Finally dropped/crashed the bike

Never heard of her, what does she do?

I've done the 'getting-off-without-putting-the-sidestand-down' style dismount, the bike (my old FJ600, NOT the Missus FZ!) just fell over, hit me on the arse and sent me flying forward into the dirt.

Later I somehow managed not to get round a corner, took out a hedge and ended up in hospital for a month with a broken back! Try and avoid that if you can.

slow mo drop

First of all thanks to the people in this forum for all of the posts and threads for new riders, especially the slow motion drills and practice suggestions and links. It is far easier and safer to figure out your new motorcycle (I'd say bike, but I have one of those too), counter-steer and counter-weight in an empty parking lot than at speed in traffic.
Last night I was practicing figure eights in an almost empty parking lot, I was hanging off the outside of the turn and the handle bars had made contact with the frame (that is about as tight a turn as you can make) at about 6mph and this guy on a Hayabusa rolls up. I thought that I might run into him (not a chance, he was one with his ride). I slammed on the brakes and my pride and joy ('05 black and silver with only 2520 miles) fell over on the left side. Talk about embarassed! He stopped, asked me if I was just learning and after watching my pathetic attempt to raise my motorcycle did that for me too! You meet the nicest people on motorcycles.
No damage at all, my Uncaged sliders were worth every penny.
Next Time:
1. I will pick a really deserted place to practice.
2. I have practiced picking my motorcycle up off the ground. There is a lot of technique involved, kind of like pulling it up onto the center stand but a lot more work (remember to have the side stand out). I'm sure I will need this skill again. Be careful laying it down, it weighs 423# dry.
3. Now that I have figured out how to pick up a motorcycle, I will be able to stop and help someone who has dropped his/hers.

Enjoy the curves.

Back