Planning thread for the 2010 California FZ6 Rally

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
NOTE:Refreshed February 2, 2010
Subscribe to this thread for the latest content!
This 1st post will be edited as needed to reflect changes to the scheduled dates, duration and proposed route. When reading through this thread remember that it is a dynamic discussion and will bend and flex as contributions are made. A new, separate thread will be posted once everyone is in agreement with a final itinerary. At that time, this thread will be closed.

3- Smokenu - (Dave)
4- PowellB - (Powell)
5- jtarkany - (John)
6- rsw81 (Rob)
7- scenicware (Jon)
8- frt96 (Name please!!)
C- scottsst (Scott??)
D- Fred (Fred)
E- jbwaterman84 (Name please!!)
F- mxgolf (Name please!!)
3- Coastal mountain range of No. California, San Francisco to Crescent City
4- Sequoia National Park

I'll take the initiative to begin the planning stage of the 2010 FZ6 California Rally. In this thread, those who are interested can help shape the way that this gathering happens. Everyone who wants to attend should consider this as their own vacation/adventure and should speak up on what they want to do.

This trip should occur sometime in the Spring/Summer season of 2010 after the roads are free of snow and the possibility of inclement weather is low. At this time, I would guess that May 8 would be the absolute earliest that we would want to begin. I would like to plan at least 3 days of riding as a group, and when travel time is added in this will be a 5 day commitment for most everyone. From my previous experiences with touring I would suggest that our group riding occurs during weekdays if at all possible. Accommodations will be cheaper and easier to reserve and the scenic roads will be free of weekend traffic.

We can plan on using motels or camping for any or all of the trip. Both have their pros and cons, lets discuss them here. The roads we travel can be anywhere in the state but the prime riding challenges are in the Sierra Mountain range (from Mt. Lassen in the north to Kernville in the south) and the coastal range (from the Oregon border south to San Francisco). I will post a few Google map links of loops that can be tied together and I suggest that others do the same. Depending on group size we should be able to cover 300 miles each day without difficulty, 400 if we push it.

Bike prep is minimal for a journey like this. Tires and brakes should be prime condition. You will be carrying more weight than usual and may encounter rain/sand at any time, this is not the time to be worried about controlling your bike with substandard traction or inadequate stopping power. The usual inspection of fluids, chain, fasteners, etc should take place well before the day you leave for this trip so problems can be addressed.

Gear for the trip is a personal choice in many ways. There are many checklists on FZ6-forum.com and elsewhere on the web. This will be discussed at length in other posts so I won’t elaborate here.

This is a start for now. I will put lists in this top level post as needed to reflect who is committed to showing up, choices of routes and time frame suggestions. Please feel free to discuss anything related to the trip planning here, but keep it on topic. Lets not argue over which chain lube is best, where to buy gear (post it under Product Reviews so every member will see it) or why your boss won’t give you time off from work. We need to agree on the details quickly so the participants can plan in advance for spousal approval, maintenance, etc.

I look forward to meeting some new faces and having a ride to remember. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
John,
Thank you for getting this started.

Sounds like a fantastic trip!
I like camping! For those that don't maybe we can mix it up. I'm in!

Who is going?
1- Cali rider (John)
2- nccoder (Cliff)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Who is going?

1- Cali rider (John)
2- nccoder (Cliff)
3-Vegasrider (Kenny)

I vote for June at the earliest, after Memorial Day Weekend. Warmer the better. I agree with John, weekday or at least part of the trip should involve the weekday for reasons explained.

I'm not a camper and have no camping gear so I prefer lodging. (if the group is large enough, we might be able to get a group rate at a decent hotel)

As far as the destination, I'm flexible. But if it involves four-five days, we can cover a lot of area, so we could expand our ride beyond California, like to Lake Tahoe or even as mentioned, the Oregon Coast. If the Oregon Coast is our destination, maybe our Northwest members could arrange a ride and we could combine the two groups for one day, making it a monster forum get together.

In short, as long as my bike is still running, count me in.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice first post, John. It's too soon to say, but there is a really good chance I'll be there.

Sequoia NP is epic
3627654186_ba2dfa351d_b.jpg

3627180945_bb701451f5_b.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's my boss on the tree! Hahaha! I'm talking about the little blue part on the tree...

S

scenicware

Hey Thanks Smokenu for mentioning us.

The plan for a ride in 2010 around May/June sounds great. I am up for both a little camping and hotel'ing. I would lean more towards a Tahoe trip as our 2009 trip was up to the Sequoia's and the Sherman Pass area. I also would love to head up the Kern river. I will keep up with checking the thread and if I can be of any assistance please let me know! Are you keeping the ride limited to FZ's?

Jon
Scenicware
Central Coast Motorcycle Rider

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in. May/June's forever away in freelance terms, but I should be able to make it work.

1. Cali Rider - (John)
2. nccoder - (Cliff)
3. Vegasrider - (Kenny)
4. Smokenu - (Dave)
5. PowellB - (Powell)

I would be happy with camping, but am fine with hotels if that opens it up to people without all the necessary camping gear. I haven't had the bike north of WSIR, so anywhere above that would be new and exciting to me, hehe.

S

scenicware

Would there be any interest if I put together a simple questionnaire that could provide some feedback from the different riders that are planning on going as to what their preferences are? I would like to get a feel for things such as preferred routes, typical pace for the ride, camping or hotels, age range, interests for the ride (ie. stops for photography, points of interest stops, or maybe no stops....just ride!) The info could be public or private on the FZ6 Forum depending on everybodys preference. Just a thought.

Jon
CentralCoastRider

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Jon,
Ride is open to every make and model:thumbup:

Yes, but I would prefer trying to limit it to forum members for several reasons. Let me know if I need to go into details.

I'm thinking I can make it but will wait and see for sure the location is for the meeting!

Try and see if any members from the great Pacific Northwest are interested in forming a group ride, and then we can arrange a meeting point and combine the two groups for one day and night.

I am hoping to hit the Pacific ocean this coming year, so maybe I can plan around this event! Therefore, I am subscribed

You would definately receive the long distance award.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
May might be a problem but June should be a go, count me in :eek:

1. Cali Rider - (John)
2. nccoder - (Cliff)
3. Vegasrider - (Kenny)
4. Smokenu - (Dave)
5. PowellB - (Powell)
6. jtarkany - (John)

I'm good with camping or hotel either one, I'm good for whatever route is decided on.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Who's in:
1. Cali Rider - (John)
2. nccoder - (Cliff)
3. Vegasrider - (Kenny)
4. Smokenu - (Dave)
5. PowellB - (Powell)
6. jtarkany - (John)
7. rsw81 (Rob)

So long as my shoulder heals well without complication, count me in. I'm down for the May/early June time frame if possible as I'll be moving to Boston at the end of June.