First Accident on a Bike

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, very sorry to hear about your accident, especially the way it happened. Good for you to see it coming in time to brake and hopefully avoid a more serious outcome than you had.

Take care of yourself; I hope you heal quickly.

Travis

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn... That sounded serious. Glad to hear you're relatively okay! Too bad your bike ended up the way it did, but that's not important when you think of what could have happened!

Get well soon, and get yourself on a bike as soon as possible. Otherwise you might never ride again. Trust me, over time things like this can make you mentally unable to ride again. The longer you wait, the worse it gets.

Phat Tony

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I talked to his insurance theyclaimed 100% liability so I can delve into details.

I was in the far left lane doing 50-55mph two motorcyles in lane to my right rear, 100m to the car in front of me and 50m between me and the car behind me. I was a divided highway I so I had the concrete divider to my left with maybe only a few feet between that and the lane markers. I saw in the corner of my eye a car passing in the off ramp lane and then it just made a hard turn to the left crossed in front of traffice perpendicular to the direction of the highway. I grabbed my brakes to keep from running into the side of him. Felt the back wheel come off the ground then it was ground, sky, ground, skid, grinding, stop. I wiggle my toes, take the bike off my left foot and start yelling at the guy getting out of his car that wrecked into the concrete divider. I tried to get to my feet so I could go hit the guy but didn't make it past yelling and moving slightly. The other guys on the bikes later told me that I avoided hitting him broadside but he bounced off the divider and hit the rear of my bike as I passed him. The stupid driver got out of his car with a cast on his right foot talking about how his axle went out, the proceeded to say that his mechanic said his axle was bad. I did the best I could with the limited time I had. After the fact I went through the scenario a few times and I couldn't have speeded up to avoid it. I couldn't have swerved to the right to avoid him since it would have still required me to get on the brakes which might have put me on the ground in front of traffic. I slowed down enough that I didn't get killed and slid maybe 50 feet.

Anyway the adjuster is coming this week to look at the bike and my lawyer has the accident report, he said it looks good. That might be lawyerese for that sucker is toast.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup! That sucker is TOAST! :D

Glad you've able to type to us all about it! Heal fast, get a new ride and get back out there. Wife needs to understand, it's not something you did and it may never happen again.

For this reason, I always avoid the highways if I possibly can. Besides, back roads are a lot more fun on the bike! Slabbing is for cages. :D

Take care!!! Can't wait to see the pics!

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
D@mn, D@mn, D@mn. :( Times like this you can't say 'sin ken ken' :noworries: you just have to :spank: and :spank: and :spank: and again :spank:
No you have to explain and take the whole bike thing up to the powers to be and that only because of such an idiot. :ban:

Glad you're somewhat okay and hope it quickly calms down at home :bow:

Phat Tony

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
here are some pics

000_0009.jpg

000_0007.jpg

000_0005.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up and pics. You're lucky you didn't get runned over on the freeway. After reading the details, only other option may have been to swerve. But as a new rider, or for most riders even expereinced, your natural reaction is to hit the brakes. But there comes a point in which you are better off to swerve than try to stop. Not sure if this would have been one of these moments and try to swerve. Tough call.

If it's totaled, with only 400 miles on the bike, there are a lot of parts on the bike that are still good, and pretty much new. Like the chain + sprockets, brake pads, calipers, cables, fresh horn button that still has the ink markings, etc. I would love to get my hands on those items.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DUDE!!!!!!......That wreck right there sounded like something in an action movie!!!!!!......Whew!!!..3 lanes sideway,s..Wild....glad to here you came out pretty much allright,minus the bat like beating!!:D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn... That sounded serious. Glad to hear you're relatively okay! Too bad your bike ended up the way it did, but that's not important when you think of what could have happened!

Get well soon, and get yourself on a bike as soon as possible. Otherwise you might never ride again. Trust me, over time things like this can make you mentally unable to ride again. The longer you wait, the worse it gets.

+1:cheer::thumbup:

After my accident back in September, I had to take almost 6 months off before I could ride again because of my injuries. That first time back on the bike was a little nerve-racking, but I'm glad I did it and I'm now in the market for a new bike.

Last edited:

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry man that's the craps. Glad you lived, it could have been so much worse. Yeah I think there is somthing "tweaked" about the back end on your bike... yeah there's sooooommmmmthing wrong.... cant put my finger on it, it'll come to me if I stare at the picture for a while...hmph. Yup Its toast. Glad you're not!!

What kind of gear were you wearing? Pretty good stuff to keep you alive and all. Glad you wore it? Did you bust your helmet? I'm told you can only get away with one major impact to a helmet, I know I would be dead if it weren't for my helmet a few times over.:eek:

Maybe you could get a super cool RED one next??:thumbup:

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident and real glad to hear you came out of it pretty well. Hope the hip heals fast. Just goes to show, you never know where the idiots will come at you from...

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I like to think that if I'm vigilant enough that I could avoid most freeway problems. Hard to imagine what you could have done different here. As they say in the MSF literature, "Traffic safety is shared responsibility with other road users." That's a euphemism for "you can do everything right and still get nailed." That may have been the case here.

Despite this awful story, freeways are the safest places for motorcycles. No left turners (usually), no deer jumping out, no blind alleys, no one backing out of driveway, everyone going the same way.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
That's sick man! Glad to see you're ok, and also glad you lawyer'd up. Those pricks at the insurance company have a business to run (taking your money and not spending any) which means you gotta get somebody to get it for you. Best of luck, and like previously said... Some pretty nice parts which could be sold when you get 'er back...

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn mate, that sucks. Thanks for the pics. Glad you came out of it alive, as was just mentioned... sounds like something from the movies.

I'm in the same boat as you too, if I ever have an accident on the bike, I doubt my wife will want me get another... As much as I would want one.

If it's totaled, with only 400 miles on the bike, there are a lot of parts on the bike that are still good, and pretty much new. Like the chain + sprockets, brake pads, calipers, cables, fresh horn button that still has the ink markings, etc. I would love to get my hands on those items.

I was thinking the same a VR, I'm sitting here salivating over the "bit's" that you could sell. Would love the calipers (and front forks if they're not bent) and the swingarm... be much better than my old "04 model ;)

:)