Damaged FZ6 For $2,600... Good Deal?

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I got a messaged from a member (corybusa) the other day about his FZ6 that he has that had some minor cosmetic damage, He says it runs great. I'll start with some pictures then some more info.

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00923.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

Alright, He says he wants $2,600 for it as it. Now some of you know I am looking for a bike for a winter project to make into a naked bike and this bike seems perfect but, is the price reasonable?

He also says he has all the parts to replace everything that he's going to sell if I don't need them and he will up the price according to whatever parts I want (if any). The parts he has are:
  • Used Cluster
  • Used Mirrors
  • Used From Signals
  • New Headlight
  • New Fairing Stay
  • New Front Main Fairing
  • New Side Fairings
  • New Windscreen
  • New Inner Panels
*The Used Stuff he Says Is Fine
** The New Stuff is OEM Yam Parts

Now, I am wondering I would even need any of those see as though I'm playing on making the bike naked (looking at the Buell XB9/12 headlight/windscreen set up and some new signals and mirrors).

Also if you have any things I should be aware of or questions I should ask then please let me know! I'm very interested in this bike.

Thanks All!
Tofer

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Caveat emptor, my friend..... could have more damage (bent rims, forks or even frame) than it first seems... If it is ridable, I would take a test ride first...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2005 right?
How many miles?
How was it damaged?
Are the forks straight?
Is the frame straight?
Has the TPS been done?
Has the front sprocket been done?

Are you happy with it?

Nelly

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont see why that wouldnt be a bad idea. It looks like the only damage is to the top fairing. Is there anything else damaged? He was probably doing Stoppies or something.

Id ask to test drive it. Make sure everthing is in order. Also check the fork seals. I once bought a zx6r and didnt look that hard! the seals were blown. See how much tread is on the tire, how many miles it has. stuff like that can help persuade im to go lower on the price.

Depending on all that it seems like a reasonable price

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
I would ask about the status of the title: clean or salvage. When you get ready to sell the bike, a salvage title may scare away a lot of people.

Imperitas

Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with buying something like this is the damage that can't be seen. You really need to be experienced in motorcycle repair to know what you are getting into. If the frame is bent, it's toast. Some damage can't be seen without the proper tools and some damage is easily over looked by the untrained eye. Also, do you have all the tools to make the repairs needed?

Long story short, if you don't know exactly what you are getting into from your own experience and know how, I'd walk away.

Was the bike totaled on an insurance claim? If so, get a copy of the estimate written by the insurance company.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the pictures again it must have been a minor off as damage to the tank looks nil.

Our tanks are very fragile and most offs result in a ding or scratch around the decal area.
I would be interested to find out how the accident occured.
How much does a mint 2005 go for?
Nelly

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the pictures again it must have been a minor off as damage to the tank looks nil.

Our tanks are very fragile and most offs result in a ding or scratch around the decal area.
I would be interested to find out how the accident occured.
How much does a mint 2005 go for?
Nelly

The Kelley Blue Book on a 05' is $4785
As for the tank, I'll include that in my questions to him, to see if it was damaged

The problem with buying something like this is the damage that can't be seen. You really need to be experienced in motorcycle repair to know what you are getting into. If the frame is bent, it's toast. Some damage can't be seen without the proper tools and some damage is easily over looked by the untrained eye. Also, do you have all the tools to make the repairs needed?

Long story short, if you don't know exactly what you are getting into from your own experience and know how, I'd walk away.

Was the bike totaled on an insurance claim? If so, get a copy of the estimate written by the insurance company.

I'm asking him about the title right now and how it went down, If nothing is mechanically wrong with it then I'm going to be very appt to buy it because I can do cosmetic things myself (or with help from buddies). Thats why I wanted the communities opinion on what questions I should ask in case I missed any big ones. But yeah if its only cosmetic damage to it then I'm going to look into giving it a visit and possibly buying it.

Btw thanks for all the help guys, keep it coming! :Flash:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Kelley Blue Book on a 05' is $4785
As for the tank, I'll include that in my questions to him, to see if it was damaged

I'm asking him about the title right now and how it went down, If nothing is mechanically wrong with it then I'm going to be very appt to buy it because I can do cosmetic things myself (or with help from buddies). Thats why I wanted the communities opinion on what questions I should ask in case I missed any big ones. But yeah if its only cosmetic damage to it then I'm going to look into giving it a visit and possibly buying it.

Btw thanks for all the help guys, keep it coming! :Flash:
The Kelley Blue Book on a 05' is $4785, so that would make the asking price reasonable in my book (as long as the mileage was OK). A new OEM fairing and light assembly would probably be the best part of $1,000 so you would still be quids in.

Nelly

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
The Kelley Blue Book on a 05' is $4785, so that would make the asking price reasonable in my book (as long as the mileage was OK). A new OEM fairing and light assembly would probably be the best part of $1,000 so you would still be quids in.

Nelly

Awesome, Thanks Nelly, I sent him those questions all of you listed and I'm waiting for a reply, I'll keep you guys updated as to what's up with all the questions.

Once again thanks to everyone who's helped out! :Flash:

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so he emailed me back and this is the answers he gave

1) How many miles are on it? 16,000 km (9,600 miles) according to the insurance records. new cluster is in miles not sure how many it will display

2) Are the forks straight? Yes

3) Is the Frame Straight? Yes I have rode this bike lots of times and it is fine. Starts and runs fine too.

4) Has the TPS been done? Don`t know

5) Has the front sprocket been done? Don`t know

6) Are the Fork Seals Broken? No leaks no issues

7) What's The Title on the Bike? Clean title

8) Are the rims bent? Front is fine, rear has a ding

9) How are the tires? Good

10) What was damaged? I buy wrecked bikes all the time and repair them as a hobby. Often the bikes have had parts stolen if they are not damaged before I get them so I do not know if the cluster or windscreen or fairings were damaged or stolen. All I have done to the bike so far is the handlebars and fairing stay. I have the old fairing stay and handlebars for you to see.

So what do you guys think is it worth the $2,600??

I'm looking into the Buell Headlight / Windscreen setup up which is $111
New Turn Signals $15-$30
New Tail Light $76
New Mirrors: Yet to decide on them

which would bring the grand total to about $2,820 + Mirrors+ Any other fittings I may need for the mods, for the bike and the parts needed to make her legal (and I have all winter to fix her up)

P.S. I feel like a tard asking :tard: but what is the TPS and if It hasn't been done what needs to be done and how much would it cost? Also if the Front Sprocket hasn't been done what needs to be done there and how much would that run me? :confused:

Thank you all so much for your help, I love you guys :D

pharmer

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a damaged 2006 FZ-6 for approximately $3000. It fell off of a trailer while being moved around a storage facility. It was never sold new - the dealership just salvaged it. It has 1300 miles on it from the guy who I bought it from.

The only damage is to the upper fairing - it is cracked. There is no damage anywhere else on the bike...the fork, wheels, etc. are all totally fine.

So that's my story. They are easy as heck to work on, and here in Minnesota if it passes a state inspection the salvage is cleared from the title. That would be the X factor for me...if the title will stay clear and you're up for the project, you'll probably be okay.

[COLOR=\"red\"]1) How many miles are on it?[/COLOR] 16,000 km (9,600 miles) according to the insurance records. new cluster is in miles not sure how many it will display

[COLOR=\"red\"]2) Are the forks straight?[/COLOR] Yes

[COLOR=\"red\"]3) Is the Frame Straight?[/COLOR] Yes I have rode this bike lots of times and it is fine. Starts and runs fine too.

[COLOR=\"red\"]4) Has the TPS been done?[/COLOR] Don`t know

[COLOR=\"red\"]5) Has the front sprocket been done?[/COLOR] Don`t know

[COLOR=\"red\"]6) Are the Fork Seals Broken? [/COLOR]No leaks no issues

[COLOR=\"red\"]7) What's The Title on the Bike?[/COLOR] Clean title

[COLOR=\"red\"]8) Are the rims bent?[/COLOR] Front is fine, rear has a ding

[COLOR=\"red\"]9) How are the tires?[/COLOR] Good

[COLOR=\"Red\"]10) What was damaged?[/COLOR] I buy wrecked bikes all the time and repair them as a hobby. Often the bikes have had parts stolen if they are not damaged before I get them so I do not know if the cluster or windscreen or fairings were damaged or stolen. All I have done to the bike so far is the handlebars and fairing stay. I have the old fairing stay and handlebars for you to see.

New Turn Signals $15-$30
New Tail Light $76

which would bring the grand total to about $2,820 + Mirrors+ Any other fittings I may need for the mods, for the bike and the parts needed to make her legal (and I have all winter to fix her up)

P.S. I feel like a tard asking :tard: but what is the TPS and if It hasn't been done what needs to be done and how much would it cost? Also if the Front Sprocket hasn't been done what needs to be done there and how much would that run me? :confused:

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site

[COLOR=\"red\"]1) How many miles are on it?[/COLOR] 16,000 km (9,600 miles) according to the insurance records. new cluster is in miles not sure how many it will display

[COLOR=\"red\"]2) Are the forks straight?[/COLOR] Yes

[COLOR=\"red\"]3) Is the Frame Straight?[/COLOR] Yes I have rode this bike lots of times and it is fine. Starts and runs fine too.

[COLOR=\"red\"]4) Has the TPS been done?[/COLOR] Don`t know

[COLOR=\"red\"]5) Has the front sprocket been done?[/COLOR] Don`t know

[COLOR=\"red\"]6) Are the Fork Seals Broken? [/COLOR]No leaks no issues

[COLOR=\"red\"]7) What's The Title on the Bike?[/COLOR] Clean title

[COLOR=\"red\"]8) Are the rims bent?[/COLOR] Front is fine, rear has a ding

[COLOR=\"red\"]9) How are the tires?[/COLOR] Good

[COLOR=\"Red\"]10) What was damaged?[/COLOR] I buy wrecked bikes all the time and repair them as a hobby. Often the bikes have had parts stolen if they are not damaged before I get them so I do not know if the cluster or windscreen or fairings were damaged or stolen. All I have done to the bike so far is the handlebars and fairing stay. I have the old fairing stay and handlebars for you to see.

New Turn Signals $15-$30
New Tail Light $76

Once again I'd buy it.

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much everyone, I think I'm going to move on this bike. For pricing purposes I put together a list of the parts I want to get to put the bike back together and this is what I cam up with...

ModParts.jpg

So with that list heres my ballpark of how much it may cost for the bike and al the goodies...

Bike: $2,600
Headlight: $111
Tail Light (which doesn't need to be replaced): $78
Turn Signals: $20... $40 for both from and back
Mirrors: $30

Totaling around $2,900 +plus any extra odds and ends parts like clamps to mount the mirrors on the handle bars and what not...

Once, I get all that in working order I'll probably look into getting some frame sliders and a FE from FAZER6 on the SBN Forum...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TPS Throttle position sensor, This was an issue for some 2005 bikes. It would cause erratic running and stalling.

The front sprocket locking washer had a potential issue so it was recalled.
The good thing is if your bike is affected they are covered by the factory.
If you look under the seat you will find the VIN number.
Give it to an authorise Yamaha dealer and they can check if the work has been carried out.

There was actually a thread where someone found a web page that you could check yourself.

Nelly

PS nearly forgot, I would buy it in a heart beat.