off warranty. Then I'll try to fix things myself before paying $75/hr.

PS: Mine doesn't "grind" but sometimes there is a definite THUNK as it goes into first. And, occasionally it feels like it doesn't click into first gear if I don't downshift all the way to first before I stop moving, but I just let the clutch out a slight bit and it falls into gear. Or, lastly on occasion if I am in neutral it will not kick down into first, so I just let out the clutch and then pull in the clutch and it goes in. I don't consider these problems, just quirks, but if they get any worse or more often then I will take it in and let them check it out.

Last edited:

Mark85

Hairy Faced Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
If this is an 09 with only 2200 miles on it why don't you just take it back to the dealer and have them adjust it properly. It's obviously still under warranty and if it's anything more serious and you mess with it they may try to say you caused the damage or made it worse .

I have an 09 with almost the exact same mileage and that's what I would do. I don't plan on doing anything besides mods and routine maintenance ( oil & filter changes) myself until it's off warranty. Then I'll try to fix things myself before paying $75/hr.

PS: Mine doesn't "grind" but sometimes there is a definite THUNK as it goes into first. And, occasionally it feels like it doesn't click into first gear if I don't downshift all the way to first before I stop moving, but I just let the clutch out a slight bit and it falls into gear. Or, lastly on occasion if I am in neutral it will not kick down into first, so I just let out the clutch and then pull in the clutch and it goes in. I don't consider these problems, just quirks, but if they get any worse or more often then I will take it in and let them check it out.

Thanks very much for your help there.
I've already found the "quirks", and they don't bother me in the slightest. I'm going to take your advice though and book it in tomorrow
Cheers for all the help guys.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem, I think you'll find its when the bike is revving too hard in second or nuetral to move down into first (or your carrying too much speed), also seems to happen if your not putting enough force when downshifting.
I had a similar problem, and make an effort now to move down into first at higher speeds (or blip the throttle if you do) and to be a bit more forceful shifting into 1st. Doesn't happen any more.

Its probably a bad habit I learnt on my 250 where I could chuck it down into 1st for engine braking (while applying brakes of course) a bit higher than the FZ6 prefers.

Mark85

Hairy Faced Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem, I think you'll find its when the bike is revving too hard in second or nuetral to move down into first (or your carrying too much speed), also seems to happen if your not putting enough force when downshifting.
I had a similar problem, and make an effort now to move down into first at higher speeds (or blip the throttle if you do) and to be a bit more forceful shifting into 1st. Doesn't happen any more.

Its probably a bad habit I learnt on my 250 where I could chuck it down into 1st for engine braking (while applying brakes of course) a bit higher than the FZ6 prefers.

I agree what you mean about how it happens when you try to shift down slowly. If i stamp it in, it never happens.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea exactly, it happened alot to me when the dealer did all my clutch adjustment, when I did it myself it almost entirely went away. That being said the bike is very finiky (sp?) about gear shifting, and it lets you know if its not pleased with your attempt :D

I think probably not stamping it down hard enough (because the bike seems to have a HUUUUGE gap between first and second) and being too high in the revs when trying to move down are the main culprits.
That being said if its a new bike under warranty I would definately get it checked out if its bothering you, I seemed to manage to remove the issue as I got more used to the bike, so I didn't bother in the end. (Yes i'm lazy!)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A problem some of the newer FJRs are having are that the clutch disc's sticking/dragging. This causes shifiting problems as well.

The repair that Yamaha (and board members) have been doing is removing the clutch plates (fiber plates) and soaking them in engine oil over night. This has been reported as making a VERY BIG difference in shifting and the transmission... Something to perhaps look into....

Scott

FJR Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

promega

Reaction score
Visit site
A problem some of the newer FJRs are having are that the clutch disc's sticking/dragging. This causes shifiting problems as well.

The repair that Yamaha (and board members) have been doing is removing the clutch plates (fiber plates) and soaking them in engine oil over night. This has been reported as making a VERY BIG difference in shifting and the transmission... Something to perhaps look into....

Scott

FJR Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

I wonder if you could just over fill your bike with oil and let it sit over night, then draing most it out. Seems like a good lazy mans aproach.

I get the grinding noise when i am letting the clutch out slowly in first or second at high rpms (trying to go fast). I am hoping a oil change will cure this. I just got th e bilke and it has about 2800 miles on it.

:rolleyes:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't heard of the overfilling thing but I would fianagle the clutch lever to hold the clutch plates apart while left over night. I do know, Yamaha was doing it under warranty for the newer bikes... If did make a big difference in the FJR..

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
interesting. i got my bike with 1200 on the clock. first few times i shifted into first i too heard this grinding noise. i came from a honda gl650 which had a much different tranny. since then i have learned to slam it into 1st and haven't had the problem. i figured it was just one of the quirks of the bike. that along with the big clunk into 2nd. i'll check my cluck when i get a chance. especially if some of you are saying this doesn't happen to you.