FZ6 power restriction?

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
I am clueless about engines and mechanics, so please be patient if I am talking nonsense:spank: or being stupid.:thumbup:
There is some mystery about the details of power restriction.
In Ireland when we first get our full driving license we are restricted, for two years, to a bike of 33bhp or under. No options, no alternatives, thats it. There is also a power to weight restriction, so if you have a massively heavy cruiser that is over 33bhp, you might be legal to drive it.

So I got an FZ6 which is factory restricted to 33bhp, which tbh didn't bother me much. I love to ride but I am a total novice and don't mind something mellower for now, and later I can unlock the full potential of the bike and have a life changing experience. :BLAAA!: ...even restricted the bike easily takes me over all of the irish speed limits:eek:, so maybe restriction could help me stay out of trouble.

However, the restriction is bothering me already. I took the FZ for the first proper spin through the hills and twisties on Saturday (had the bike since October, but with brushing off my rusty riding, and the icy winter, its pretty much all been commuter miles thus far). Had a really great spin altogether, but on the open road I noticed something which has made me a bit worried about how they restrict the FZ6 in the factory.
I know there is a restricter on the throttle, which is fine - easy to understand and simple to remove. And you can see it there, on the outside of the bike.

But I don't think that is all. I have no idea whether the ecu or the fuel ratio is altered? (I get about 230 km to a full tank all the time, seems low?), but yesterday I noticed that 4th, 5th, and 6th gear all hit the same speed at the same revs, more or less. At about 120 km \ 75 mph, all these gears spin at roughly 9000 rpm. Its like changing into the same gear, it really confused me. Its unsettling. I am having dreams about it now, lol. The mystery and uncertainty is the worst part. I am also worried this is gonna cost a lot to get sorted when my restriction period ends. Could it be geared differently? I will have to count the gears again. I bet there are only 5 as well. :spank: 1st 2nd and 3rd are grand. Then 4th is OK, but very little bite to it. And after that nada.

I'm going to have to ask the dealer how much they would charge for unrestricting the bike, maybe that will shed some light.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When do they remove the restriction? That would be a good time to find out how they restrict it.
Could be a number of ways to do that. There might even be a spot in the ECU software to restrict the fueling. This would eliminate having to bug the bike with an inline device and just use throttle plate restriction with the ECU restriction.
It would further eliminate additional costly devices on any model MC that could be removed, eliminating the restriction that could be re-installed later, which of course would compromise the purpose. If that is the case when the ECU is set back to normal there may be a record of WOT operation etc. that will tell the bike has been fudged with.

Probably just a jumper in the harness Huh!? :rolleyes:

:rockon::rockon:Don't feel bad about the dream though cuz I was dreaming about swimming naked in a Juccuzzi filled with beer and naked women! :cheer::cheer: :BLAA:

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon::rockon:Don't feel bad about the dream though cuz I was dreaming about swimming naked in a Juccuzzi filled with beer and naked women! :cheer::cheer: :BLAA:

lol. great dream! :rockon:

Ah its a terrible state of affairs. I don't think they bug the bike though, :confused: also the guys who restrict it wouldn't have any connection with the police or insurance companies, so I doubt they would care much about WOT history, or anything else.

What do they do it though? I am restricted for another 23 months or so, lol, so I am not going to find out any time soon. Still I may make some enquiries.

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure on the FZ6 is just a throttle restrictor. Does not have a specific 33bhp chip like some models have.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I heard of bikes being electronically restricted, but that was a Kawasaki or something. Not sure if it's done on an FZ6 but you'd never know. How about taking the restriction off for a week or so and seeing the difference.

Also my mate just got his restricter off his Kawasaki Z750 and he says it's like he has bought a new bike.

Where did you go for you spin. Blessington - Glendalough area?

:thumbup:

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Taking the throttle plate off sounds good, but tbh i think it would take me longer than a week to get up to the high revs in the high gears! Probably worth a shot though ... :ban: Its the gearing thing that really has me confused\concerned. Maybe there's just one way to find out...

Yep, I went through glencullen out into the hills and in the glendalough direction. Don't know the area too well, but I did find the devils elbow after a while. That ones hard to miss. Plus a few lakes I kind of know. Then after a while there was a crossroads where I went left towards bray\roundwood instead of straight towards laragh, and that road towards roundwood was a fantastic run. Didn't see the back of a car for miles! Despite best efforts!:rockon:

Ended up on the M11 from wicklow :mad:... where I really discovered the gears issue.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

The restriction is in the throttle. Basically it prevents you from opening the throttle fully. There is a swap out part available. I think that you have to present your full licence to a dealer to get the exchange done.
The restriction has been discussed in the past. There are a few threads on it and if I remember correctly there is also a diagram. It is definitely a mechanical restriction and not governed by the ECU.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am clueless about engines and mechanics, so please be patient if I am talking nonsense:spank: or being stupid.:thumbup:
In Ireland when we first get our full driving license we are restricted, for two years, to a bike of 33bhp or under. No options, no alternatives, thats it. There is also a power to weight restriction, so if you have a massively heavy cruiser that is over 33bhp, you might be legal to drive it.

So I got an FZ6 which is factory restricted to 33bhp, which tbh didn't bother me much. I love to ride but I am a total novice and don't mind something mellower for now, and later I can unlock the full potential of the bike and have a life changing experience. :BLAAA!: ...even restricted the bike easily takes me over all of the irish speed limits:eek:, so maybe restriction could help me stay out of trouble.

However, the restriction is bothering me already. I took the FZ for the first proper spin through the hills and twisties on Saturday (had the bike since October, but with brushing off my rusty riding, and the icy winter, its pretty much all been commuter miles thus far). Had a really great spin altogether, but on the open road I noticed something which has made me a bit worried about how they restrict the FZ6 in the factory.
I know there is a restricter on the throttle, which is fine - easy to understand and simple to remove. And you can see it there, on the outside of the bike.

But I don't think that is all. I have no idea whether the ecu or the fuel ratio is altered? (I get about 230 km to a full tank all the time, seems low?), but yesterday I noticed that 4th, 5th, and 6th gear all hit the same speed at the same revs, more or less. At about 120 km \ 75 mph, all these gears spin at roughly 9000 rpm. Its like changing into the same gear, it really confused me. Its unsettling. I am having dreams about it now, lol. The mystery and uncertainty is the worst part. I am also worried this is gonna cost a lot to get sorted when my restriction period ends. Could it be geared differently? I will have to count the gears again. I bet there are only 5 as well. :spank: 1st 2nd and 3rd are grand. Then 4th is OK, but very little bite to it. And after that nada.

I'm going to have to ask the dealer how much they would charge for unrestricting the bike, maybe that will shed some light.
Found this:

Originally Posted by haylo
I got a FZ6 2 months ago, passed my test 2 weeks ago, it's an A2 restricted test, meaning I'm restricted to 33BHP. The dealer restricted the bike for me for free, today I removed the restriction, just to see what it was like.. All I can say is 'OMFG'. The power is insane, no-wonder under 21's have to be restricted here. The power that is available would be absoluteley deadly to rider that's just passed there test.

I thought the bike was quick restricted, but un-restricted, you just have to hold on for dear life. And the noise it makes when you hit 8k RPM is almost orgasmic.

The restriction that is on my bike is different to the ones I've seen on here, but it's the same in principle - throttle restriction. On my one, theres a larger roller that the throttle cable attaches too, but the existing roller is still there, the new one screws over the existing one. This is so that the bike actually has more then 1cm of throttle and the bike isn't as snatchy and the power feels smooth. As well as the roller it also has a small metal plate stopping the roller from opening all the way, which is the bit I removed. It's sooo easy it's silly, I simply undid the nut with my hand and the plate slips off. Was a little fiddly trying to get my fingers in but not that hard. Since I had a 'little blast', I've replaced the stop, I've been riding bikes for 3 years (allbeit 125's), and I aint ready for how much power is available yet, cos I know I'm not sensible enough to have that much and not use it.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/sear...&cof=FORID:9&q=restricted+FZ6+33bhp&sa=Go#762

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Found this:

Originally Posted by haylo
I got a FZ6 2 months ago, passed my test 2 weeks ago, it's an A2 restricted test, meaning I'm restricted to 33BHP. The dealer restricted the bike for me for free, today I removed the restriction, just to see what it was like.. All I can say is 'OMFG'. The power is insane, no-wonder under 21's have to be restricted here. The power that is available would be absoluteley deadly to rider that's just passed there test.

I thought the bike was quick restricted, but un-restricted, you just have to hold on for dear life. And the noise it makes when you hit 8k RPM is almost orgasmic.

The restriction that is on my bike is different to the ones I've seen on here, but it's the same in principle - throttle restriction. On my one, theres a larger roller that the throttle cable attaches too, but the existing roller is still there, the new one screws over the existing one. This is so that the bike actually has more then 1cm of throttle and the bike isn't as snatchy and the power feels smooth. As well as the roller it also has a small metal plate stopping the roller from opening all the way, which is the bit I removed. It's sooo easy it's silly, I simply undid the nut with my hand and the plate slips off. Was a little fiddly trying to get my fingers in but not that hard. Since I had a 'little blast', I've replaced the stop, I've been riding bikes for 3 years (allbeit 125's), and I aint ready for how much power is available yet, cos I know I'm not sensible enough to have that much and not use it.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/sear...&cof=FORID:9&q=restricted+FZ6+33bhp&sa=Go#762

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Who knew they did stuff like this??? Not I!!!

So they equip the bikes with a throttle stop eh? The mechanics of it seem way simpler than a ECU governor control. A long time ago rental cars and u-haul trucks were fitted with speed controlling governors.

I can see in the low gears the engine has a mechanical advantage and would likely pull some decent rpm but as soon a the load goes up, the RPM will drop. Example in 2nd or 3 going down hill I'd bet the engine could hit 10k just like static rev in neutral. However as the load goes up, the RPM will drop.

So are you sure there is no fuel cut off switch enabled over 8000 RPM? All you need a tach output wire and open the ground to the injectors and fuel supply stops! A better system would of course alternate between all the cylinders crippling the engine but you get the idea. . .

Anyway - here in the US you just get on it and die! :(

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Have an update now, bad news.....

I went out to the yamaha factory before work this morning, asked them about the restriction on my bike. According to the guys who built the bike, unrestricting it is not a reasonable thing to do.:(

I didn't get a lot of detail, as I was kind of pressed for time.
There are various different parts in my restricted model. The throttle bodies are different. I don't know what else. I might ask them for a full list, but the price of the stock throttle bodies alone is a strong repellent to getting the restriction lifted.

So it seems the castration is fairly permanent. :banghead::banghead:
legally I'm still not allowed unrestrict it, so I have a while to let this sink in.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site

What bothers me here is not the restriction issue....That can be rectified. However, the RPM issue does not make sense. If you are accurate, and the RPM seems to be the same at one speed, BUT in different gears??? Through a mechanical transmission (vs. an automatic) the RPM's must be different for different gears while going at the SAME speed - otherwise, the clutch is slipping. Clutch slippage is more predominate at higher gears also. Make sure your clutch has proper clearance.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Have an update now, bad news.....

I went out to the yamaha factory before work this morning, asked them about the restriction on my bike. According to the guys who built the bike, unrestricting it is not a reasonable thing to do.:(

I didn't get a lot of detail, as I was kind of pressed for time.
There are various different parts in my restricted model. The throttle bodies are different. I don't know what else. I might ask them for a full list, but the price of the stock throttle bodies alone is a strong repellent to getting the restriction lifted.

So it seems the castration is fairly permanent. :banghead::banghead:
legally I'm still not allowed unrestrict it, so I have a while to let this sink in.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

That doesn't sound right. Maybe they were referring to restricter plates fitted to the throttle bodies. Less air allowed in + throttle restricted = less power. I have a hard time believing that it'd be anything more than what was done to Nelly's FZ though, as that's the most common method of restriction, from what I've read anyways.

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
That doesn't sound right. Maybe they were referring to restricter plates fitted to the throttle bodies. Less air allowed in + throttle restricted = less power. I have a hard time believing that it'd be anything more than what was done to Nelly's FZ though, as that's the most common method of restriction, from what I've read anyways.

I know, I assumed it would be something like that when I bought it, but its difficult to find any specifics in the public domain, that is - google. The bike was built to this spec, in the factory, when I ordered it. And it is that factory that I was at yesterday. I probably wouldn't have bought it restricted if I had known the restriction was so complicated.

What bothers me here is not the restriction issue....That can be rectified. However, the RPM issue does not make sense. If you are accurate, and the RPM seems to be the same at one speed, BUT in different gears??? Through a mechanical transmission (vs. an automatic) the RPM's must be different for different gears while going at the SAME speed - otherwise, the clutch is slipping. Clutch slippage is more predominate at higher gears also. Make sure your clutch has proper clearance.

Thanks for the tip. How would I check the clutch clearance? :confused:
Better get a haynes manual.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

What makes you think the clutch is slipping? Did you see this post?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/37124-fz6-power-restriction.html#post397452

So they equip the bikes with a throttle stop eh? The mechanics of it seem way simpler than a ECU governor control.

I can see in the low gears the engine has a mechanical advantage and would likely pull some decent rpm but as soon a the load goes up, the RPM will drop. Example in 2nd or 3 going down hill I'd bet the engine could hit 10k just like static rev in neutral. However as the load goes up, the RPM will drop.

So are you sure there is no fuel cut off switch enabled over 8000 RPM? All you need a tach output wire and open the ground to the injectors and fuel supply stops! A better system would of course alternate between all the cylinders crippling the engine but you get the idea. . .

Anyway - here in the US you just get on it and die! :(

It 's very likely it simply doesn't make enough torque at that throttle setting to make any rpm. Its restricted and out of power. Try putting 50th rear sprocket on it (reduce the load). lol

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm fairly ignorant, but isn't the restrictor plate fitted to the throttle cable? not the throttle bodies.

Yeah, they usually are. I was just pondering maybe they did something else on his bike though, as the shop he contacted mentioned the throttle bodies, so I thought maybe some plates for further restriction? Just a guess really. lol

Do you think you can post some pics of the throttle body area? I'll bet once we can see it, we can get a good idea of what's going on there.