Did you replace steering head bearings?

Did you need to replace your steering head bearings at 12k miles?

• Yes

Votes: 35 18.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 132 69.5%
  • No, but I fitted roller bearings anyways.

Votes: 23 12.1%

• Total voters

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you who have inspected your steering head bearings at the 12k mile service, did they need replaced?

Mine is due its service soon and was going to replace them with roller bearings if they are needed, but i dont believe in replacing working items, regardless of how little they cost....if it aint broken....so just gauging the chances of actually needin them as i want to buy them beforehand if its very likely.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Dave,

I have to think the need to replace the steering head bearings is in proportion to the number of wheelies a rider does. All this talk of corroded bearings and the like has made me go out and inspect the fork's action on my bike.... there's no play at all that I can feel, tugging on the front wheel with no weight on the front end. Doesn't seem to be broken, so I am not going to fix it. Side to side steering effort is still very low resistance, so I don't think I have any dents in the races, either.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I just passed the 12k mark this week and hardly ever do wheelies, only two (tiny ones, like 6 inches) that I can recall. 5000ft of altitude puts a damper on wheelie power. That said, when I go over bumps I can hear a clunk from the front so I am planning on ordering some all balls to swap in.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I voted the third option, but remembered that when I pulled the bearings at less than 4k miles, the grease on the lower one already have some rust color to it. So I would have had to replace at 12k, most likely.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to replace mine after 3 yrs of use. Some have replaced sooner than that and others haven't had to replace at all. It's a lower seal issue, it has nothing to do with environment, wheelies or maintenance.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Checked mine at about 26,000 miles. They looked good. I cleaned and put new grease in them and reused them. No need to replace something that's not broken.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I had to replace mine after 3 yrs of use. Some have replaced sooner than that and others haven't had to replace at all. It's a lower seal issue, it has nothing to do with environment, wheelies or maintenance.

I thought that might be the case...... when you did the replacment, did you manage to find a set of sealed bearings to go to?

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Replaced with allballs...

DSC03787.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked mine and had already purchased the All Balls but did not change them out as the stock ones were very well in tact.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know if Yamaha fixed this problem yet and if so what year did they get it fixed?

From what I've understood it was the factory not putting enough grease in the bearings. I don't know if they actually addressed the problem and fixed it. Just a quality control issue as far as I know.

trkrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Almost 18k on mine....wheelies and aggressive riding often. No problems yet!

Just a thought, those of you who have replaced these, do your bikes live outside? I've never had one apart so this is a guess, but how well are these bearings sealed from the elements?

Inadequate lubrication + water intrusion could definitely cause premature failure....

Last edited:

Pyro

Junior Asistant VP
Reaction score
Visit site
Made it to 5600K (3500 miles) before they were toast. I never wheelie. Really loosened up when I was 500 kms from home. That was a nervous ride.

The mechanic kept my bearings because he was so amazed at how bad they were. All Balls now.

HowlFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted no. At 12k miles, the bearings were fine. I'm at 20k miles and I can feel the front end is starting to get loose.

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick Q....does the tool in the bike toolkit used for adjusting shock preload fit the locknuts on the steering head?

Not got a C spanner atm