bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Front Sprocket help

i just have changed it yesterday,,it was fairly easy , definitely need to lock the rear wheel to stop the sprocket from spinning...i have installed a AFAM 15tooth sprocket,,,noticed a pretty good change in acceleration ,especially on 2nd gear..there is a little bit of extra whining going on right now,,i made sure to line the rear tire up nicely,,,i dont know maybe it will dissappear in time,,,nothing major anyways....

i will ride it with my gps to see what kind of difference it made to the actual speed vs indicated...

Did you use a impact gun? How did you lock up the back tire? When i made the first post, I already had the rear tire off. I put it back on and tried again. But the bike would move when i tried to take the front sprocket off. So im going to do like Admin replied with and get a impact gun.
Thanks

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Front Sprocket help

Did you use a impact gun? How did you lock up the back tire? When i made the first post, I already had the rear tire off. I put it back on and tried again. But the bike would move when i tried to take the front sprocket off. So im going to do like Admin replied with and get a impact gun.
Thanks

i didnt use an impact gun but im sure it will be more effective....i actually had someone sit on the back seat while i unscrewed the nut,,,so with 2 people it was easy ;)

Johnnylane

Reaction score
Visit site
Front Sprocket Change

Does anyone have an idea what the torque changes to with the change from the stock 16-tooth front counter sprocket to the 15-tooth? This for a 2007, US FZ6.

I believe the stock 16-tooth delivers 46.5 foot-pounds at 10,000 rpms. What happens to the torque when the 15-tooth sprocket is installed?

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
Re: Front Sprocket Change

Does anyone have an idea what the torque changes to with the change from the stock 16-tooth front counter sprocket to the 15-tooth? This for a 2007, US FZ6.

I believe the stock 16-tooth delivers 46.5 foot-pounds at 10,000 rpms. What happens to the torque when the 15-tooth sprocket is installed?

It doesn't change the torque delivered, it just makes the torque applied at a lower rpm. I'm not sure the exact figure, but since you're revving the engine higher to hit the same speeds, you are likely to spend more time in the powerband, and thus feel more torque at lower speeds

sledjeski

Reaction score
Visit site

The available torque at a given engine speed and gear is determined by the engine output, the transmission ratio, and the final drive ratio. I think the stock final drive is something like 16/46; going to a 15/46 will result in about 7% additional torque with the engine speed and gear selection being equal.

At a given motorcycle speed, say 65 mph on the on ramp curve. You get the 7% from the gearing "plus" the extra torque the engine is making due to the increased rpm needed to achieve this motorcycle speed. It's the most economical performance (acceleration) enhancement - you get the benefit as soon as the clutch is engaged.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

At a given motorcycle speed, say 65 mph on the on ramp curve. You get the 7% from the gearing "plus" the extra torque the engine is making due to the increased rpm needed to achieve this motorcycle speed.

That's kind of a misleading way of explaining it...at least for me it is.

Your HP and torque curves will look exactly the same...they will simply occurs at slower speeds (top speed in each gear will be lower). It's like having a bigger lever...more leverage to put power down.

You simply wind the bike out faster but it's not due to a power or torque increase. :steve:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Another sprocket thread but a new question

I know the stock front sprocket has a rubber insert in it but I'm not entirely sure what it's for. I assume it's to act as a cushion and keep the noise down. Anyway, if I bought a 15T 'Yamaha Genuine Part' as a replacement, would that have the rubber insert? If not, then I'll get a Renthal or something.

sasper

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Another sprocket thread but a new question

Also, some people have said that while the rubber damper may help cut down on noise and vibrations, it also could be the source of the "uncomfortable" shifts with the FZ6, since it delays the response between the transmission and the power plant.

I've noticed this as well, as the crappy shifts have virtually been eliminated on my bike since the new steel 15t sprocket up front.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Re: Another sprocket thread but a new question

Thanks! So why don't the do a 'real' replacement in various sizes? Probably because they don't recommend you change the gearing. (He answers his own question.)

Is it really any noisier or have a lot more vibrations without it?

Last edited:

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
-1 sprocket

I have ordered a -1 sprocket for the front anyone who has this mod done what are the effects on fuel milage, and what rpm are you noticing power changes around. A friend of mine had a honda cbr600f4 and when we put one tooth smaller on the front of his everytime we shifted gears the front end came off the ground so we put the stock one back on. What are the pro and cons of this setup? I guess that is what i want to know.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: -1 sprocket

A few guys have done the mod, Wavex aka David, DefyInertia aka Nate. PM one of those guys to get the low down. David actually lists it as his number one mod. I personally don't see wheelies as a negative to the mod. I am hoping for some of the same once my speedo healer is installed.

Nelly

Last edited:

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site

im riding the bike with the -1 sprocket,,,,the mpg changes only if you are traveling at the highway speeds for the range of the full tank...and not by that much either....
about the front end coming up,,,at 1st gear power wheelies are a little bit easier and at 2nd if you really push hard you can clutch a wheelie,,but thats about it,,,,its not as powerful as the cbr and you will never have an accidential wheelie with only -1 front....acceleration makes a difference,,i like it...some members have -1/+2 setup ,,i really would like to hear their stories...that would be a nightmare at the highway,,,i cant even stand mine..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

im riding the bike with the -1 sprocket,,,,the mpg changes only if you are traveling at the highway speeds for the range of the full tank...and not by that much either....
about the front end coming up,,,at 1st gear power wheelies are a little bit easier and at 2nd if you really push hard you can clutch a wheelie,,but thats about it,,,,its not as powerful as the cbr and you will never have an accidential wheelie with only -1 front....acceleration makes a difference,,i like it...some members have -1/+2 setup ,,i really would like to hear their stories...that would be a nightmare at the highway,,,i cant even stand mine..
Hey mate,
I don't wish to hijack the thread but what can't you stand about it? I am hopping its still ok up to about 100mph. or is it to buzzy.

nelly

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey mate,
I don't wish to hijack the thread but what can't you stand about it? I am hopping its still ok up to about 100mph. or is it to buzzy.

nelly

Hey Nelly !

i wouldnt have any problems if i could play with it at speeds over 70mph but with the strict police enforcement around here,i have to travel at the same speed for long long times and it reached to a point where my cruising speed is exactly at the buzz spot of the engine,,,i cant go any faster or ill get a ticket,,and i definitely dont wanna go slower....so that sucks about it...i have to feel the buzz all the way...

i think CanadianFZ has the 17t front,,,im pretty sure hes having a good time at the highway.. :) i wish changing it was a little bit easier so we could swap it to the desired purpose all the time...

i mean i could deal with it but it just is a little bit annoying thats it,,,if i was doing highway riding everyday like i used to,,i wouldnt keep it on the bike,,,but its fine for now,,,i like the acceleration :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks Fella,

I will give it a go as it is a cheap mod. Not to difficult to swap out. My commute is pretty short so the acceleration would be good.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site

....acceleration makes a difference,,i like it...some members have -1/+2 setup ,,i really would like to hear their stories...that would be a nightmare at the highway,,,i cant even stand mine..

I will be doing my -1/+2 mod as soon as I get my speedohealer, I'll make sure to writeup my experiences. :thumbup:

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site

You can do an unintentional wheelie in stock form.