Fz6 Axel/Bearing Wine?

viser_08

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just installed new tires on my bike (mich pilot road 2 - Love them!) and I serviced the bearings, axel shafts, and all the other goodies. I dont remember while riding the bike before having a whine when driving it. I bought the bike last year and only rode it like once or twice. All of the bearings and nuts are torqued to specs. The only thing I can think of is a possibley too tight drive chain. Any ideas or experiences from anybody?

Kyle

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Chain too tight or rear wheel out of alignment. The FZ's seem to be very sensitive to wheel alignment for creating noise. Do not trust the marks on the swingarm for alignment. Use a straight edge or similar to get the rear wheel aligned.

Spike1423

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the exact same issue after I got new tires. A friend told me he could hear the whine from my bike from far away. I thought it was the new tires so i let it go for several months. I cleaned my chain (it was very dirty) and got rid of most of the whine. After reading this thread, I will adjust the chain. It does appear a little tight (done by the dealer).

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the pilot road 2's as well and mine are noisy around 45-55mph. They were noisy on my previous Triumph as well.
This is interesting. I just mounted some Michelin Road 2s about a month ago and am noticing the same thing; whining noise starting about 45 mph up to about 55. Probably doing it above 55 but too much wind noise to tell. I've adjusted chain tension and aligned rear wheel but no better. Anyone else chime in on noise from their Pilot Road 2?

Andyjo

Reaction score
Visit site
This is sort of funny.. my fiance and I just got back from a ride today, and she was complaining about the wining noise, said it hurt her ears? I hear it.. but don't think it hurts my ears!
But yeah, same thing 45-55mphish, it's pretty loud, all I can really hear when the engine is ~4k rpm
I'll try re-tensioning the chain to yamaha's spec... like 8" of play right? :rolleyes:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have PR2's on my FZ and didn't hear any new noises(love em). I do have a Scorpion exhaust so that doesn't help any.

I'd clean and lube the chain real good then re-adjust it. Make sure there's no binding when your spinning the rear wheel by hand.

Maybe lift the ft end up (on the center stand with a sizzor jack under the header) and check the front wheel also for any binding/play, etc....

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just installed new tires on my bike (mich pilot road 2 - Love them!) and I serviced the bearings, axel shafts, and all the other goodies. I dont remember while riding the bike before having a whine when driving it. I bought the bike last year and only rode it like once or twice. All of the bearings and nuts are torqued to specs. The only thing I can think of is a possibley too tight drive chain. Any ideas or experiences from anybody?

Kyle

This is interesting. I just mounted some Michelin Road 2s about a month ago and am noticing the same thing; whining noise starting about 45 mph up to about 55. Probably doing it above 55 but too much wind noise to tell. I've adjusted chain tension and aligned rear wheel but no better. Anyone else chime in on noise from their Pilot Road 2?

Just a quick follow up. I picked up a nail in that rear PR2 after about 500 miles. :mad: Anyway, new PR2 installed. It's made in Taiwan like my first PR2, and born only a week after previous tire, but no road noise on this one. Never spotted any defects or had any reason to suspect first tire but something made it sing! Go figure.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Defo check the chain and alignment. Even a couple of mm out will cause the whine.

Nelly

jetnriver

Scot
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a noise that is concerning me. The noise is similar to what has been described here, but I don't feel mine is tire related, and the noise is heard at all speeds. Its very loud, as loud as the motor, but doesn't match the motor sound. It is a speed specific sound, the faster you go, the higher in pitch the sound gets.

I have a video posted on youtube.

"FZ6 on Bogus Basin Road"
username: jetnriver

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtIrf_hOH70]YouTube - FZ6 on Bogus Basin Road[/ame]

Any input would be appreciated :) Thanks!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have PR2's, on the second rear with no whine. Had problems in the past but adjusted the chain - it was a little loose and did a wheel alignment. Problem was fixed. I attribute it to chain a little loose and the alignment was off by less than an inch at the front wheel when measured using the string method.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of spot on suggestions here. :D

When I read the thread title, I thought, is this a new blend of wine? What would it taste like, this axel and bearing wine?

But I see... it is "axle" and "whine" so I'll have a Sam Adams instead. ;)

:justkidding: :scared: :iconbeer:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Since you just installed new tires. I would probably guess that's what it is.

I might tend to agree. My stock Bridgestones whine, (especially the front one). I once had a Wing to pass my car on the interstate and all you could hear was the whine of his tires.