Externally mounted HID Projector and protection from the elements

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
I just received my HID Kit off of ebay. I am trying to mount it as an auxiliary light outside to the frame or forks (not inside the existing headlight).

To protect the HID Projector from the elements I am thinking on incasing it in a 1/16 inch acrylic sheet.

1) Do I need to leave any holes in it for heat dissipation or is that not required with HID Kits?
2) If I was to leave a 6mm hole at the bottom facing the ground, I assume that would allow moisture to enter it would form inside the HID Projector, including the bulb and the lens. Would the moisture cause the bulb to blow or damage. Or would the moisture evaporate through the hole as the bulb heats up?

Has anyone done a HID Projector install externally on the bike. I have seen some custom fighters online that have them in a dominator style setup, but they do not detail what they did to element proof the HID Projectors.

Btw, I have the naked FZ6. Any ideas welcome.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Acrylic would work fine. There should be some sort of weep hole as the lights get really hot. They'll fog up. Also, the lens is (usually) a fairly high quality piece of glass, and not chip resistant. You'd need some sort of external lens to protect the glass.

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
How big does the weep hole need to be?
And does the fogging up clear up when the bulb heats up?

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Ended up using silicon glue to seal. Left a tiny hole at the bottom. No fogging up. Seems water resistant.