New Rider: New Bike: 04 FZ6

lllUSA

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, today was a big day.

TLDR: Pics drive.google.com/open?id=0B63W5qtTfCdrR2IyVUJUWThKdzQ

I've been talking about motorcycling for a long time, and 35 days ago I decided to book the 2 day MSF course here in Brooklyn. That course was insanely stressful, but I came away with my endorsement. Went to the DMV the next day, got my 'DM' license, and went down to the local motorcycle garage a few blocks from my place. He had a few bikes, I saw the KLR 650 and wanted that, but he said someone just put a deposit on it. He told me to come back on Saturday, and that he had a bike for me. I trusted this mechanic and felt comfortable buying from him, so I went back on Saturday and he showed me an FZ6 that had the fairing taken off, "Dorky fairing" to be exact. It took a long time for him to get the bike together, maybe 25 days, but I got it registered yesterday and picked it up today.

I was super nervous about driving it. The MSF course was a whirlwind and I definitely didn't leave there feeling confident enough to drive on the roads. With all the barking they did I wasn't even sure I liked motorcycling, but I've gone too far to not go the entire way.

When I get there he gives me the keys, tells me there is barely any gas in it, so whether or not I was ok riding it I needed to get it to the gas station. ****. I heard horror stories about the clutch, and I was way over revving the engine on take off. I was really scared, but I managed to get it to the gas station in heavy NYC traffic. Managed to put 5 bucks in (hands shaking), and then took off. I went for a little bit of a ride instead of going straight home, I didn't realize how much my adrenaline was going until my heart started palpitating haha. I got it parked and went inside and I was like, super spent. The bike was kind of an object of fear, and I wasn't sure if I made a huge mistake. This was a lot of bike, you feel the power, was it too much?

But then, 30 minutes later I was like, "Man, I want to ride again". So I went out, and it was a WAY different experience, I'm not sure if it was because it was on my terms or what. But I was way more confident and getting better at starting from a stop. Rinse and repeat this 4 more times, (took a cruise at night), and now I'm pretty sure I'm hooked. The bike is very fast, but I absolutely feel it's manageable, it's a super city bike.

I've attached a few pics of it, pretty long winded post, but a big deal for me

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!
Yeah, once you fall in love...... You've been bit. Lol! The FZ6 motor has some serious ability at higher rpm. Be safe and gear up!

Sent from Moto's Motorola

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks very nice with that headlight. For first bike it can be scary. A smaller one (250cc) would be better. But if you ride slow and safe, it wouldn't be much problem.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrates!

Just keep the RPM's on the low side and it's very tame..

BTW, in the video, I didn't see the headlight come on (may have just been me).

It's SUPPOSED to come on once the bike starts, (by law and for safety' sake). If it's not coming
on that should be repaired ASAP.

If you need the owners manual, PM me with an e-mail adddress and I'll send it as a PDF file..

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks very nice with that headlight. For first bike it can be scary. A smaller one (250cc) would be better. But if you ride slow and safe, it wouldn't be much problem.

I completely agree with the above - lots of articles out there about "should I start with a 600cc for my first bike", and by and large the answer is, not recommended. Having said that - it absolutely can be done, but build your confidence and skills slowly. E.g. the bike is _very_ capable, but you want to slowly dip individual toes into that 'water', and only as you truly get more skilled, which comes with time and practice. So congrats! I was out of motorcycles for 25+ years, and the FZ6 (and I like the fairing!) was my first bike back (though my rusty skills came back pretty quickly). You still have to treat it with respect, and keep in mind that is has power to get you _out_ of trouble, but also plenty to get you _in_ to trouble.

Welcome

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to riding! Get lots of practice on neighborhood streets when they aren't busy and you'll build confidence. The FZ6 has more than enough power to bite if you flub it, so respect the bike and take it slow.

Pick up a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It's a great book to help a beginner learn quickly.