• I have before, but not anymore

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 91 37.3%

• Total voters

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
I am just wondering how many people actually wear spine protectors. I am going to buy one just because of a reality check that if I ever get in a serious accident, I want to be able to recover and still play with my kids as they grow up instead of taking the chance of being a vegetable. Please tell me what you think about them, and if you do wear one, which one do you wear and what do you think because I want to get this decision right and this forum hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered an Alpinestars Bionic back protector (CE level 2). My new jacket came with a flimsy foam pad, so I figured I'd get some real protection.
Once I get my taxes done, I'll be getting a Leatt STX neck protector. I'm all for getting as much protection as possible. There are too many minivans with texting drivers out there.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I just upgraded the one in my dainese jacket. Built in the jacket is the easiest to wear, therefore you will actually wear it lol. From what i have seen, people who get the additional protectors only wear it for a few weeks. Then they only wear it when they go on the twisties, then they just dont wear it.

skyworm

Reaction score
Visit site
Have Wave G1 from Dainese in my jacket always.
Dainese_Wave_G1_detail.jpg

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that the ones that are upgrades for the jacket are great because you'll actually wear it, but I still think the stand alone units are the best protection you can get. I'm not saying I wear one 100% of the time, but medically speaking, this is the best way to save your spine.

The rest of your body is up to the rest of your gear. So to not "be a vegetable" as the OP said, you need a good helmet to protect your brain.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My RST jacket has CE approved back, elbow and shoulder protectors and my Alpinestar mesh jacket came with some nice foam padding. same shape and size as a dainese armour so I put one in. It was better than the A-star armour available at the time, now I could get A-star specific protector but Im happy with what I have
I'd like to think that I would wear stand alone protection if thats all I had but since its in the jacket I need not think about it its just there!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. In my jacket I use SasTec active armor spine pads.

On the track a full Knox Ageis BP.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes - I use a dedicated back and also chest protector for both street and dirt. If I am just riding 6 miles to work then I throw on a textile jacket that has a good BP built in (no chest).

Food for thought (not to be anal or self rightous), but I consider ATGATT to include a real BP (not thin piece of foam)...and even better with a chest too. I'm not always atgatt though...I wear jeans when I ride to work or to go grab a beer with a friend.

Last edited:

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't, and I don't think I will ever "put on" a seperate protector for daily use... but i will look into putting something harder in my jacket then the (useless) foam that is in the back right now.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
use a dainese level 2 one which fits in my jacket (actually i have 1 for each jacket)

also bought a chest protector recently which I will be using too (lots of people seem to suffer rib and chest injuries). my textiles have a pocket for this, and it stays in place stuffed inside my leathers

also looking at upgrading my back protector to a full length one for the track, though speaking to the guys at dainese you need to pick ones which fit properly, if your suit has a hump then you want a protector that sits below that

i'd never go out on my bike without all the gear on

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am just wondering how many people actually wear spine protectors. I am going to buy one just because of a reality check that if I ever get in a serious accident, I want to be able to recover and still play with my kids as they grow up instead of taking the chance of being a vegetable. Please tell me what you think about them, and if you do wear one, which one do you wear and what do you think because I want to get this decision right and this forum hasn't steered me wrong yet.
I have one of dem padded yokes ye stick behind yer back.
I also have a well regulated right wrist, the safest protector out there.
Nelly

Last edited:

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Standard jacket foam.
My thought is that you have to balance protection with ease of movement and comfort.
If I can't twist to see that car in my blind spot, then the protector was no good as it will most likely aid in getting into a crash. Likewise, is the gear is not comfortable, then I would not wear it. It is about trade-offs, but then riding is about trade-offs.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i don't notice my back protector at all, the front one i feel but doesn't interfere with anything

worth pointing out that you can often get one thrown in for free or heavily discounted if you're buying a jacket, just ask.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any experience with Forcefield? I am looking at the pro sub-4 now. I was something good but softer to not jab the girlfriend when she is on the back.

Forcefield Back Protector PRO SUB 4

These are supposed to be fantastic at dispersing the focus of an impact. However, the inherent flexibility of the item makes it not great at preventing undue extension of the spine in an accident, which is the primary cause of spinal cord injury in automotive accidents.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These are supposed to be fantastic at dispersing the focus of an impact. However, the inherent flexibility of the item makes it not great at preventing undue extension of the spine in an accident, which is the primary cause of spinal cord injury in automotive accidents.

Thank you Doctor. Time to shop for a better SP.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site

That's helpful to know. Would you recomend any in between? I don't want to jab the girlfriend with it, but I definately want to avoid any type of paralysis. Anyone have any comments on the hardness/softness of the A* air back protector?