Exploring my new backyard; The Sierra Mountain Range

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I took the day to explore my new playground. Less than 30 minutes away from Reno you find yourself at 9000 feet! I'm glad I took the time to dig out my winter jacket that I had retired for the summer.

20150711_123718_zpscj2jl9fc.jpg

Soaring above Incline Village, and Lake Tahoe in the background.

20150711_124957_zpsqmrtfrli.jpg

20150711_125047_zpskbe1vlgu.jpg

Lake Tahoe

20150711_130528_zpsaaagqhty.jpg

Look how clear the water is.

20150711_130638_zps77hkod6k.jpg

20150711_131149_zpstszgob2q.jpg

Hmmm, wonder where I should explore tomorrow?

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love Tahoe and the Eastern Sierra Nevada's! Especially in the winter, great skiing (as long as there is snow)! Awesome roads and scenery. Ride safe!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
You have not even begun to see what we have around here. You are going to love it .From 395 ride 89 over Monitor pass, to Hwy 4 over Ebbetts pass and drop down to hwy 108 back over the Sonora Pass to 395. That will keep you busy a day.

I'm headed up to ride in the Trinity Alps next weekend but would be happy to meet in Truckee Sat25th or Sunday 26th. Send me a pm if you can make it and we will plan a good day ride. Doug

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have not even begun to see what we have around here. You are going to love it .From 395 ride 89 over Monitor pass, to Hwy 4 over Ebbetts pass and drop down to hwy 108 back over the Sonora Pass to 395. That will keep you busy a day.

I'm headed up to ride in the Trinity Alps next weekend but would be happy to meet in Truckee Sat25th or Sunday 26th. Send me a pm if you can make it and we will plan a good day ride. Doug

I'm actually moving into my apartment that weekend so that weekend is shot. I have ridden up to the Sonara Pass Summit from the east end and back down from 395. I think it was the most technical road I have ever ridden. At the moment, I'm just exploring, stopping, taking pictures and riding at a relatively leisurely pace versus riding with groups where you are expected to keep up.

20150712_162735_zpsszatsjwj.jpg

Last edited:

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
If you like to ski, Mt Rose is a good option if you live in Reno. It's close and doesn't get as crowded as some spots in Tahoe, and it's got some good terrain too.

Upvote from a Reno native! :)

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
One of my favorite scenic leisurely rides is up Mt. Rose Highway (what you did here) then at Incline Village head down the East Shore of Lake Tahoe. Take Spooner Summit down to Carson City then back to Reno. Spooner Summit is a four lane divided highway that has great sweeping corners. Traffic isn't too heavy usually. Just watch for cops towards the bottom. We usually cruise down it about 80.:cheer: Monitor Pass is super fun too. We have a scenic long-cut to get to Markleeville from Carson City so you don't have to do the long straight (boring) heavily traveled 395 to 88. We usually do an over and back on Monitor because it is so fun. I'm glad you are getting out to explore the area. Rich and I are taking off for Oregon on Thursday for 4 days. We can get together for a ride sometime after that. Rich said you were talking about working on your front forks too sometime. Rich just rebuilt my front forks upgraded valves & springs, new fork seals, oil, etc. I can't wait to try it out tonight. We are going to head up Mt. Rose Highway to eat in Kings Beach at one of our favorite restaurants (Jason's) on the lake. I should have warned you, anytime you head up into the mountains the temps can be a good 10-20 degrees cooler at any time of the year. My in-laws have lived at North Shore Lake Tahoe for 40+ years. They have had snow in every month of the year. Yes, even in August. It didn't stick to the ground, but it was snowflakes floating down (I witnessed this once when visiting).

Highway 49 to Downieville is a very fun ride too. We usually ride all the way to GrassValley on Highway 49. Great lunch place - Bubbas Bagels and then back Highway 49 to Reno. You go West on 80 to Truckee. Then Highway 89 North (this is the extremely scenic part). Turn left at Sierraville (dead ends) and highway turns into Highway 49. This is where the road gets twisty & fun. Be careful, it has a decreasing radius turn on it that sneaks up on you. Also, if it is labeld 20MPH or 15MPH, believe it. Other than that, it is a great fun ride!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you think about our little slice of heaven we call the Sierra Nevadas...

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
So we headed up Mt Rose Highway to check out my new front forks set up/new tire scrub in and we came across a motorcycle accident. We were so sad to see it. It was a sportbike. Not sure which kind - not FZ6 I'm pretty sure. That's always a very upsetting scene to come across. I hope the rider was OK, but it didn't look good. The ambulance wasn't hurrying down the hill to Reno. Anyway, my bike was great. I hit bumps and it was a quick bump then nothing. Before it was very spongy. Tires felt good too. We didn't go too fast on this trip though. The weather was perfect at Lake Tahoe. We ate at Jason's on the deck overlooking Lake Tahoe. Doesn't get better than that. We came home highway 267 to Truckee then I-80 to Reno (we live on the Northwest side of Reno). Very nice evening. We topped off the gas tanks close to home so we will be ready to pull out Thursday morning for our Oregon trip. My thoughts just before I got home "I could do this everyday, all day long". If I could just find someone to pay me to ride, life would be perfect....

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
If you like to ski, Mt Rose is a good option if you live in Reno. It's close and doesn't get as crowded as some spots in Tahoe, and it's got some good terrain too.

I want to see Kenny ride the FZ up to Mt. Rose during the winter. heehee

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Patrick! When did you move!?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I use to ski when I was a teenager, I was pretty good but it's been decades. I got a bad knee too thanks to tearing my ACL a couple of years ago, so I don't think I'm going to risk it.

. If I could just find someone to pay me to ride, life would be perfect....
You can always become a Rider Coach!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny, don't forget to hit Virginia City. Say "hi" to Little Joe, Hoss, Adam, or Mr. Cartwright!

They are actually not in Virginia City. The old "Bonanza" set was in Incline Village (at Lake Tahoe). Unfortunately, it was closed down a few years ago. It was a fun place to take the kids.

But a ride to Virginia City is a great idea!!! Geiger Grade is very fun, but can be pretty dangerous. I lost a riding buddy a few months ago. Another rider came into his lane & they hit head on. Ride defensively.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Monica,

I remember that set. It was a fun place and I I remember it as a kid, too. That series was tremendously popular, huh? Sunday evenings after Walt Disney World I think it played on NBC.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When Monica gets back from her Oregon trip, we all will have to meet up, including Doug. Kind of like a Northern Cal/Nev gathering.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Monica A;614924 Highway 49 to Downieville is a very fun ride too. We usually ride all the way to GrassValley on Highway 49. Great lunch place - Bubbas Bagels and then back Highway 49 to Reno. You go West on 80 to Truckee. Then Highway 89 North (this is the extremely scenic part). Turn left at Sierraville (dead ends) and highway turns into Highway 49. This is where the road gets twisty & fun. Be careful said:
Wait until after labor day to ride this on the weekend cause now in the summer it sucks on the weekend. I live just outside Grass Valley so I know this road well. It's a blast between September and when the snow flies but now it's full of really slow cages.

Looks like we need to plan a forum ride.

Paydrow

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm heading out to Street Vibrations in September the long way round. Possibly camp up in the mountains and turn it into a two day trip. Any one else planning on going out this year?
Reno the long way.jpg