Don't waste your time with sportbikelites.com

vwtech

Reaction score
Visit site
read my review. https://www.sportbikelites.com/Prod...Code=PROJECTOR+HEADLIGHT+KIT+13&ID=16&yes=yes

Keep this in mind when you read my issues. Yes plural (issues)

I didn't receive a receipt with my order.

This kit has 2 of the same HID projectors. My bike has an h7 and an H4 bulb. Other (QUALITY) kits I have seen on the forums have 2 sizes specific for the holes they are going in. Based on the wiring harness that comes with this kit, it is for a car and not a motorcycle.

These same projectors have no stated position of which way is up. I think I have them correct, based on the tiny, seemingly, sideways picture in the instructions. However, since I can't get the high beams to operate, I have no idea if its correct.

Also the bulbs are loose in the projectors. Have you ever been in front of a vehicle in traffic the has shaky headlights?

The installation diagram I received with the kit is absolutely horrible. It isn't even for my bike. It's for several. The wiring harness only has one headlight connection and no explanation of which headlight connector I should use. (yes, it's a 2 headlight system). I'm assuming I need to move either the low beam wire to the high beam connector or vise versa, but I have no information for this "plug and play" kit.

The wires going to the ccfl and, I think, the high beam solenoids, are about 115 degrees out of position to the slot that the wires are supposed to go through. They can be easily seen because they have to be wrapped around the projector to make it to the slot.

The washers that come with this kit to mount the projectors work decent for the h7 bulb, but the h4 bulb hole is much larger. The huge washer that is in the kit for the h4 hole leaves the entire projector way off angle. I shaved down the edge of one so that it'll stay flush, but then when the projector, washer and nut are installed, there is an approx 1mm gap that leaves the whole thing wobbling in the hole. For a temporary fix I put a rubber ring between the projector and the reflector. That seemed to tighten things up, but I'm afraid the rubber is going to melt or worse, catch fire.

Guys don't waste your money with this company. I emailed them and got a [email protected] response. I called, but no answer and the message box is full. Go figure. I called at 7pm, so maybe they were closed. except I called them 3 nights ago at 9pm and they were open. hmmmmm

If I get no answer tomorrow, I guess I'll have to call visa and cancel the payment.

hockeyredneck14

Reaction score
Visit site
i just got the same kit as you did and i installed it in my bike myself....i completely agree with everything that you said!!! the kit and especially the instructions are horrible!!! the headlights are installed correctly if the gap in the halo is on the bottom of your headlight....i know this because i now need to tear it all apart again and turn the headlights!!

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
wow. thanks for the review. fortunately i didnt purchase from them, if you guys are frustrated with the installation, i dont think i can even start off.

vwtech

Reaction score
Visit site
hockey: did you have issues with the high beams? How did you wire the harness for the one connection?

Edit: I found that the link to their email was [email protected].
It should of been [email protected] . But I finally contacted them through that and they told me to call. WTF.

I sent it back that they need to address my concerns and I'll call them tonight. Hopefully they will address the concerns so when I call they'll have an answer. ARRRRG

Last edited:

hockeyredneck14

Reaction score
Visit site
vw: i did have a problem with the high beams at first, but all i needed to do was switch where i had the low and high beam wires running to that one, three prong black connector. are you talking about the connection with the little red and black wires that are comming out of the little black boxes and have the wire insulator cut back at the end? if so... those are for your halo eyes and the red wires you have to connect together and those go to the load on your on/off switch, you may have to run an extenion wire (also do yourself a favor and go buy a on/off switch, the one they give you is the most worthless switch i have ever sceen!!!!). the black wires are just ground wires connect them together and run an extension wire to a good ground, and a good spot for grounding all the grounds is the bolt that holds your horn on. i hope this is the connection that you were talking about. good luck man because this project was a nightmare and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!!!

vwtech

Reaction score
Visit site
sportbikelites.com HID projector problems

1). I figured out the high beam issue.

The bike shares grounds for high and low beams. The low beam is ALWAYS on, on this motorcycle. So it is the only bike connector that needs to be connected. However, to match the kits harness connector, you need to swap the wires on the bikes low beam connector.

The high beam wire can be left in the connector. On the module in the harness there are 2 small red wires, going to the came terminal, that power the high beam flap solenoids. I cut those, spliced an approx 8 inch wire, attached a male terminal end, and plugged that into the high beam connector. Then I sealed that connection as best as I could with electrical tape. Probably not water-proof but it shouldn't ground out.

I now have high/low operation.

2). For the installation of the projectors (and believe me, I think its half assed), I followed the tech support guys advise (sort of) from when I talked to him this afternoon. I'm afraid over a long period of time this will crack the reflector.

I removed both projectors. The washer kit comes with 5 pairs of washers. Small=1, large=5. The h7 washer is #3 and the h4 washer is #5

On the h7 side, I put #2 on the projector and installed it using the h7 style (#3) washer.

On the h4 side I did the same thing, using both of the h4 washers (#4)

Both of the projectors are more equal distances, out from the reflectors, than the supplied instructions and fit tighter. But it scratches the hell out of the reflector. But I don't think you can see it.

3). The loose HID bulbs still pisses me off. And I forgot to take photos of it.

I took some tiny electrical tape (half the width of normal black tape. Thank you harbor freight). I took an approx 1/2 inch length of it and stretched it around the bottom and the bulbs fit tight and they pushed enough tape back out to fill the gap between the bulb and the retaining screw. (yes it was loose side to side and back and forth. I could of sanded down the back of the projector but I was afraid of dicking up the tiny screw hole that retains the bulb).

I hope this helps. That's all I've done so far. I think it's ready to go back together. I can connect the halo's when I get a wild hair up my butt.

vwtech

Reaction score
Visit site
I should be reassembling the bike tonight and finding interesting ways to secure the ballasts. I sent sportbike lites my pictures and gave them permission to use them. That way, one of us won't have this problem.

vwtech

Reaction score
Visit site
finally installed

finally hot the kit installed and the bike back together. They look good, but the high beams stick on, occasionally. they come off when I flip the switch. I stand by my original statement that I wouldn't recommend this kit. But you live and learn. When I talked to them, the guy stated that they recently got a new supplier for these kits. I wonder if the old kits were better. Oh well.