FZ1 or R1

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
To all you FZ1 and R1 owners. One of these days I'll upgrade to a litre bike. I really like the looks of the new R1 in yellow but the FZ1 in blue looks sweet, too. I'm leaning towards the R1 but I'm a little worried that my back might get sore after a few hours of riding on it. My wife loves the R1 and that is her choice, hands down ( I have a wonderful wife). Do you R1 owners get a sore back? And, you FZ1 owners, does the FZ1 really handle as well as the FZ6? One thing I don't like about the 6 is the throttle response. From giving it no throttle to giving it about a quarter throttle, it comes on too fast and it gives a surge of power all of a sudden, kind of jerky. I don't know how to explain it any better, so I hope you know what I'm saying. Does the FZ1 have a smoother throttle response or is it about the same as the 6? Aside from the throttle response, I can't think of anything else that I don't like about the 6. I'm 54 but I'm still a kid at heart, and I really like the R1, but I am worried about a sore back. Can I get some feed back from you guys? Thanks.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
why are all the fz1 bits coming up as a rollover link that way?

edit: wtf its doing it in mine too. must be a filter on forum.

clever idea.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
that would be a hard choice for me to make as well the power of the 09 R1 is amazing but at the same time I could'nt see my self on it all day like the FZ1 I really want the 09 R1 engine in an FZ1 I guess

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
I would go for the R1 100%
The little bit added comfort on the FZ1 would not be enough for me.

If it is comfort you want ... get a FJR1300.

Last edited:

JJP XX

Reaction score
Visit site
In my garage at any given time is an 08 ZX14, 04 VFR, and an 05 FZ6.

In my opinion, the FZ has the smoothest throttle response of the three.

I rode an 03 R1 for a short while. It has great power, handles like a cat on a rug but for comfort, no way.

+1 on the FJR as I had an 04 and routinely did 500 plus days.

:)

Crotalus

Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever you choose, let us know what you think of the new purchase. I have dreams of the R1, but if they are as uncomfortable as I think they are, then I would be happier with the fz6 or fz1. I like to ride for at least an hour without stops...

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever you choose, let us know what you think of the new purchase. I have dreams of the R1, but if they are as uncomfortable as I think they are, then I would be happier with the fz6 or fz1. I like to ride for at least an hour without stops...

The R1 isn't that bad comparing to the FZ6 ...
An R6 those little ****ers are uncomfortable ... :eek:

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 all the way. The added comfort more than makes up for the lack of overall power, especially when it's just not needed 90 percent of the time. And, check with your insurance agent, that may certainly be the deciding factor!

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I would probably not use all of the power of any of these 2 bikes, although I do use it on my FZ6 quite often. I love to ride on the twisties but at the same time, I do quite a bit of freeway riding. My rides with friends consist of about 4 to 6 hours of riding with stops every so often mostly on twisty roads. And I do use the bike for a commuter to work of about 20 miles, but that's nothing. I don't do a lot of touring. OK, I haven't done ANY touring. I guess, based on these things, I'll probably get the R1. But sadly, this won't be for at least another year or so.:( Thanks for the feedback, folks. Keep on riding, but ride safe.

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont own one, but I have ridden a 2003 R1 and a 2008 R1... and on both, I wished for the more comfortable riding position I now enjoy on my FZ6. Being that the FZ1 has a riding position more like the FZ6 has, I'd opt for the FZ1.

effingham brian

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I just switched from my FZ6 to an R6 last week. I must say that I had a lot of second thoughts at first. My FZ6 was so comfortable, why would I switch ??? Well, after a week of riding the R6 (1300 miles) I'm starting to prefer the lower riding position, especially on the interstate. It's actually very comfortable once you learn to keep your weight off the bars and keep "a loose grip".
If I only had one day of riding or had just sat on the R6 in the store, I would have been like "no way !" this is so uncomfortable. the point being, it took a while to get used to the lower bars and foot peg positions.
well, my $.02 anyway....

Brian

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I went from a 2007 FZ6 into a 2008 R1. The FZ1 was a serious contender in my decision, I have spent a lot of time on both. For me, the FZ1 didn't feel as sporty as even the FZ6. The seating position is more comfortable, which would be great for long distance touring, but if you are never going overnight I would not consider the FZ1. Even a good friend of mine who owns an FZ1 always wants to ride my R1. As for comfort, don't forget that at 60+ mph there is more than enough wind on your chest to take almost all the weight off your wrists.

bluez

Reaction score
Visit site
I would probably not use all of the power of any of these 2 bikes....

Man I hope not! I rode a 2005 FZ1 prior to getting my FZ6 and that thing was a BEAST. It was easy to ride slow and smooth, but when you gave it a little, it reacted immediately and asked for more. I think I held on to that thing more tightly than any other bike.

Try to ride both bikes- I passed on the FZ1 (it was used but in showroom condition) because it was actually uncomfortable. The seat and tank are pretty wide, at least on the older style- the outsides of my hips were killing me after about one minute of riding time. If not for that, I'd have bought it.