complete loss of power?

charleso47

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 05 fz6 with 37k miles on it. Had it for about 4 months now and have been driving it almost every day with no problem. This started happening about a week ago. I'll be driving normally and i experience a complete loss of power, no noise coming from the exhaust and no response from the throttle. This lasts anywhere from half a second to upwards of 4 seconds. After which the engine resumes normal operation. There is no gradual decline or fluttering, its normal, then completely off, then normal again. I've checked the TPS and its fine. (17 low and 99 high). So as this is my first bike im not sure where to begin looking. No warning lights or codes (that i know of) showing up on the cluster either. Any ideas?

Problem solved.
I dont have a garage to keep it in but i do keep it covered. its a cheep walmart cover so moisture dose build up under it, but its minimal. got it in the garage and took it apart. first thing i checked was the kill switch.
sorry for the huge pics...
2012-07-14_10-27-20_48.jpg

it was kind of a pain to get completely apart, but there was a little corrosion.
cant really tell here.
2012-07-14_10-39-37_160.jpg

you can see a little here
2012-07-14_10-41-00_70.jpg

nothing to serious tho. cleaned off what little was there and was testing while i had it still out of the housing. wouldnt start. what i think is happening is the black piece that the wire contacts are connected to is wiggling loose and separating from the contacts on the actual switch. held the black piece against the switch and it started right up. let go of it and it died. so i put it all back together making sure it was securely in the housing all the way and went for a little 30 min ride. so far so good, we will see over the next week if it acts up anymore tho. while i had it apart i went ahead and checked the battery cables (good), kickstand switch (good) wires running from the controls (good), and the air box (good).

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike did something very similar when I first got it, the cause was a loose connection on the battery

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It could be an intermittent in the kill switch circuit. You might try splicing a jumper to eliminate the switch. Ride a couple of days to see if it behaves...

Last edited:

charleso47

Reaction score
Visit site
It could be in intermittent in the kill switch circuit. You might try splicing a jumper to eliminate the switch. Ride a couple of days to see if it behaves...

Thanks. Will try that too. Also i checked the oil yesterday and it was about 1/2' above the fill line. While i was on a slight incline, this still concerned me. Ill be in a garage tomorrow so ill check it again there.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+ 1 on all above tips!

Q? Were you turning or going over abnormally rough terrain? The reason I ask is wires in or around the steering head area could be worn and chaffed creating a short or open condition.

While in the shop, have it running and rock the bike for/aft on the front brake. If nothing, proceed to steer full left/right while rocking to simulate riding and see of the engine stops.

PS - I wouldn't ride it if this were my bike as it puts you at serious risk if it stops at the wrong time.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. Will try that too. Also i checked the oil yesterday and it was about 1/2' above the fill line. While i was on a slight incline, this still concerned me. Ill be in a garage tomorrow so ill check it again there.

Read your owners manual about how to check the oil, with the engine cold, it will show high... An incline will make checking it worse..

+1 on the kill switch jumper, its a known failure issue, especially if its used often..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From NHTSA:

Search for a Recall | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Make: YAMAHA Model: FZS600
Model Year: 2005
Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: SEP 27, 2006
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 06V371000 PE06020
NHTSA Action Number: PE06020
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, AN IMPROPERLY DESIGNED THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR COULD CAUSE AN INTERMITTENTLY UNSTABLE IDLE WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT IDLING SPEED WHEN THE MOTORCYCLE IS STOPPED OR DURING LOW-SPEED OPERATIONS. THE ENGINE COULD STALL AS A RESULT.
Consequence:
IF THE ENGINE STALLS AFTER THE OPERATOR DISENGAGES THE CLUTCH IN A LOW GEAR WHILE RIDING, THE REAR TIRE MIGHT SLIP MOMENTARILY IF THE OPERATOR ABRUPTLY RE-ENGAGES THE CLUTCH. THIS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH WITH INJURY OR DEATH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 16, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-888-88-YAMAHA.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Not likely your problem but if your bike is in this re-call, Yamaha will replace the TPS free... Give them a call with your VIN#

Last edited:

charleso47

Reaction score
Visit site
Vin checks out. Already loomed it up. Checked the tps anyways and all is good there.

It has only happened while cruising straight up or accelerating. Hasn't happened in a turn yet (knock on wood). Also, I've Not been on any terribly rough roads. But i will check for chaffed wires.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Vin checks out. Already loomed it up. Checked the tps anyways and all is good there.

QUOTE]

I'm not sure what "checks out" means and "loomed it up" as well. Did Yamaha confirm the TPS has been replaced?

My old 04 FJR had the same re-call and passed the diagnostics as well, its a safety re-call. I had mine replaced as I didn't need it failing in traffic at a very inopportune time...

Its a known issue, should you decide to ignore it, its possible your going right past your problem as well as gambling with your life...

Good luck..

charleso47

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the bad grammar. Typing on my phone is sketchy at times. I've checked my vin and my bike was not included in the recall. If it were, i would get it replaced whether it was failing or not.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike should be covered under the recall, all 04's and 05's iirc. Call a Yamaha dealer to make sure.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were a betting man, I'd definitely go with the above recommendations of battery lead, but most likely kill switch. (do you lose lights/dash as well? If so, it's the battery, if not, it's most likely the kill switch)

One other possibility is the side stand switch. If the bike 'thinks' the side stand is down, due to an intermittent connection/ground, then that may also account for it.

Have a look, put the bike on the centre stand and give that side stand switch a jolly good wriggle.

Please let us know when you've found the fault!

Cheers,
Rick

Edit: No, unfortunately Chevy, only those in a specific VIN range. (I tried with my '05)

Last edited:

charleso47

Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike should be covered under the recall, all 04's and 05's iirc. Call a Yamaha dealer to make sure.

Thanks. I will defiantly call just to be sure.

If I were a betting man, I'd definitely go with the above recommendations of battery lead, but most likely kill switch. (do you lose lights/dash as well? If so, it's the battery, if not, it's most likely the kill switch)

One other possibility is the side stand switch. If the bike 'thinks' the side stand is down, due to an intermittent connection/ground, then that may also account for it.

Have a look, put the bike on the centre stand and give that side stand switch a jolly good wriggle.

Please let us know when you've found the fault!

Cheers,
Rick

Edit: No, unfortunately Chevy, only those in a specific VIN range. (I tried with my '05)

I didnt think about the side stand switch. Ill have a look at that as well.
The cluster doesn't lose power when it happens so probly not the battery leads. Still worth taking a look tho.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That side stand switch comes apart pretty easily for cleaning and servicing should it be the problem.

If you have to take it apart for cleaning, I would strongly recommend putting it back together with dilectric grease to prevent any further problems..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That side stand switch comes apart pretty easily for cleaning and servicing should it be the problem.

If you have to take it apart for cleaning, I would strongly recommend putting it back together with dilectric grease to prevent any further problems..

What's interesting is the bike could loose power and the ECM doesn't record an error of any kind. Those kinda point to the topic of descussion; kill switch and side stand. All others should leave evidence in memory.

charleso47

Reaction score
Visit site
So i was checking some things after work and when i tapped on the kill switch, it started to sputter. so i wiggled it and sure enough it died and came back to life soon after. still going to check everything else tomorrow, but im fairly sure its the kill switch.