Down, possibly salvaged? need opinions!

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm alright just some bruises and a sore neck but my icon back and chest protector, hjc is-17 helmet definitely helped.

I'm at a light behind a Jeep and a few other cars. We both turn into Walmart after a green light(left turn). the walmart parking lot is set up so right when you turn in there are three options straight left or right. The driver of the Jeep went right, no turn signal, then decided to go left. I had already begun my left turn and was probably in, or near his blind spot. right behind him to the left slightly passing him because he went right... I see him turn back towards me. I just gun it and lean left but my right frame slider hits his(big black steel bumper like police cars and trucks have) that he has attached to his Jeep. I high side going about 15-20 flip and land on my back, left flank. Don't think i hit my head or i did and my helmet is great =D. Jumped right up pick up the bike and turn it on. No check engine light push it in neutral out of the way.

Cops come talk to us, guy admits he did go right to turn left. The other driver, a large 5ft 10 man in his 50s, got the ticket. I didn't talk to him really because the LEO who got there first told me to stay on or near my bike. Not to mention i was pretty mad, concerned with my bike. Since he got the ticket I'm sure his insurance will take care of it but I'm still waiting on the police dept to upload there records online so I can get the process started.(i don't even know his insurer) He called the police right away so it leads me to believe he has insurance.

Then there is my baby =\

It appears the bolt from my frame slider damaged the frame. Runs great still, steering is fine. The turn signal actually came out of its plug in the assembly and was rattling around until i plugged it back in put the light back together and it works... what a durable turn signal.

Took her to a local shop and they said it would probably be totaled and advised me to see about buying it back from the insurance company. It would have a salvaged title but i don't care as long as I can insure and drive it on the road.(not full coverage) This leads me to the main question Whats she worth? Kbb is 3500 So I hope they give me that for her and I'm thinking of buying it back as long as its under 1500 what do you guys think?
20150703_154554.jpg20150705_125436.jpg20150703_154501.jpg20150703_154359.jpg20150706_084051.jpg

Pictures tell 1000 words scuffs and scrapes around but in perfecting working condition. 11800 miles

Last edited by a moderator:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Down, possibly savaged? need opinions!

Sorry to hear about your collision. The way you describe the entrance into your local Walmart, I think I have the same type of entrance up here. Three options as soon as you enter their lot, go straight, turn right or left. In your case, I'm wondering if using the horn immediately would have helped? Assuming you have a louder aftermarket horn. What kind of frame sliders did you have? It appears they did not do it's job, in fact it appears that it was worse having them on than off. Glad to hear you were not hurt after taking that spill.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site

Sadly i have the stock horn and honestly didn't even think about it, I've got stock exhaust which doesn't help either. Yeah... the frame sliders were from ebay... American made here in Colorado. The thing they did protect my knee because I'm sure that's what would have hit had they not been on. So I'm glad they were there but your right they may have done more damage than if i had a better brand of frame slider. I got the extended ones which could have resulted in the clip as well.. soo many things to consider.

But what do you think about the bike?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Sorry to hear about the crash, glad your ok..

With the cracked "frame to engine mount" on the right side, its totaled...Guaranteed.

It'd need a new frame, fairing, fairing stay, etc. With labor, way more than its worth. Unless you found the parts used, and you did the labor, definitely NOT worth it. If the engine mounting hole (where the frame broke, the engine is worth the most. Not nearly enough of what the insurance is going to pay..

Get your $ and go shopping...

BTW, that TOG, catching the vehicle just right is why I don't like them. I'd rather get scratched than a busted frame.

Most of the owners/riders use them, your pic is EXACTLY why I don't...

Last edited:

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site

Sorry to hear about the crash, glad your ok..

With the cracked "frame to engine mount" on the right side, its totaled...Guaranteed.

It'd need a new frame, fairing, fairing stay, etc. With labor, way more than its worth. Unless you found the parts used, and you did the labor, definitely NOT worth it. If the engine mounting hole (where the frame broke, the engine is worth the most. Not nearly enough of what the insurance is going to pay..

Get your $ and go shopping...

BTW, that TOG, catching the vehicle just right is why I don't like them. I'd rather get scratched than a busted frame.

Most of the owners/riders use them, your pic is EXACTLY why I don't...

I would have to agree. Cracked frame mean a new one. I'd take the money and go shopping, maybe find a project and build it up.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site

Damn so you guys don't think its worth buying back? i want to bend the bolt back and see if the threads are screwed inside or not but I also don't want to touch it until insurance adjuster sees it. although i did plug the turn signal bulb back in and stuffed it back together.

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Glad to hear you are OK. First priority.
Maybe I'm a little slow but what is a TOG?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Glad you're okay! :) As basically said previously. The frame to engine mounts are part of the integral frame/engine design and therefore need to be in the best shape. The insurance company will not accept liability for the ear to be welded or repaired. The bike needs a new frame and Just that alone will probably total the bike. If you were to do a buy back you would need to invest in the labor to change everything thing over and that doesn't include the rest of the repairs you'll want to make.

foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site

I was in a similar situation to you two months ago. Different kind of accident, but my frame also cracked on the right side because of the slider. The lady's insurance company wrote it off and valued it at 2700 (mine is a 2004) and valued the bike at $500 in it's post-accident condition.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Glad to hear you are OK. First priority.
Maybe I'm a little slow but what is a TOG?

Yep, Tip Over Guard. They do work for most slow speed tip overs, and may save your tank, mirror, etc. If that frame didn't crack, the torn up fairing AND IF the fairing stay was bent, plus the fairing, the insurance would still total it..

The frame alone (part #1) for your bike is $1,100; 2007 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6W) Frame | Babbitts Online

I bought my bike with similar damage(not the broke frame) for $2,000 and spent about $1,500 in new parts (tank, fairing, main stay, side pod, etc...I did all the labor

Below are pic's of my bike when I bought it and repaired;

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Sometimes I think you are just looking for an excuse to show me those gorgeous pipes ☺.

I see your point about TOGs. Mine saved me a ton of money when I made a turn coming out of my driveway on brand new tires, having just taken the bike off the stands after mounting the wheels. So the few bucks spared me lots of plastics. But I would certainly feel differently if the few bucks ended up amplifying the damage.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Sometimes I think you are just looking for an excuse to show me those gorgeous pipes ☺.

I see your point about TOGs. Mine saved me a ton of money when I made a turn coming out of my driveway on brand new tires, having just taken the bike off the stands after mounting the wheels. So the few bucks spared me lots of plastics. But I would certainly feel differently if the few bucks ended up amplifying the damage.

Yep, that's my favorite pic of the bike, still accurate, just the new GPS and air assist forks (which you can't see anyway).. I've owned MANY bikes in 4 decades and this is by far, my favorite.

Almost wrecked it yesterday with a lady pulling out in front of me. I was way out in the middle of nowhere checking to see how well I could hear the Garmin 590 GPS stereo at 70MPH.

A van pulled half way out (from a side street) in front of me. I already "had my out" (as you could see she was doing a fast rollling stop).

Ended up swerving around her into the on-coming lane (no traffic, that's why I was out there). She was still sitting in the middle of the road looking at me as I turned back around to get back on the correct side of the roadway. I behaved, gave a WTF, hands/arms up (no finger) and went on my way..

Can't wreck my baby.. ;)

BTW, if you look at the pic in post #12, with the fairing off, you can see the header, NASTY BROWN. The PO never even washed the bike in 4,500 miles(when I got it)..

Last edited:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site

I was in a similar situation to you two months ago. Different kind of accident, but my frame also cracked on the right side because of the slider. The lady's insurance company wrote it off and valued it at 2700 (mine is a 2004) and valued the bike at $500 in it's post-accident condition.

did you end up buying it back? Is it legal to drive a salvaged bike or does it need to be rebuilt first? I put the original bolts back in and they seem fine thread and pressure wise. I just did a 70 mile little trip on it and she was perfect.

Last edited:

foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site

did you end up buying it back? Is it legal to drive a salvaged bike or does it need to be rebuilt first? I put the original bolts back in and they seem fine thread and pressure wise. I just did a 70 mile little trip on it and she was perfect.

I plan on it because it's still fine mechanically. I didn't read what state or country you're in but in California it looks like you just have to apply for a salvage certificate, then get a brake and light certification plus a vin check at the dmv or chp, and then you can apply for a salvage title.

I haven't done that yet because I'm disputing with the lady's insurance. They don't want to accept full liability because the lady is lying about what actually happened so I'm getting witness declaration, and might end up taking this to small claims court.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site

I plan on it because it's still fine mechanically. I didn't read what state or country you're in but in California it looks like you just have to apply for a salvage certificate, then get a brake and light certification plus a vin check at the dmv or chp, and then you can apply for a salvage title.

I haven't done that yet because I'm disputing with the lady's insurance. They don't want to accept full liability because the lady is lying about what actually happened so I'm getting witness declaration, and might end up taking this to small claims court.

Damn, good luck then bro

did the cop not give her a ticket?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Although the frame is 'damaged' per 'the book', it's so local right on the edge of the bolts recess I wouldn't hesitate to weld up the edge, retouch the paint and ride if you end up buying it back. Had it moved or displaced the frames end from the center of the hole, then I'd be concerned about latent failure or cracking.

Glad you're OK! Source some parts while the insurance is getting its act together and see if its reasonable to repair. Do bare in mind that resale value down the road will be minimal once the title is branded. So if buy back is $1500 and you buy $500 worth of parts, its not going to pay for itself during a sale. But if the price is right, it may work for you.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

Although the frame is 'damaged' per 'the book', it's so local right on the edge of the bolts recess I wouldn't hesitate to weld up the edge, retouch the paint and ride if you end up buying it back. Had it moved or displaced the frames end from the center of the hole, then I'd be concerned about latent failure or cracking.

Glad you're OK! Source some parts while the insurance is getting its act together and see if its reasonable to repair. Do bare in mind that resale value down the road will be minimal once the title is branded. So if buy back is $1500 and you buy $500 worth of parts, its not going to pay for itself during a sale. But if the price is right, it may work for you.

Good one FI,
1. Regarding plastics, may be its time to go naked..! :rockon: as I see cracks on the fairing
2. For the engine parts, plasti-dip or our forums have couple of threads for painting the crank case and make it look like OEM again. The same can be used here.

here is another thread about salvage/totalling motorcycles.
Do frame scrapes and scratches really get a bike totaled? | South Bay Riders

I wonder how the premiums will go high after totalling our bike and selling it back to us.

foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site

Damn, good luck then bro

did the cop not give her a ticket?

Cops didn't bother coming because there weren't any "injuries". I scraped my knee, but I didn't need medical attention so there's that. Now unfortunately she's claiming that our vehicles didn't make contact. Her passenger opened the door and nudged my handlebar causing me to lose control. Unfortunately, I think her insurance is counting either her or the passenger as a witness which is BS because they both have an interest in the claim.