FZ6 power restriction?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesn't sound right. Maybe they were referring to restricter plates fitted to the throttle bodies. Less air allowed in + throttle restricted = less power. I have a hard time believing that it'd be anything more than what was done to Nelly's FZ though, as that's the most common method of restriction, from what I've read anyways.
Hi Mate,

It wasn't my bike that was restricted. The info came from another Irish member.
All that was required on his bike. Was the throttle cable guide be replaced.
Having said that. This part looks different to the one that was removed.
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=300568314196
So it may be different for the earlier models?

Nelly

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,

It wasn't my bike that was restricted. The info came from another Irish member.
All that was required on his bike. Was the throttle cable guide be replaced.
Having said that. This part looks different to the one that was r
emoved.
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=300568314196
So it may be different for the earlier models?

Nelly

Hmmm. I wonder was that bike restricted from the factory, Or was it an after market job..?

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, they usually are. I was just pondering maybe they did something else on his bike though, as the shop he contacted mentioned the throttle bodies, so I thought maybe some plates for further restriction? Just a guess really. lol

Do you think you can post some pics of the throttle body area? I'll bet once we can see it, we can get a good idea of what's going on there.

Any chance you could post a photo of your own throttle bodies? (sounds dirty)
... I'm having trouble finding mine. Can you see them through the airbox?
:eek:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance you could post a photo of your own throttle bodies? (sounds dirty)
... I'm having trouble finding mine. Can you see them through the airbox?
:eek:

Haha, yeah, no problem! As for where they are, the air box sits on top of them. Air enters the air box, goes through the air filter, then into the throttle bodies. You can see them from either side of the bike, though the view isn't the best. If you remove the seat, and prop up the tank, you can see them. Start off snapping a pic from the right side of the moto for starters, you should see the throttle cable going around a plate of sorts. Meh, hard to describe. lol Give it a try and we'll go from there. I'll try and snap a pic at work tomorrow.

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, yeah, no problem! As for where they are, the air box sits on top of them. Air enters the air box, goes through the air filter, then into the throttle bodies. You can see them from either side of the bike, though the view isn't the best. If you remove the seat, and prop up the tank, you can see them. Start off snapping a pic from the right side of the moto for starters, you should see the throttle cable going around a plate of sorts. Meh, hard to describe. lol Give it a try and we'll go from there. I'll try and snap a pic at work tomorrow.

Thanks!

I got these ones there, wasn't sure if I was photographing the right thing. Are they clear enough? (doesn't seem to show anything to me, no surprise)
thrBod1.jpg

thrBod2.jpg

Yeah, not much to see. ...:confused:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Close! lol Try getting a pic of the back of the throttle bodies while the tank is lifted. That way we can get a peek at the linkage. Also take one from the right side of the moto, so we can see that assembly as well.

So far they look like standard FZ TB's, nothing unique. Good so far!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon::rockon:Don't feel bad about the dream though cuz I was dreaming about swimming naked in a Juccuzzi filled with beer and naked women! :cheer::cheer: :BLAA:

Don't lie. It only looked like beer because of all the bubbles.

Cliff, you nasty.

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Close! lol Try getting a pic of the back of the throttle bodies while the tank is lifted.

Do I need to remove the airbox? :eek:
Nothing doing for a bit anyway, since I have a large bolt in my rear tire. Balls. So I'll be sorting that out over the next couple of days, and leaving my bike in here in work. :| :|

In those pictures i took, the front of the bike is at the bottom of the picture. Should I be trying to snap a photo more from the back of the bike (top of the photo), at the base of the airbox?
(i'm hoping I don't need to take any more wires out, or remove the airbox...)

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, no need to pull the air box. Just snap the the things from the base of the air box(coming from the rear of the bike), and the right side.

I'm betting your restriction is just the standard plate, and maybe the shop is just trying to scam some cash out of you by saying there's a ton of work to do, when there really isn't. Or they really don't know, so they just spew a bunch of BS.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good! Yep, as I suspected those are just standard FZ6 throttle bodies. Looks like the moto shop was giving you a load of BS. It's restricted at the throttle plate(is that what it's called? lol), where the throttle cable meets up with the throttle bodies. It's just a throttle restricter, which can easily be removed. There's a thread on here some where with good pictures, but I can't seem to find it now. lol Search around. If I find it first I'll post a link. Hate it when I can't find a thread I know exists. :banghead:

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
thoooooose bastards..

I posted some pretty good pictures of it myself actually, when I first got the bike. Its so glaringly obvious even I can recognise it to take a picture :D

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...possible-lower-overall-power-temporarily.html

So I guess if I want I just take off the throttle restrictor. If I was really curious I could maybe do that, and then compare it to a standard FZ6. Not through an expensive dyno, but maybe revs in a certain gear at a certain speed? would that make sense?

Thanks for the help!:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thrBod1.jpg

thrBod2.jpg

Yeah, not much to see. ...:confused:

OT!

On the contrary!
It seems this engine has some blowby from the rings and its finding its way towards the air-box! Notice the film of oil at the 3 ports?

It could also be that the oil was over filled??? radexS1, have ever done a compression test or pulled the plugs to inspect them?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are these any use?

2011-07-20%25252018.17.40.jpg

2011-07-20%25252018.17.32.jpg

2011-07-20%25252018.18.09.jpg

2011-07-20%25252018.16.55.jpg

lol, i really have no idea what I'm taking pictures of ! Any comments are welcome.

Not so much as none show the end of the throttle shaft where the cables connect. I'll give you an A for effort! :)

You're looking for this:
1901.jpg

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
OT!

On the contrary!
It seems this engine has some blowby from the rings and its finding its way towards the air-box! Notice the film of oil at the 3 ports?

It could also be that the oil was over filled??? radexS1, have ever done a compression test or pulled the plugs to inspect them?

No! :eek::eek: **** I should probably check the plugs! Thanks for noticing that! If I take the plugs out will I have to check clearances on them, with a tool I don't have? (Haynes arrived today, was having a look through).

RE that other picture, thats my picture dude. thats the throttle stopper plate, or whatever you want to call it, see the link I posted above.

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
****balls, that has me freaked out now. I'm gonna go out and open the airbox again, and confirm that there is an oily residue in there...

There's been no issues with ignition or starting or anything. There's no lag in power or anything when its running (just the obvious reduction thereof).

I don't really know what problems to look out for from over filling oil or whatever you are describing... but I don't think I have been noticing any. Anyway I'm out to have a look.

radexS1

Reaction score
Visit site
can only see it clearly with the flash - in photos. can't see much at all otherwise.

2011-07-22%25252021.12.30.jpg

2011-07-22%25252021.12.05.jpg

this next picture is the top, the cover of the airbox. The part photographed is the bit directly above those three valves
2011-07-22%25252021.11.08.jpg

EDIT: just having a read of some google results, I think this amount of oil is probably normal for my level of usage. It really is a thin film, you can barely see it at all except when the flash of the camera bounces off it. It seems it could be caused by condensing oil vapours passed up to the airbox as part of normal engine operation. I could probably do with a new oil filter all the same. Its on my list of things to do.

Last edited:

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not going to reply to the power restriction, but what I will say is that if as you go into higher gears, and the rpm's stay constant and speed hasn't increased, your clutch is slipping.
Clutch slippage becomes more apparent in higher gears. This will also seem as a loss of power. Make sure there is sufficient clearance in the clutch cable. I actually have almost 1/2" free play at the end of my lever. I have found the Yamaha clutch really good, and doesn't drag - disengages well.
One thing to keep in mind is that the clutch lining is only a few thousandths thick, and although with oil and proper care it may last a long time, once it starts slipping, it will wear out quickly.