Clutch Slave Levers - I'm making them again

737driver

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lever arrived this afternoon, looks great, I wish my welds could look that nice. Can't wait to get it all installed and adjusted. Thanks killer!

Havok3c

Reaction score
Visit site
Killer,

Scratch that lol, my parts shipped to you today from cheap cycle parts, i am going to put mine back on so i can ride it and will send my OG ones to you when i get the new ones, keep the 20 buck refund as a tip my friend. thank you for doing this for us.

Last edited:

Havok3c

Reaction score
Visit site
If the clutch pull is 25-30% less stiff, the engagement zone is also 25-30% longer. I've been to the drag strip several times with the mod and the clutch is much easier to modulate to get exactly the amount of torque I want at any given time.

I guarantee you will stall less at lights, take off smoother, shift smoother, etc with this mod. I honestly don't understand why Yamaha didn't make their clutch like this at the factory. I've felt literbike clutches that didn't feel half as horrible as the stock FZ6 clutch.

As far as adjustment goes, when you take the lever off you can put the new lever a spline higher on the shaft to get your adjustment back to factory.

Basically, installing the new lever goes like this:

1. Install the cable hanger bracket with the cable in the 2nd(new) position.
  2. Screw the handlebar clutch adjustment (clockwise) and the mid-cable adjustment all the way in.
  3. Pull the cable at the motor as far out as it will go to pull the lever at the handlebar all the way out (we need to remove all slack in the cable, just pull it taut)
  4. Install the new clutch slave lever onto the cable(but not onto the splined shaft.
  5. Put the clutch slave return spring in place.
  6. Rotate the clutch input splined shaft clockwise until it stops to take the slack out of it.
  7. Position the new clutch slave lever over the input splined shaft and rotate it as hard counter-clockwise as you can before you slide it on the input splined shaft (this is to take all of the slack out of the cable).
  8. When the lever is on the input splined shaft, put the clutch slave return spring on the clutch slave lever.
  9. Tap the clutch slave lever all the way down and reinstall the factory washer and circlip on the splined input shaft.
  10. Adjust the master lever at the handlebar until the desired engagement zone is reached.

Is that step necessary for anything other then ease of getting the cable on the assembly? The reason i ask is i am not sure about getting my airbox off, i can put the oem lever on and off with out using the mid one but is not having that one all the way in going to effect the performance of the new lever.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't need to do the middle adjustment usually. You can try it out moving the lever on the splines if you max out your handlebar adjustment trying to tighten it up.

Havok3c

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha! Damn, I should have noticed!

Thanks. Paypal sent!

Looks like you are in line for a core, i just checked and the parts i ordered got to him today, as soon as i get them back i will get that core off asap so you wont have to wait to long.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you are in line for a core, i just checked and the parts i ordered got to him today, as soon as i get them back i will get that core off asap so you wont have to wait to long.

Yep, I got them today. I might be able to get it off early tomorrow, but much more likely it will be Monday morning.

I'm still going to need 2 cores, one for myself (since I sent out my personal lever off my bike to get it to someone quickly) and another for the next guy in line.

Legion

Reaction score
Visit site
Killer, count me in for one of your mods. Parts ordered from Ron Ayers being shipped to your address. I sent you the $50 through paypal. Thanks man

Havok3c

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I got them today. I might be able to get it off early tomorrow, but much more likely it will be Monday morning.

I'm still going to need 2 cores, one for myself (since I sent out my personal lever off my bike to get it to someone quickly) and another for the next guy in line.

use the 20 that you would send back to me to buy a core for you. was only a few days wait till it shipped.

tomorrow or Monday its all good, ill get them on asap and get my core back as soon as i can.

Bengine

Reaction score
Visit site
Killer, I'd like to do the send you $70 and you refund when I send you my core (to not have any downtime). Do you have one modified that I can claim or are you not doing that anymore?

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Killer, I'd like to do the send you $70 and you refund when I send you my core (to not have any downtime). Do you have one modified that I can claim or are you not doing that anymore?

No more $70 option. If you want to send in your lever, great. But I'm not getting back many cores from people I'm doing the $70 option with, so I think that was probably a bad idea.

Bengine

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, I'm ordering some other parts now I'll just throw on these two and ship them to you. I'll paypal when I put them in the mail. Sounds like you could use my core when I swap it out?

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, I'm ordering some other parts now I'll just throw on these two and ship them to you. I'll paypal when I put them in the mail. Sounds like you could use my core when I swap it out?

Definitely.

Musky Mike said:
Hey, I've following the tread somewhat...so this mod give a light clutch pull??

Essentially yes. Also, you get a longer friction zone and your clutch cable will be under less strain than stock, meaning it will be less prone to breakage (theoretically).

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
use the 20 that you would send back to me to buy a core for you. was only a few days wait till it shipped.

tomorrow or Monday its all good, ill get them on asap and get my core back as soon as i can.

Looks like it is going to be tomorrow. I was going to take them to work this morning and noticed a spot on the end of the lever that looks like the powder coat went on a little light. I'm going to redo the powder and make sure you get a flawless lever.

Havok3c

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like it is going to be tomorrow. I was going to take them to work this morning and noticed a spot on the end of the lever that looks like the powder coat went on a little light. I'm going to redo the powder and make sure you get a flawless lever.

Awsome man thank you!

Legion

Reaction score
Visit site
Killer, the parts from Ron Ayers are on order so it'll be a few days. "On Order - Your part(s) have been ordered from our vendor(s) and are in route to our warehouse." Like I said before they are being shipped directly to your door.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a great ride today! I also noticed that having the clutch lever adjusted with the factory recommended free play really adds to the effectivness of the lever mod. Sounds obvious, but I was used to having my clutch pretty tight with little play, but loosened up a little, was much better. The friction zone felt huge compared to how it was previously.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm all out of levers. I still need 2 cores in, so please send them in! I can't ride until I get a core back because I've already sent my lever off as a core.

Thanks for your cooperation!:rockon: