Votes: 3 1.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 91 37.3%

• Total voters

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
That's helpful to know. Would you recomend any in between? I don't want to jab the girlfriend with it, but I definately want to avoid any type of paralysis. Anyone have any comments on the hardness/softness of the A* air back protector?

Let me clarify that these honey-comb protectors are still leaps and bounds better than the stock foam crap that comes in most jackets. The best back protectors are the ones that look like armadillo armor with interlocking plates that keep you from hyperextending your back. However, these are crazy uncomfortable.

This is A*'s race protector. Notice the hard plastic backing with interlocking pieces to prevent extension of the back.
Bionic Race Back Protector | Alpinestars

This is A*'s street protector. Nice honeycomb structure for comfort, breathability, and impact dispursion. But not as good at preventing hyperextension of the back.
Bionic Air Back Protector | Alpinestars

Which direction of the spine protectors you go with is up to you. Either way, it's still better than the stock insert of your jacket. If I were purchasing, I'd likely go with the street honeycomb for street riding and get the armadillo looking one for track days or really spirited riding days on the street where you are likely taking more risks than the daily commute to work.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Rob

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
anytime planning on going above 50kph or further than 2-3 miles I wear my Dainese spine protector - nice and snug :)

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me clarify that these honey-comb protectors are still leaps and bounds better than the stock foam crap that comes in most jackets. The best back protectors are the ones that look like armadillo armor with interlocking plates that keep you from hyperextending your back. However, these are crazy uncomfortable.

This is A*'s race protector. Notice the hard plastic backing with interlocking pieces to prevent extension of the back.
Bionic Race Back Protector | Alpinestars

This is A*'s street protector. Nice honeycomb structure for comfort, breathability, and impact dispursion. But not as good at preventing hyperextension of the back.
Bionic Air Back Protector | Alpinestars

Which direction of the spine protectors you go with is up to you. Either way, it's still better than the stock insert of your jacket. If I were purchasing, I'd likely go with the street honeycomb for street riding and get the armadillo looking one for track days or really spirited riding days on the street where you are likely taking more risks than the daily commute to work.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Rob

Think I will be going with the A* air back protector considering it has the honeycomb comfort similar to forcefield, but has some harder features to better help avoid back extension. I will most likely get a harder one in the future since I already broke my back once during football, but right now I'm already way over budget so Ill just get one. Thanks Doc!

AlexL

Shiny Side Up
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually ride with the foam protector that comes built into the jacket but recently I've been removing it because it makes the jacket puffy in the back and t's annoying:spank:

I guess it comes down to how much is your *Insert body part/function here* worth? I always wear my helmet and riding pants but I'm thinking I should spring for real upper body protection, and real boots too. Gosh this safety thing is expensive.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually ride with the foam protector that comes built into the jacket but recently I've been removing it because it makes the jacket puffy in the back and t's annoying:spank:

I guess it comes down to how much is your *Insert body part/function here* worth? I always wear my helmet and riding pants but I'm thinking I should spring for real upper body protection, and real boots too. Gosh this safety thing is expensive.

I just looked at IRONPONY.COM. Some pretty good deals on boots and back protectors.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site

My thoughts exactly. I just got new boots and gloves in...and for as much as I spent, I thought the gloves would have more hard plastic/padding. They'll be returned for sure. This may be the wrong place, but does anyone have suggestions on protective gloves? I've got a regular semi-padded pair for commuting, but I'd like to have more protection for when I get a little rev happy.

As for back protection, currently I just have the foam nonsense that came in my Joe Rocket jacket. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that I should get a back protector next paycheck.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for i did but dont any more. I got the full Dainese Yamaha GYTR race suit which dont even have foam in the back so i decided to get a full Dainese top of the range spine protector. Wore it about 4 times in the 2 years of owning it and i cant bring myself to wear it so i sold it. Way to uncomfortable. I need to get a smaller one which will fit my shape but also not hinder my riding. I can ride safer and move / dodge objects faster when not being restircted by a awkward back proctector

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. I just got new boots and gloves in...and for as much as I spent, I thought the gloves would have more hard plastic/padding. They'll be returned for sure. This may be the wrong place, but does anyone have suggestions on protective gloves? I've got a regular semi-padded pair for commuting, but I'd like to have more protection for when I get a little rev happy.

As for back protection, currently I just have the foam nonsense that came in my Joe Rocket jacket. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that I should get a back protector next paycheck.

I'd go and check out a local shop. I found a pretty nice pair of fox's (can't recall the exact model) but they've held up for 3, almost 4 years now. They've got the carbon fiber knuckles, a few layers of material, and really freakin cool squeegee fingertips on the back side of your finger that i 100% use for my windshield wipers on my visor every time it rains.

And they look awesome. I think i paid 35 or 40$ if I recall correctly.

motogp6r

Reaction score
Visit site
i wear a spine protector with my sport jacket. but when the weather is warmer i dont wear my jacket or gear. but i do suggest atgmtt.:thumbup:

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd go and check out a local shop. I found a pretty nice pair of fox's (can't recall the exact model) but they've held up for 3, almost 4 years now. They've got the carbon fiber knuckles, a few layers of material, and really freakin cool squeegee fingertips on the back side of your finger that i 100% use for my windshield wipers on my visor every time it rains.

And they look awesome. I think i paid 35 or 40$ if I recall correctly.

Interesting...pics? I may grab a pair

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting...pics? I may grab a pair

2008_Fox_Racing_Bomber_Glove.jpg

I misplaced my camera charger and have been looking for it for over 2 freaking weeks - sorry for the long delay. I found a pic on google for ya of some very similar gloves. These are almost dead on the same as mine, just the squeegee's on mine are black - other than that they're the same glove it appears. I love em, comfortable, slick, got the carbon fiber knuckles.

They're not too warm if it's cold out - so I'd say they're a spring/summer glove. But the squeegee's are freaking sweet.

D

Dave.TX

I've thought about upgrading my jackets which came with the foam back protector but haven't. There's levels of protection where you start feeling like a cyborg which takes the joy out of riding, then there's the idiots that ride in shorts and t-shirts with zero protection. Find your happy place. Last year we had 90-something days with over 100 degree days. The more you wear the hotter you get. I always wear at least a jacket and full face helmet.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
2008_Fox_Racing_Bomber_Glove.jpg

I misplaced my camera charger and have been looking for it for over 2 freaking weeks - sorry for the long delay. I found a pic on google for ya of some very similar gloves. These are almost dead on the same as mine, just the squeegee's on mine are black - other than that they're the same glove it appears. I love em, comfortable, slick, got the carbon fiber knuckles.

They're not too warm if it's cold out - so I'd say they're a spring/summer glove. But the squeegee's are freaking sweet.

So there is a squeegee on every fingertip? Sorry if I'm a bit confused, but thanks for the pic. For those who actually are wanting to buy this glove...I backtracked the URL. It is the Fox Racing Bomber Glove, $45 at motorcycle superstore

NEVERMIND! I'm dumb. Looked at the multi-view on the website here: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/19/220/1023/ITEM/Fox-Racing-Bomber-Gloves.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch and saw that the 'squeegee' is on the index finger

Last edited:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
actually the squeegee's are on every fingertip, the middle finger is the best one though. I find if you spread your fingers you can wipe any water off the visor with 1 slick pass.

Definitely worth the money IMO. I've never crash tested them, but I wear them every ride. They lasted me 3 and a half years now and I use the squeegee's any time it rains - and I'm an every day commuter so its pretty often.

They've definitely got my vote.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just looked at IRONPONY.COM. Some pretty good deals on boots and back protectors.

I bought this one last week. Tried it out a couple of days after it showed up at my door...it gave me the warm and fuzzy feeling...it was a great ride:thumbup:

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought an Alpinestars Bionic back protector, rated CE level 2. It is great and I find it comfortable as it flexes when I lean forward and I do not find that it restricts my movement. I even noted that I could feel air flow through it when i opened up all my vents on my jacket this weekend (Tourmaster Epic). I am 5'9" 195lbs and got the large. I removed the this pad on the jacket and always ride with the protector now.
Here is a photo:
bionic20back20protector20blk.jpg

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought an Alpinestars Bionic back protector, rated CE level 2. It is great and I find it comfortable as it flexes when I lean forward and I do not find that it restricts my movement. I even noted that I could feel air flow through it when i opened up all my vents on my jacket this weekend (Tourmaster Epic). I am 5'9" 195lbs and got the large. I removed the this pad on the jacket and always ride with the protector now.
Here is a photo:
bionic20back20protector20blk.jpg

i like that one you got!

does anyone have any experience with the icon stryker back protector?? i can get it at a great price but idk if i want that A* one i like how it is CE level 2