complete loss of power?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1... Please edit the original thread so the subject says "Complete loss of power [SOLVED]".

And in the body, add a summary about the kill switch and a direct link to your answering post with the pictures.

Thanks!

And not dredge through all the pain and suffering??? :BLAA: It would be kinda cool to search the forum for all "solved threads" and see how the storys unfold!

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. My 04 has done this twice in the past 2 weeks; the first time I thought it was low fuel as I was 60 km into the reserve, but, after reading this thread realise that a common factor was a rough road surface. So, kill switch and side stand switch will be checked soon - don't want to get stranded on a planned 4500 km tour in a month's time.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. My 04 has done this twice in the past 2 weeks; the first time I thought it was low fuel as I was 60 km into the reserve, but, after reading this thread realise that a common factor was a rough road surface. So, kill switch and side stand switch will be checked soon - don't want to get stranded on a planned 4500 km tour in a month's time.
Do it ASAP, and don't just spray contact spray inside the switches, take them apart (both sidestand and the kill switch) and clean.

Last week while on a ride my bike's engine shut off at ~80km/h, luckily I wasn't​ mid corner or overtaking, and on the way back to the mech (I promptly turned around as soon as it happened) jerked several times making me slow way down fearing it doesn't happen mid corner while leaning.

Sure enough, it was the kill switch, and even though I not long ago opened the right hand switch assembly and sprayed everything with contact spray, obviously without disassembling the kill switch and actually cleaning the copper contact plates it didn't do much.

The only warning prior to this was a single jerk 2-3 days earlier which I (like an idiot) wrote off as a fluke rather than a warning.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: opened and cleaned kill and kickstand switch. Both had a bit of grease on them; I suppose this is normal from the factory, but cleaned both with contact cleaner and sanded lightly with 800 grit to remove dark marks. Everything working properly but have not take the bike for a ride yet.

Will report back if all is not well.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update on my behalf;

After my own run-in with the infamous sudden kill switch cut out I had completely disassembled and cleaned the contacts on it.

I did around a thousand miles in the meantime with no problems - and then this morning, while mid corner at a decent lean and speed the little bastard cuts out scaring the crap out of me, and then completely shuts the engine off after ~6 miles.

So yeah, it's bypassing time for the red SOB.

Basically posting to cry on the collective shoulder of this forum :) and add to the accumulated knowledge base seeing how I find multiple threads on this problem.