Downshifting gears?

H

HavBlue

In my personal experience, it was "being in the powerband" and using acceleration that got me into my 2 bike accidents in the first place. Better brakes/tires and utilizing more than 2% of my (then) teenaged brain would have prevented both accidents.
Now that I'm in my (supposedly :D ) 'mature' years, I have diffused more potential "accidents" while riding my FZ6 by braking than I ever have by accelerating.
That and my noisy Scorpions, which do seem to stop me nodding off now that I'm in my dotage years.:p

To me, the most important thing we have with us on any ride isn't the mods to the suspension, brakes, exhaust, run profile, or even the gear we wear, it's this thing that hopefully sits on top of our heads that is commonly called a brain and if it is properly attached to the rest of our body in a functioning manner we should for all practical purposes remain relatively safe. It's those times when the functioning manner between that brain and our bodies malfunctions that we have a tendency to get into trouble. I have no problem going from the gear I was traveling in all the way down to first at the suggested 15mph while slightly blurping the throttle. It may not make sense to some but it has never given me any trouble nor have I managed to get myself into trouble doing it. Just remember, if you ride aggressively, you'll likely crash aggressively too. Some folks just want to putz around and tour in which case they have their own little way of doing things and I do respect them for that because it is something I'm still trying to learn how to do after 44 years..

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no problem going from the gear I was traveling in all the way down to first at the suggested 15mph while slightly blurping the throttle.

The manual suggests you shift into 1st only at ZERO, not 15mph. Does it not?

"Blurping" is a new one for me

This does not make sense to me because no one has ever pointed out any worthwhile benefits to riding like this. This isn't one of those "because the yamaha engineers know best" type of situations and there are many good reasons for using some of the other techniques already mentioned in this thread.

If there are actual benefits to this, other than "it's worked for me", I would really like to hear them. I'm all ears...

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I always "blip" (or "blurp" :D ) the throttle when downshifting, matching the engine rpm to the road speed to avoid any 'lock up' of the rear wheel during the downshifting process. I am slightly exaggerating the throttle "blip/blurp" these days since installing the Scorpions just for the fun of it and to hear that glorious sound :Flash: ).
I will downshift to 1st gear while on the move just prior to stopping, but it's at a walking pace and my clutch is disengaged at the time...no blipping or blurping, I just shift from 2nd to 1st while 'coasting' at said walking pace. I have learned that it's best to stay in 2nd gear if not stopping during slow turns, etc. on my FZ6 as the throttle doesn't snatch as much and there's really no need to drop to 1st gear anyway...the engine responds just fine in 2nd gear.
I think we all basically ride the same with our own little variations on the same theme. :Sport:

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site

3544d1209977435-where-should-i-revving-shift-points.jpg

Claud just came in and stomped on my flowers.

He said the reason why YAMAHA is making up this chart is so they can cover their tails for any warranty.

I guess the more revs you have, the more power you can utilize.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Claud has certainly changed alot these days. (Thanks to me).

He used to be such a meanie! Not anymore. He's the one who actually owns an FZ6 2006. He used to come onto this FZ6-FORUM site!

You remember Raid The Revenge right? That's what his name was before he quit.

There were a few problems. He got into a serious fight with someone...and lost. I saw the whole thing! So I decided to help him out. He's actually not a bad person. Angry people aren't bad.

PS- I've now changed my mind on the shifting points as well. Please take away my bad rep Defy Inertia!

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

blurp = blip? fair enough...you learn something new every day

Let me get this straight, all the track time you have and whatever street time and you have never blurped the throttle to downshift? That's amazing if true.

As far as zero mph to first, that wouldn't make much sense as sooner or later you will need it while moving. Years ago they had crash box transmissions and not being at zero could be hazardous to a transmissions health but not these days.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hav, never heard anyone say "blurp"....not sure where that terminology would have come from. BLIP is what I do and have always heard everyone say and write about. It's a basic skill IMHO.

Anyway...I guess no one has anything useful to say about the manual suggested downshifting points so I'll just continue riding the way I ride now.

PS- I've now changed my mind on the shifting points as well. Please take away my bad rep Defy Inertia! [/COLOR]

"you must spread some reputation around before giving it to Elm again" :eek:

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Hav, never heard anyone say "blurp"....not sure where that terminology would have come from. BLIP is what I do and have always heard everyone say and write about. It's a basic skill IMHO.

I agree, it is a basic skill and not just with bikes, cages too. To be honest I had never heard anyone in the sportbike realm use the term blip or blurp. Rather, it was something I first heard in the cruiser side of things and mainly with Harley folks.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Claud has certainly changed alot these days. (Thanks to me).

He used to be such a meanie! Not anymore. He's the one who actually owns an FZ6 2006. He used to come onto this FZ6-FORUM site!

You remember Raid The Revenge right? That's what his name was before he quit.

There were a few problems. He got into a serious fight with someone...and lost. I saw the whole thing! So I decided to help him out. He's actually not a bad person. Angry people aren't bad.

So you're the Yin to his Yang :justkidding:

I don't think anybody really understood why he left, well I certainly didn't, he was welcome but he choose to leave :confused:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/3049-i-m-leaving.html

anyway give him my regards :thumbup: .