2010 Yamaha FZ8

2011_FZ8_EUR_BWC1_STA_001_yamaha_tcm46-357440.jpg

2011_FAZER8_EUR_BWC1_AOE_001_yamaha_tcm46-357379.jpg

Last edited:

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
Bye bye FZ6/Fazer6 from the Yamaha website :(

Oh well all good things come to an end! I don't care much for the styling of the Fazer8 but I'm sure it'll be a good ride with the new motor/suspension etc...

Shame it's not a crossplane crank 800 :D

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
They should have left the undertail exhaust. It has inverted forks, that's nice, but it doesn't say if they're adjustable or not :confused: Rear shock looks like it's still just spring preload. All in all not sure why they replaced the FZ6 with this FZ8 except people are silly and think more cc is always better. Like the GSXR-750 syndrome.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
They should have left the undertail exhaust. It has inverted forks, that's nice, but it doesn't say if they're adjustable or not :confused: Rear shock looks like it's still just spring preload. All in all not sure why they replaced the FZ6 with this FZ8 except people are silly and think more cc is always better. Like the GSXR-750 syndrome.

I agree on the exhaust although manufacturers claim that underseat exhausts raise the bikes centre of gravity! Are we, the normal road riders, THAT tuned into the bike to notice? I didn't notice any change when I fitted my top box, still get the pegs dug in! :D...

Forks do look nice, I'm guessing they're off the R6. More power is always nice and in the case of the GSXR750, Suzuki got it just right. Same size & weight as a 600 but with more grunt. Don't quite understand why Yam have sleeved down the FZ1 engine though. Cheap, yes, but it's weighty and the power gains over the 6 don't seem to be significant.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
te site says that the engine is all new.. if new = sleeved fz1 engine then i would say its not new.. that and can anyone translate what the hp/tq numbers are??

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't all look bad, but it doesn't all look good either.

Pros: forks, style, motor
Cons: suspension adjustablilty? no grab rails? cheap looking exhaust.

It's a nice looking bike. Maybe if it sells well, the second generation model will be an improvement. I'd like to know how the FZ8 compares to the other yamahas on the parts compatability chart, too.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you guys are nuts. That is an awesome machine, and I seriously hope this makes it to our shore.
All around grunt, mid-weight (only 6 lbs heavier than US FZ6), excellent styling and quality components. This is what we've been asking for. Sure, the undertail is gone. But quality exhausts will be cheaper and will have lots of options, maybe a high-mount?

I absolutely love this bike in concept, can't say for sure unless I ride one. But if it makes it here, my beloved FZ6 will be handed down to my girl and I will be in the showroom with $ in hand and a huge grin on my face.

Love: swingarm, forks, brakes, gold accents, speedo, seats, gas tank, naked front, frame, tail light and rear section, front fender.

2011_FZ8_EUR_SMX_STU_007_yamaha_tcm46-357536.jpg

Last edited:

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the gold forks with the gold wheels. Makes it look a little Ducati like, and breaks up the black-on-balck-on-black that is so common nowadays. I hope the suspension is adjustable, and I really, REALLY miss the underseat exhaust. In my opinion, that was the defining trait of the FZ6. Either way, I hope we see this in the USA, although, after reading the specs, it seems like a FZ1 with a smaller motor.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
te site says that the engine is all new.. if new = sleeved fz1 engine then i would say its not new.. that and can anyone translate what the hp/tq numbers are??

104.73 HP
60.47 lb/ft

...4 more horsepower at the crank? Really? I'd be greatful for the extra 12 pound feet, but those numbers still surprise me.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is practically identical in "core" to the FZ1. Same frame, sub-frame and engine/tranny blocks.

They changed the heads, sleeved the cylinders and the intake. They obviously put in a slightly taller CAM to get the torque up while keeping the power down.

Down 10mm on the front discs but up 22mm on the rear disk.

Overall dimensions are identical to the FZ1 to include weight!?!? 1 liter less gas...

Someone commented on "no grab rails"? The N models of the FZ series don't come with rails at all, just the grab strap. The faired models all have grab rails though.

Last, since this is based off the FZ1, they couldn't "keep" the undertail exhaust as this design never had it. That would have meant a major design change. What they went after is a bike they can produce to introduce their iteration of that class but without having to change much on the production line. Now, they can roll the 8 and the 1 off the line back to back without a lot of downtime to rework production.

Smart thinkers there. Not so smart when they didn't shave a fair amount of weight off the bike in other places though!

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
I am really not very excited about this bike at all. When I get ready for a new bike in a few years, I can't really think of any reason I would choose this over the FZ1.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Now, they can roll the 8 and the 1 off the line back to back without a lot of downtime to rework production.

Smart thinkers there. Not so smart when they didn't shave a fair amount of weight off the bike in other places though!

As a supply chain guy, I say "well put." As a motorcycle consumer, however, I worry if the finished product is still compelling enough to sell units.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took one of the new gallery shots and found a pic of my FZ1 to compare it to. Here's the two side-by-side.

attachment.php

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
yessir, kissing cousins. Looks like the headers are angled out a little further, and the radiators have a shroud. Otherwise...

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Reading FZ1inNH's post makes me wonder why they even bothered making this bike. It's just a dumbed down FZ1, but maybe that's an over-simplification on my part...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, looks like an FZ1..too much so i reckon, and only 104hp at the crank....sheesh, that is dissapointing...

:(