Dropped my bike for the first time.

knave

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm bummed but want to admit my mistake. I'm totaly ok witch is good. Bike has a cracked faring and the the steering is a touch out of alignment. I checked it out for a while afterwards. It all seemed ok. I sure hope it's not damage and is just something that can be realigned.

Pretty boring really, left curve, Swung wide and pulled off the road. The soft sholder gave out on me and the bike ended up in the ditch. I wasn't going fast about 15MPH. I'm feeling kinda dumb.

Sigh. I was hoping to avoid this...ever...

Bottom line. I wasn't careful on an unfamiliar curve. I should have slowed more than I did.

It sucks but I'll take it as a lesson.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Knave,
Cheer up. Happens to most of us if you ride long enough. Plastic can be fixed. Flesh is a little more delicate. Glad your IMPORTANT parts are ok. :Sport:

Hotei

timberwolf211

Reaction score
Visit site
I would much rather comer home with a scratch bike vs that alternative. At least your bike is not wrecked and your ok. Just think you can always replace the bike but are not replaceable.

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
You only made it out with a cracked fairing and steering alignment issue? That's pretty good considering what happened.

If you want to replace the fairing, look at www.CarolinaCycle.com. I recently went OEM part hunting and they were the cheapest place I found.

Compare to ronayers.com and ronnies.com and some other place someone mentioned on this board.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
As they say at the track, when you get to a turn, TURN!!!!!

Glad you're ok though...we'll help you get that front-end straightened out. You're near Sears Point Raceway, sorta? What towns/cities are considered "northbay"?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It happens to most so no worries. Be thankful it wasn't a bad high-side at speed with broken knave instead of broken bike!

The alignment is easy enough to fix. The plastic is replaceable. You're golden! Or, you could keep the plastic cracked and give it an epoxy patch from the inside... wear it as a reminder and if it happens again it won't be new parts cracking.

What did you see that you could have done to correct the issue? I'm not talking avoid it, but correct an already "going wrong" situation? Let us help you understand how to handle it next time! :D

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Sorry to hear about the drop. At least you're ok, and from what it sounds like, the bike should be easy to repair. It definitely could have been worse... :eek:

X

knave

Reaction score
Visit site
As they say at the track, when you get to a turn, TURN!!!!!

Glad you're ok though...we'll help you get that front-end straightened out. You're near Sears Point Raceway, sorta? What towns/cities are considered "northbay"?

I am pretty close to sears point, about 30 minutes. I drive by it every so often. I'm pretty much on the northern limit of what could be called North bay. (Northern, north bay?) I'm in Santa Rosa.

According to Craigslist Northbay is everything from the GG bridge to Healdsburg...But I've heard some folk from Marin deny anything north of Novato. Meh, To me it's all close enough and it makes it easy to describe.

Now if only I can sort out my stearing woes.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You only made it out with a cracked fairing and steering alignment issue? That's pretty good considering what happened.

If you want to replace the fairing, look at www.CarolinaCycle.com. I recently went OEM part hunting and they were the cheapest place I found.

Compare to ronayers.com and ronnies.com and some other place someone mentioned on this board.

Glad you are okay, your bike will be fine..

I have also ordered from Carolina Cycle and they are the cheapest. Upper cowling and 2 inner pieces for $120 +Shipping ($20)

Keep us posted.. and keep riding ;)

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a new rider and I have worried myself about this moment you just experienced. I am glad you are okay. I must say also I would rather come out as you have than it be the other way around. These guys are right it is easier and less painful to fix the bike verse yourself. I wish you well and good findings with the repairs for the bike.:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm bummed but want to admit my mistake. I'm totaly ok witch is good. Bike has a cracked faring and the the steering is a touch out of alignment. I checked it out for a while afterwards. It all seemed ok. I sure hope it's not damage and is just something that can be realigned.

Pretty boring really, left curve, Swung wide and pulled off the road. The soft sholder gave out on me and the bike ended up in the ditch. I wasn't going fast about 15MPH. I'm feeling kinda dumb.

Sigh. I was hoping to avoid this...ever...

Bottom line. I wasn't careful on an unfamiliar curve. I should have slowed more than I did.

It sucks but I'll take it as a lesson.

Did you fixate in the corner? Force yourself to look at where you want to be, not where you are headed. If you spook yourself it is hard to do, but turn your head, look and go.

Another trick is PUSH the bar the way you want to go. In other words lead with the arm the direction you want to go.

These bikes will totally lean over so if you get hot, turn until you run out of tire. It is better to low side than run off the road an hit something square.

Your bike WILL follow your gaze.

Yeah I know, easier said than done, we have ALL done the same. No worries. :thumbup:

S

sportrider

sorry to hear that. in the aftermath(seeing how hindsight is always 20/20) aside from slowing more before the corner, have you identified anything that you did wrong that contributed to the incident? (eg. not looking through the corner, panicing ect.) I'm glad you didn't get hurt, maybe from sharing your mistake, you'll save someone else from making one. :thumbup:

Nedlob

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheer up Knave. it happens but at least you are able to live and learn from it.
I myself am a new FZ6 rider. This FZ6 is a big difference than what I am use to (ST1300). I feel as though I have to learn how to ride all over again. response, timing, clutch, handling, the feel is totally different. Today was my first time riding it. I thought it would be like riding a push Lawn mower but I was TOTALLY WRONG. At 8K rpm She is Dangerous.:thumbup: Good Luck on bike repair

W

wrightme43

Glad your ok man.

There are some really useful books at barnes and noble on riding skills. Things that will save your ass when a truck full of drunken hill scrogins are halfway in your lane, or a fire truck. Yes a fire truck. Why I dont know, but there it was. You can train your brain to react the way you want it to with visualation and practice.

Hope you get her fixed up soon.
Steve