Finally dropped/crashed the bike

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I meant to put the smiley face.

Preface: Everyone keeps telling me I will drop my bike, do not crash, do not die, and "there are people who dropped their bikes and people who haven't dropped their bikes YET". So I have always been dreading "the first time".

Today, about a hour ago. I was pulling into my drive way, got on the grass and was driving around the house to park out back (one of my theft prevention methods). My roommate had just pulled into the driveway behind me and my neighbor was sitting on her porch with her dog. Well the dog starts barking... whatever. As I am passing the dog he decides to run in front of my damn bike. Now, I always use the back brake at these speeds, but I have never had to stop suddenly at 5mph either. Anyhow, I slam on the front brake (b/c I am a dumb*ss), tire locks on semi-wet grass, steering wheel turns all the way, and bike starts to fall... my foot slips on the wet grass and bike lands on left side. I still had a death grip on it and the engine redlines. I let go and hit the kill switch. My roommate is laughing his *ss off; I am throwing gloves and helmet and cussing at the neighbors dog. My roommate helps me pick up my bike... and no damage at all!! Just some dirt in the frame slider.

:D:):Flash::rockon:

Then I had some beers...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'd have laughed too but I'd also have kicked the dog THEN had some beers! Aren't ya glad you bought the sliders?

JakeFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my bike a few weeks ago. I was running late for work. Got to the car park and I forgot to put my side stand down(I normally do this as I undo my helmet because im so late I have to multi-task) and the bike just slams down!

Green fluid leaked out and I thought I had killed my bike. Turns out its just an overflow pipe for the coolant.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, but I am not sure it did much. Probably softened the blow. I still heard the fairing/mirror crunch when it hit, but no damage. The slider went completely into the ground to the point that the parts around it were touching the ground (it has been raining for about 4 days). The handle bar pushed into the earth a bit too.

I thought the bikes had a tip over switch, by the way??? Glad it didn't exist/get switched though.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
It takes a few seconds for the tip over kill switch to do its thing. Just like it takes a few seconds for you to be able to restart the bike after you pick it backup:thumbup:

Bryan

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the old saying goes: There are only two types of riders; Those who have dropped there bikes, and those that will !

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
that is probably the best first drop to have. no damage to you or your machine. now, keep it that way!

H

HavBlue

I think the old saying goes: There are only two types of riders; Those who have dropped there bikes, and those that will !

Then I guess the same could be said for going down......

penalty vector

Reaction score
Visit site
I did about the same thing a few months ago. Pulling into a parking spot, made a real tight 180 & used the front brake to slow down. The bike just leaned over on its side. I couldn't hold it up. The mirror suffered a very small scratch. :(

The worst part was someone saw me do it. Very embarassing

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh well Diver, it like that first scratch on a new car, it hurts but now you got the apprehension out your system.

My FZ hasn't been down yet but I have have crashed hard on EVERY motorcycle I've ever owned. But then again, I'm dumb...

J

jsteinb95

Yes, I meant to put the smiley face.

Preface: Everyone keeps telling me I will drop my bike, do not crash, do not die, and "there are people who dropped their bikes and people who haven't dropped their bikes YET". So I have always been dreading "the first time".

Today, about a hour ago. I was pulling into my drive way, got on the grass and was driving around the house to park out back (one of my theft prevention methods). My roommate had just pulled into the driveway behind me and my neighbor was sitting on her porch with her dog. Well the dog starts barking... whatever. As I am passing the dog he decides to run in front of my damn bike. Now, I always use the back brake at these speeds, but I have never had to stop suddenly at 5mph either. Anyhow, I slam on the front brake (b/c I am a dumb*ss), tire locks on semi-wet grass, steering wheel turns all the way, and bike starts to fall... my foot slips on the wet grass and bike lands on left side. I still had a death grip on it and the engine redlines. I let go and hit the kill switch. My roommate is laughing his *ss off; I am throwing gloves and helmet and cussing at the neighbors dog. My roommate helps me pick up my bike... and no damage at all!! Just some dirt in the frame slider.

:D:):Flash::rockon:

Then I had some beers...

whew.......glad there is no damage. Did your neighbor say anything????

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
The first time I dropped my bike, I had just bought it. I had probably 20 miles on the OD as I took a long ride the very same day. I had stopped at a friends to use the bathroom and have a drink, it was a hot day. On my way out, I thought to cut across his yard and over his neighbors driveway. It seemed such a hassle to back the bike out. lol. The neighbors driveway was about 4 inches above the grass and when I went up I was at an angle, the rear tire caught the pavement and just slid out, the front locked up and dropped straight down. What could you do? I just jumped off it with a quickness and let it drop. Painful scratches on the fairing, I didnt think about frame sliders, the side where the slider would go is scratched, and the right side mirror has a scratch. Man I figure since I paid 7k for it, I must have lost 600 or 1k instantly with the scratches. Now I dont worry bout it, its been down now.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
whew.......glad there is no damage. Did your neighbor say anything????

She was speechless at first and took her dog inside. Then I had the beers with her and joked about it all night. All in all it was a good night... a hot famous chick gave me a hug. My hangover hurts right now though.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds similar to my "crash" only mine was on the pavement. The only damage to my bike was a dent in the tank from my knee as I struggled to keep it from falling over. Glad to hear noting was damaged. Grass is a great place to drop a bike if you have to drop it.