Fazer8 Full details

104.73 HP
60.47 lb/ft

...4 more horsepower at the crank? Really? I'd be greatful for the extra 12 pound feet, but those numbers still surprise me.

Yes, but I am sure the power curve is completely different with tons of torque available. NO more double downshifts required.

I see the resemblance to the FZ1 as a great thing. It should look the same as the frame and lump are shared. This should be priced lower, be cheaper on insurance, better on gas, and more nimble than its larger brother. If they bring it over naked, it should really help set it apart from the FZ1 as well.

Last edited:
The good thing about it being an FZ1 is that all the third-party parts should be available immediately so we can mod it to the max starting day 1!

Link to all the pictures:
Full specifications and photos released for Yamaha's new middleweights - the FZ8 and Fazer8

This is the one we all feared though, No pre-load on front suspension.

Is this B@ll@cks or the Dogs B@ll@cks? Personally I like the bike, hate the zorst. Even the Zorst hanger is a much cheaper effort than the FZ1.
The FZ1 engine and after market can might be the best MOD going for this bike.
I would still get one though as I like the overall styling package.

I can't wait for the group FZ6, FZ8, FZ1 test that all the UK mags will run (no doubt still slating the brilliant FZ6) I might even get M to post me one over.

Nelly

Last edited:
Its an awesome bike, I will give Yamaha that. But is it really a big step over the FZ6 and is it even worth it compared to the FZ1? We can only see. For now, I think the FZ6 is a better choice for me.

My humble opinion is

1.- Yamaha will analyze what is the market reaction between FZ1 and FZ8. Many people get scared with FZ1 extreme power delivery, so maybe the 800 motor is better suited for them. So if there is a strong substitution between FZ1 and FZ8 sales, they will probably cut the first one.

2.- Remember that FZ1 motor is the only one with a 5 valve configuration among its lineup. When the R1 had the same motor, production cost could afford it, but not any more.

I think, in short to medium term, that the lineup will be

Begginers: FZ6R (or XJ6) Diversion
More Experienced : FZ8

Racers : R6/R1
Touring : FJR

What I really don't like about FZ8 is that they cut 2.5 liters from the tank. Being this motor so similar to the FZ1, gas mileage will probably be closer to it, so don't expect it being such a good tourer as the FZ6

Sorry about my english, i'm doing the best i can

All the fuss and secrecy over that :rolleyes:

Not exactly groundbreaking is it?

Very disappointing........

Last edited:
makes me wonder if they will kill the fz1 and make the rd350 or like an fz4??? probably not, but at least with the fz8, insurance prices will still be cheaper than on a fz1...

Way too much common in looks and absolutely disaster in specs. But who knows, Yamaha may surprise us like they did with a more usable and smooth powerband on the FZ6R compared to the on/off top heavy FZ6.

It did gain 21 Nm torq over the FZ6 though. But just 8 ps more than the FZ6 or say 44 ps lower than the FZ1. Cmon!!

What I imagine Yamaha is gonna do is wow the public with a price point. Or at least I hope they do, its a great looking bike and upped what the 6 lacked.

That bike at what the fz6 used to MSRP at or a little more? Would be amazing, don't know if thats possible but would be sweet.

Wow bike so far...

One thing that I felt sad...
This bike seems designed for the street oriented.
I want some more Touring Options.....SAD...:(:confused:

I am totally unimpressed. This may be a big step up for some FZ6R folks but, in my opinion, it is not a very compelling upgrade for someone who has an FZ6. I will be watching and waiting to see what they do with the next generation FZ1 but I can't see myself ever trading in my FZ6 for this bike. Any guesses as to when the next FZ1 is coming?

Link to all the pictures:
Full specifications and photos released for Yamaha's new middleweights - the FZ8 and Fazer8

This is the one we all feared though, No pre-load on front suspension.

Is this B@ll@cks or the Dogs B@ll@cks? Personally I like the bike, hate the zorst. Even the Zorst hanger is a much cheaper effort than the FZ1.
The FZ1 engine and after market can might be the best MOD going for this bike.
I would still get one though as I like the overall styling package.

I can't wait for the group FZ6, FZ8, FZ1 test that all the UK mags will run (no doubt still slating the brilliant FZ6) I might even get M to post me one over.

Nelly
I'll send you my copy when it comes out. ;)

Gotta say, after reading the specs, I will happily stay with my fizzer...the fz8 is quoted as having 104ps at the crank, (and we all know that at the rear wheel that is probably as much as 10hp less) and that it weighs over 200kg! My fizzer has a dyno verified 98hp at the rear wheel, and weighs somewhere close to 160kg's (weighbridge verified)! With the ultra short gearing on my fizzer (14/47) I have heaps of pick up off the line, and my bike has seriously meaningful grunt from about 5500rpm.

As for suspenders, and brakes, the brakes are the same monoblock 4 pot calipers that Yamaha have been putting on lots of it's bikes for years including the fz6 from 2007.

Looks like the rear suspension is only good for pre-load, as it is on the fz6 ( I am lucky enough to have replaced my fz6 shock with a fully adjustable ohlins unit, with ride height adjustment).

As for the forks, the fazer8 seems to be a bit better endowed...a welcome improvement...

The frame and swingarm on the fazer8 look like they come straight from the fz1...is that needed with a bike that puts out 40 less hp than the fz1? I don't reckon.

As for the exhaust...hmmmm, the fazer8 single pipe that exits down low is enormous, and ugly IMHO! Much prefer the fz6's underseat arrangement!

Ok, I could go on trashing the fazer8, but I will stop there...am thinking that the fz6 will only gain in reputation once this bike makes more people realize just how good the fz6 was, and stil is...

Sorry Yamaha, but this bike could of been much much more... How about 125hp, fully adjustable suspenders, and a dry weight around 185kgs...

Along with the 2010 Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Europe has finally officially released the 2010 Yamaha Fazer8 ABS. The 800cc cousin to the FZ8, the Fazer8 gets the obvious anti-lock brake treatment as the name implies. Drawing on styling cues from the larger FZ1, the FazerOcho distinguishes itself by what lies beneath its exposed motor. As was rumored, the Fazer8 borrows from the FZ1’s 998cc motor’s stroke length, making up the smaller displacement with a smaller bore diameter (68mm down from 77mm).
Previous Fazer owners will probably find the Fazer8’s near 485lbs of wet weight as an unwelcomed change from their more slender 600cc counter-parts (450lbs wet), which this bike now replaces. However the Fazer8’s 50% more torque (Fazer8: 62lbs•ft, FZ6: 46lbs•ft) on tap should help quiet the restless souls who have just seen their favorite motorcycle discontinued.
Like the FZ8, the Fazer8 carries many elements over from both the FZ1 and FZ6. However while the FZ8 gets a nose job, the Fazer8 retains the bird/moth/grasshopper head of a front fairing. New for 2010 is the obvious addition of 310mm front disc brakes, which are grappled to a rolling stop by the new ABS system on board. This is done to not only help the bike stop better on uncertain road conditions, but it also seems that Yamaha is trying to segment the market between the two models.
While the FZ8 is geared more towards the performance enthusiast meets street hooligan, the Fazer8’s marketing material is clearly aimed at the sport-tourer inside all of us, making the Fazer8 the proverbial Swiss Army knife of the motorcycling world. The ABS brakes seem to play up this role, and position the bike as an “any situation” rider. Time will tell how that works out for the tuning fork brand. European pricing starts at €8,690, and the Fazer8 comes in white, blue, and black.

..................................US price should be around $9500...

lol with that kinda logic, you could calculate that if 44lb/ft = $7.5k (FZ6), then 62lb/ft should be $10.6k (FZ8).

So if indeed it ends up being $9.5k, your logic would indicate that the FZ8 is a bargain compared to the FZ6 :rof:

Interesting indeed

The new FZ8-series engine is fuel injected, and uses both a throttle valve and an electronically controlled sub-throttle valve to provide additional control over intake airflow volume. The cylinder bodies have a bore and stroke from 68.0×53.6mm. Readings on engine rpm and throttle opening are processed in real time by the ECU, which operates a new stepping motor to control the sub-throttle valves and optimise volumetric efficiency in each part of the rev range. This is one of the many design considerations aimed at boosting low-middle drive.
Another key to the FZ8-series motor’s flexibility is found in the large-capacity 7.8 litre airbox, where the air intake funnels are two different lengths – cylinders 1 and 4 have 125mm intake funnels, where 2 and 3 are 150mm in length, producing an excellent spread of torque throughout the rev range.

Looks like you airbox modders will have even more airbox to cut through on the FZ8 :rof:

Back