Gas milage

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
1st tank was 40 mpg. Not horrible, but I had hoped for better. 2nd tank was 47mpg. Now, that's more like it! Can I expect even better?

John

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My first tank was 36 mpg. Second was 41 mpg. The third is shaping up to be better. When I had my '05, after about 1200 miles, it settled in to 50 +/- 2 mpg on a tank I took it easy on. 42 - 45 if I was out to hit some twisties! 50 - 55 has been the best I've heard about.

H

HavBlue

Over the 4 years I have owned my bike the worst mileage I ever got was 38 and change but this was a long run at speeds just around 100mph. The best the bike has ever pulled was like 56 and this was simply because I was cruising with a Gold Wing group at like 65-75 mph but I managed like 254 out of the tank. In general the bike is between 43 and 48 depending on the ride...

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
I seem to remember getting mid 40's sometime last season, maybe high 40's when I took it easy. I always heard about people getting 50+mpg and could never figure out how. However, since then I added a Vortex 15t sprocket on the front and find myself running in higher revs (change in riding style) all the time and I average around 35-39mpg now. I used to put around town at 3.5-4k rpm, now it's probably 1k higher all around. And when I'm having fun, I usualyl run above 8000rpm to redline.

Whatever doesn't bother me as much since my car only gets 19-20.5mpg, so it's an improvement for me :lol

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
since my break in period ended i have been hovering around 47 or so MPG, not bad, my YZF600r used to get 55ish, so i miss it.

On a slightly off topic note, anyone notice that you can get about 100 miles out of the first two bars on the gas gauge and then it drops bars like crazy after that?

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I got 48 on the last tank and that was not taking it easy. I could easily see getting 50 if that was my plan ......but it is not :p

Bard--- the only vehicle I have ever owned that had a accurate guage from start to finish is my BMW 325i --- dead on

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
since my break in period ended i have been hovering around 47 or so MPG, not bad, my YZF600r used to get 55ish, so i miss it.

On a slightly off topic note, anyone notice that you can get about 100 miles out of the first two bars on the gas gauge and then it drops bars like crazy after that?

I never have gotten much over 39mpg...:eek:
but it seems my bars are fairly accurate, most drop around 20-25 miles

edit: how are you guys measuring you mileage? Reset trip meter and divide it into gallons?

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
The first one I measured was 34mpg and change. I have been keeping it in low gears for power in case needed. But I am changing my driving style lately, to make sure that it is just me.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site

I haven't noticed on mine if it's like that but i will next time. I'm frankly not surprised though. I think Yamahas gas guages have a tendency to be as accurate as their speedos. My 07 Attak snowmobile is the same way- speedo seems to be 5-10% fast, and i've driven 20 miles with the low fuel light on and it still only took 7 gallons (keep in mind snomomobiles have 10 gallon tanks and that Genesis 150 in a sled averages 15-17 mpg). One of our older ones, a two stroke, burned through half a tank in 75 miles and the second half in 25......... My truck is the same way as well. With everything being electronic these days anyway, i don't understand why manufacures can't better calibrate them....

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you get that? My first tank was like 26. now i'm up to about 37.

I fill up on the centerstand with as much gas as it will hold. I think this helps in consitency. I divide the number of miles on my trip meter by the number of gallons it takes.

My ride to work is 14 miles with only three stops and the speed limit is 50mph. I'm sure that helps too...

John

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
I seem to be in the 50MPG +/- 2 for most tanks. That is with almost all highway, and generally not a lot of room to do much more than go with the flow...

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Third fill on the new bike... Still on break-in. I got 45.9 mpg. Not bad at all. I expect this to increase to 50 +/- 2 by the time I hit 1500 miles. 452 miles as of this morning.... Need more riding time!

PhillyMatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I get between 43 and 50 mpg for most of my riding assuming the trip is right since the speedometer is between 8-9% off for me. Going between 70 and 80 mph most of the time. Almost all my riding is on highways.

And the gas gauge is the same for mine, the first 2 bars is about 100 miles.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Third fill on the new bike... Still on break-in. I got 45.9 mpg. Not bad at all. I expect this to increase to 50 +/- 2 by the time I hit 1500 miles. 452 miles as of this morning.... Need more riding time!

I hit 1500 miles this morning at fillup.... forgot to calculate the MPG though, i was so blinded by the price to fill up

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone get better milage with different grades of gas? Reg. Plus. or Super

Not with grades but with stations and their additives. I get the worst mileage out of Gulf and a close second (worse) with Exxon or Mobil (same jerks) but with Shell/Texaco I get the best gas mileage. I've tested this with my older bike as well as three cages using a rotaying fillup schedule between the three brands. I tried to do this during the same temperate months with each vehicle. With the Tundra (V8) I used to have, it was 2 - 3 mpg difference. May not sound like much but we're talking about a truck that gets 15 mpg on a good drive!

Try them all, more than once and see what you find. I'm curious to see if it follows my findings. Needless to say, I only stop at Shell/Texaco unless I can't find one.

Also, fill up the earliest in the day you can when the fuel is colder. You get more in a gallon than when it is warmer. This is just simple thermal dynamics given the expansion rate of fuel per degree of temperature.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Not with grades but with stations and their additives. I get the worst mileage out of Gulf and a close second (worse) with Exxon or Mobil (same jerks) but with Shell/Texaco I get the best gas mileage. I've tested this with my older bike as well as three cages using a rotaying fillup schedule between the three brands. I tried to do this during the same temperate months with each vehicle. With the Tundra (V8) I used to have, it was 2 - 3 mpg difference. May not sound like much but we're talking about a truck that gets 15 mpg on a good drive!

Try them all, more than once and see what you find. I'm curious to see if it follows my findings. Needless to say, I only stop at Shell/Texaco unless I can't find one.

Also, fill up the earliest in the day you can when the fuel is colder. You get more in a gallon than when it is warmer. This is just simple thermal dynamics given the expansion rate of fuel per degree of temperature.
I usually try to buy Shell gas as well, I seem to get the best results with it. Also, you should get better mileage if you find a station that doesnt mix ethanol. It's getting harder and harder though to find stations that don't have the "Mixed with up to 10% ethanol" Ethanol has less energy than gasoline and thus decreses your power for a given amount of fuel so you burn more fuel to make up the power. I don't know how much of a difference it makes overall. If you consider that it has 10% less kick and that most internal combustion engines are only about 20% efficent at best: .2*.1 = .02 or 2% power loss.......... whether or not that's the case, who knows. I've heard of people getting noticably better mileage running non-ethanol blended gas, my Durango on the other hand doesn't seem to have a care in the world as long as it's gas, i still average just plain sh!tty with it.........