• I have before, but not anymore

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 91 37.3%

• Total voters

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Both my jackets have had soft foam back protectors. I was looking at an A* spine protector as part of my next jacket upgrade. I really want to get a leather jacket, something more fashionable than my douche bagey Joe Rocket (more like G.I. Joe) jacket.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Just upgraded to an Alpinestars GP Plus perforated jacket. Got it "used" on eBay but it looks brand new. Previous owner upgraded to the bionic air back protector and bionic air chest protectors. Feels really protective and very comfortable too.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't wear one and never have. I'm an idiot though and ditched my helmet every time I went into combat too. I will admit that I'm a paranoid bastage that has never been in a car wreck, motorcycle wreck, or been shot due to over-cautiousness and a touch of hyper-vigilance.

Question: Does anyone who has actually used their arse as a sled while wearing the armor have anything good to say about it?

I wear a full helmet, boots over the ankle, a leather jacket, gloves, and long pants every time I ride but the armor, superboots, and carbon fiber doo-hickies seems excessive.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't wear one and never have. I'm an idiot though and ditched my helmet every time I went into combat too. I will admit that I'm a paranoid bastage that has never been in a car wreck, motorcycle wreck, or been shot due to over-cautiousness and a touch of hyper-vigilance.

Question: Does anyone who has actually used their arse as a sled while wearing the armor have anything good to say about it?

I wear a full helmet, boots over the ankle, a leather jacket, gloves, and long pants every time I ride but the armor, superboots, and carbon fiber doo-hickies seems excessive.

It's up to you on how much protection you use and but you'll probably change your mind once you've had a accident.
Personally I'd say it all helps to limit worst case scenarios but it still hurts coming off a bike.

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the foam pads in both my jackets with upgraded d3o back protectors - not true spine protectors, but for $25 they're supposed to be pretty good and I don't really notice the difference because they do flex quite well. The only time I know they're there is when I'm actually donning my jacket, once it's on they disappear. In my Icon Arc Mesh jacket I upgraded all the padding with Icon's D3o padding - couldn't be happier.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not worn the spine protector since I started riding, but in the last year it's been on my mind, so there is a package on its way to my office, and this package contains A* Track Protection Vest.

I went with the vest because:
a) I have two jackets and I dont want to buy separate spine protectors (and I'm certainly NOT moving one protector from my leather jacket to my Firstgear Kilimanjaro and back);
b) If I'm wearing something underneath my jacket, I may as well get something that has frontal protection as well;
c) I evidently like to look like RoboCop http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MzWng-32jxw/UUSTKGXDvMI/AAAAAAAB1wI/xrJqCJswNQ8/s1600/Robocop1.jpg :BLAA:

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at a Knox vest today, seems pretty hardcore. Had a flexible section inside which you can set its height for your spine, then a hard plate on the outside.

I have a Spidi protector I took from another jacket in my textile jacket, and a 1' thick Hein Gericke in my leathers.
The most 'casual' I ride is if I take the knee armour out of my jeans (Triumph KEP jeans), always have the jacket no matter what.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading this post, I ordered a Forcefield pro sub 4 back protector and matching chest pad. The spine protector definitely makes me feel much more secure. In conjunction with the chest pad, I feel as safe as possible and neither is uncomfortable to wear.

I really see no reason to not wear a spine protector.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
on the recent group ride, I got to wear (but not test - i hope that day never comes) my Alpinestars Track Protection vest. I was worried that it would be a little bulky, given the amount of padding it has. I put it on and... it disappeared. I remember I unzipped it once at the meeting spot, but other than that it was on all the time and I forgot about it. As the temps go up, I may revise my verdict, but so far - it's very very comfortable. Love it!!!!:thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought an A* BioArmor back protector a month or two ago with the hopes of sliding it into my jackets (textile Castle and leather AGV) interchangeably - though it was too big for the pouches. Instead I got some industrial strength Velcro (hook and loop) and put a few strips on the inside of each jacket and two strips on the protector. It sits between the jacket and me, but it is nice and secure and I hardly know that it's there.

It looks plastic at first, but upon inspection you realize that it's actually a nice hard foam that's both flexible and impact resistant. It's not as solid as some of the others out there, but should do a good job - much better than the 3mm of foam that had been in the jackets.

By attaching it with velcro, I can easily switch it out between my two jackets, so if it's hot and I want to go textile, I still have protection, or I can make sure my girlfriend has the protection if she tags along on a ride.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only ridden with the crappy/pointless foam protectors that have come with my jackets.
After reading alot of comments from guys who have used them and have gone down I bit the bullit just now and ordered one from ebay.
Came across this one NEW Motorcycle Bicycle Skateboarding Back Protector Body Spine Armor Sportbike | eBay

It shows "Dainese" on the straps and you can see abit of the Dainese logo under the sticker the seller has photoshopped. We'll see how good of a knock off it is or even if it's anything like the photo shown.....for $35 shipped to Canada I won't be in a position to complain.
Everything is seemingly made in China these days so who knows.....maybe it's an original....doubt that I will be able to tell though.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did have a touring jacket with just the crappy foam inserts in it but now i read somewhere back along here that it`s just to keep shape of jacket :eek:

I have since though replaced it with thick runner type armour aswell as the arms and shoulders :thumbup:
Unsure what it is but wouldnt do without it now :thumbup:
The foam inserts are only there to retain the jackets shape when on the hanger in the shop. They are not designed to offer any protection.

Nelly

Chaotic29

Reaction score
Visit site
I personally feel more protected and safe with pressure around my torso... if that makes sense.

I am used to wearing a chest protector as tight as i can get it, comfortably, while riding dirtbikes since i was 7. And i normally ride dirtbikes with my ogio camelbak backpack.

i hate only wearing my A* jacket riding anywhere(it puffs up), i have to have a backpack on or i wear my ogio camelbak without the bladder insert in. Plus it doubles as storage when im riding. It has straps that go around my waist and chest and it makes me feel more protected, plus its not bulky and it follows my back/spine.

I wish there were small low profile slim backpacks that were hard for sliding/ protection if the person was to go down. then it could double as protection and storage... something like this.. but with hard foam or impact resistant armor on it.
Google Image Result for http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PqxlKZPNL._SX300_.jpg

i still need to go get a more protective spine insert than what came with my jacket with the lame foam.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only ridden with the crappy/pointless foam protectors that have come with my jackets.
After reading alot of comments from guys who have used them and have gone down I bit the bullit just now and ordered one from ebay.
Came across this one NEW Motorcycle Bicycle Skateboarding Back Protector Body Spine Armor Sportbike | eBay

It shows "Dainese" on the straps and you can see abit of the Dainese logo under the sticker the seller has photoshopped. We'll see how good of a knock off it is or even if it's anything like the photo shown.....for $35 shipped to Canada I won't be in a position to complain.
Everything is seemingly made in China these days so who knows.....maybe it's an original....doubt that I will be able to tell though.
Personally I think protection shouldn't really be scrimped on with a cheap knockoff.
Yes most of it is expensive and probably could be cheaper but it's not the sort of product I'd like to take my chances with.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I think protection shouldn't really be scrimped on with a cheap knockoff.
Yes most of it is expensive and probably could be cheaper but it's not the sort of product I'd like to take my chances with.

I understand what you are saying but at $100 plus I won't buy a spine protector but at $35 I will.....and have something on my back. Something is better than nothing.
I also question whether there really will be that much difference in the quality/makeup of the protective plastic. I know with a Dainese you'd get one "certified" ......but we are just talking plastic here.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Spine protector came today......Dainese logo....Dainese tags....pretty good knock off if it is.