First Accident on a Bike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just found this thread, Holy Crap, how awful...you are one lucky boy...pity about the bike too...I say, once you have recovered, see how you feel about getting back on the bike...but if it's gonna cause grief at home...maybe you should walk away...Family matters more than any bike.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude it was your lucky day, who can ever antisapate a car shooting across 3 lanes of traffic and then bounce off a wall to then hit them(to have a emergancy response) no one, i really think you have done damn well to be walking away from this and with so little(hopefully) personal damage. It sounds like you didnt panic because you say you hit the front brake and not the back, mso bravo to you and your response. Get well soon and lets hope you get extremely well compensated, by a fool by the sounds. ( By the way if someone said to me their mechanic said thir axle was on the way out, i would say they were talking crap, unless it was meant to be diff, because no one can tell about a axle, more likely they dropped their mobile phone)

Phat Tony

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Going to get my CT scan results tomorrow. I'll tell you the equipment was a life saver. All of which is toast now. Had a joe rocket leather mesh jacket, Fulmer helmet, cortech leather and kevlar gloves, some jeans and timberlands. My road rash is less than the sie of a dime on my knee. the bruises on the other hand span from mid thigh to almost my armpit. If the insurance company totals it and lets me keep it I'll part it out to recover what the insurance didn't pay for on a basically new bike. I'll keep everyone informed. Heck i would even sell the thing whole for somebody else to part it out if there was interest. Anyway i will keep you posted I'm waiting for the adjuster to come by.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy cow dude. So glad to hear you're ok-ish. That would've been a horror:eek:.

I hope all goes well with you your bike and your family. So happy to hear you were wearing gear. It makes so much difference to the outcome.

Cheers
Mike

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Going to get my CT scan results tomorrow. I'll tell you the equipment was a life saver. All of which is toast now. Had a joe rocket leather mesh jacket, Fulmer helmet, cortech leather and kevlar gloves, some jeans and timberlands. My road rash is less than the sie of a dime on my knee. the bruises on the other hand span from mid thigh to almost my armpit. If the insurance company totals it and lets me keep it I'll part it out to recover what the insurance didn't pay for on a basically new bike. I'll keep everyone informed. Heck i would even sell the thing whole for somebody else to part it out if there was interest. Anyway i will keep you posted I'm waiting for the adjuster to come by.

Generally the way this works is that they will find the "fair market value" of the bike before it was crashed. Since you only have 400 miles on it, they SHOULD pay close to the full amount of the bike. This is where a lawyer comes in handy because they will likely low ball you.

After this part is settled, you have the opportunity to BUY the bike back at a salvage price. This price is determined by how much the insurance company will get for the bike when selling it to a scrap yard. Mine was valued around $2000 when I wrecked in September. I don't think age of the bike or mileage is really a factor with this number, so keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to part it out. You'll need to recoup at least what you spent on buying it back, plus your time to take it apart and ship parts out.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, there are several people on this forum that are physicians, including myself. If you have questions about your CT results, PM me and I'll see if I can help explain things better for you.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Tony,
I'm really glad that you were able to walk away from this accident. And good job on the avoidance. You can use the latter as ammo (proof of your skill...) for your new bike argument...

Perhaps you've done an interview on the site (and I can go look and read it), but if not, how much riding experience had you had before this or before this bike? Were you a true 400 mile new rider?

You say you got a little road rash on your knee and were only wearing jeans?! Amazing. When you slid were you on top of the bike or hanging on to it? Sliding on your back/jacket? You mention pulling the bike off of you when you came to rest. How did your gloves and hands fair -- how would your rate your gloves for crash worthiness? Any major marks on your helmet? I'm assuming they checked you out for a concussion?

I'm not married so can't know how to deal with your wife's reaction to the crash and the notion of your getting a new bike. I really hope that, if you enjoyed riding, you're able to find your way back onto a bike, and sooner rather than later (as has been mentioned).

I'm really glad that you're still with us.

Phat Tony

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those were the only 315 miles I had ever ridden. The fz6 was my first bike (hopefully not the last). I slid on my left side pretty much with the bike. I didn't go very far. I had slowed down alot. I was probably 50 feet from the car when it was all done and over. My gloves held up well but enough damage was done to warrant new ones. The helmet is scratched on the side and will also be replaced.

A

Aggietaco

Wow man! Glad to hear you're OK and it's too bad about the new bike. I'm sure your insurance will treat you well.

W

wrightme43

Damn it man. You are lucky to even be here to talk with us. Bike car collisions at freeway speeds are usually fatal.

The dude is beyond screwed. The stupid stated that his mechanic told him his axle was bad. He has had months of knowing its bad, a cv axle warns you for a very very long time before it fails

Oddly enough when I was reading the description in my mind I thought broken axle would be a common cause of this type of hard accel and shooting across lanes of traffic crash. I thought well he has a good case for negligence and improper maintence of vehicle leading to property damage and physical injury. Then he broke all sorts of stupid and said he already knew about it??????

Dont settle for a small amount of money. Injuries just hurt worse and worse as you get older. My left wrist will hurt for the rest of my life. I settled with out a lawyer for 5000$ when it was crushed by a ladies car. I was a dumb ass.

(PLEASE IF YOU WORK FOR INSURNCE COMPANY EXCUSE MY RANT)

Insurance companies are evil scumball bastiches. Evil manipulative scumball bastiches. Lying manipulative evil scumballs. Evil Evil Evil lying bastiches.

Get a real good lawyer.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well what would have happened if you were driving a car? if it would have smashed into your rear/side (a car does stop quicker, so instead of hitting the rear of ur bike, it would have smashed into your side). In the car you wouldn't be wearing a helmet or any other kind of protective gear, and possibly get smashed in the head by the side of your car being misformed by the other car.

So there's no way your wife can blame this on riding a motorcycle, because it may have saved your life. (at least this is one way to look at it)

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sorry to hear about the accident. The motorcycle isn't even broken in yet! About the insurance, if it is a total loss, in my accident they pretty much gave me KBB value which I thought was pretty fair. Since your FZ6 is so new, I believe you should get a pretty good amount back. You also seem to have a very caring wife. Get well soon and please keeps us posted!

PAULED

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Tony,

just reading thru this thread:eek: and glad you are ok, the bike can be replaced you can't. One up for the safety gear. So once again glad you are ok.

Cheers

Phat Tony

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The results of the CT scan were negative for a break in my hip but the doctor said I lost a unit of blood in my side from the impact. Long road ahead for recovery. I'll keep everyone posted.

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
glad you are ok , and for describing the incident. I can relate to the Sky, Ground, Sky scenario when some noob cut me off in my early riding career

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well you did good mate, in those few seconds you were able to slow down and try to get an escape route.
Kudos to you, glad to here you are OK.

take care

Nelly

Phat Tony

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

Have had quite a few more x-rays and it turns out while my hip is non broke two of my ribs are broke. Still no word from the Insurance company about the property damage amount.

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
dude, glad your ok.

someone may have already said this, but you need to make sure that they are not only going to pay for damage/replacement of your bike but also for your helmet, jacket, jeans, shoes, gloves, wristwatch, eyeglasses (anything that might have been damaged). I mean you were blindsided by a negligent idiot. You should not be out a flipping dime for this. And there should be some compensation for work lost and pain and suffering and all your time going to doctors and your gas to get too and from those appointments. You are already out quite a few bucks for all this and you need to make that insurance company write you a big fatty check to make up for it. Have your lawyer paint them a picture of what your life would have looked like if this turd had gone and gotten his car fixed when he was told to and had never hit you. You would be riding around on you brand spanking new bike with your brand new gear with no bruises, no broken ribs, and no doctors appts and no days out of work and no lawyers fees to get you the money you deserve to be compensated for your trouble. And if they start b!+(#!N& about how this is too much, then you need subtly remind them about how they could be buying you an new motorized wheelchair and one of those handy pressure point rotating self inflating beds for paralized people and hiring someone to wipe your ass and change your diaper and throw ball with your kids for you because of this negligent idiots decision not to put a set of $400 half shafts on his POS ride. Ride this train man.

Screw insurance companies and screw negligent turds!!!

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
As someone who has had ribs cracked, I sympathize with you, they will be sore for quite a while. Laughing hurts and coughing is pure hell (if you're a smoker, this might help you quit).

Heal quickly and I hope your liar makes that rat b@st@rd pay!