Clutch Slave Levers - I'm making them again

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
If I sent parts out Monday, how long is the return time expected??
Are the used parts from my bike ok to send?

If I receive them this week, I'm expecting to have everything completed and shipped back by the end of the following week.

And yes, you can send the parts from your bike if you are ok with not being able to ride it for a little bit.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
All of the supplies are ordered and on the way. I still have to go out and buy a small sandblasting cabinet to prep all the parts for powdercoat.

bryanwny

Reaction score
Visit site
Now this looks like an awesome mod! Payment just sent and parts on the way soon.

Just a suggestion -- Consider editing your first post to put the address and paypal info on it so people like myself who have already read about it and want this mod don't have to scan through it all again to find it :thumbup:

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI guys, you can to go USER CP, the on the left click on EDIT OPTIONS. Then under the DISPLAY & THREAD OPTIONS, you can change the number of posts displayed per page. Raising the number of posts per page to 40 condenses 9 pages to 2 1/2. ;)

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
payment sent. parts will go in the mail tomorrow!

+1 on consolidating the purchase/payment/parts info in the original post. 9 pages is becoming cumbersome...

Good call, original post updated.

My machinist said the parts will be done either today or tomorrow, so I should be able to start cutting/welding/bending/etc shortly. I'm still waiting on the pins and tubing I need to modify the cable holder from McMaster, but that should be in quickly too. They are usually pretty good with their shipping.

The pins I ordered aren't the circlip type I ordered last time, they are the hair pin cotter pin type so changing the clutch setting should be tool free. All the hardware is stainless, like last time.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone else have a little trouble getting the slave lever off or am I just special? The circular retaining clip was a pain to get off...

Money sent. Will ship parts tomorrow.

Parts shipped priority mail.

The pins I ordered aren't the circlip type I ordered last time, they are the hair pin cotter pin type so changing the clutch setting should be tool free. All the hardware is stainless, like last time.

Nice :thumbup:

Shoey

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up going to OSH and buying some snap ring pliers for around $10. Although, I haven't tried removing my stock lever yet so I can't say if they're the right size, etc.

bryanwny

Reaction score
Visit site
I shipped mine this afternoon too :D

Anyone else have a little trouble getting the slave lever off or am I just special? The circular retaining clip was a pain to get off...

I went to the local hardware and bought a set of snap ring pliers also. Do It Best #378755. It was only like $8 (I get everything at 10% over cost though) and it came with 4 different ends you can swap to. I used the 90 degree bend ones, and it popped that circlip off in 2 seconds with ease.

Anyone else's little rubber "boot" dry rotted to hell?!

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Money sent. Parts removed...parts sent Feb 16

Thanks for doing this. One of my least favourite things about the bike is the clutch.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the local hardware and bought a set of snap ring pliers also. Do It Best #378755. It was only like $8 (I get everything at 10% over cost though) and it came with 4 different ends you can swap to. I used the 90 degree bend ones, and it popped that circlip off in 2 seconds with ease.

Anyone else's little rubber "boot" dry rotted to hell?!

snap ring pliers - I was sitting there thinking, I bet there is a special tool for this.

rubber boot - yes, mine is in rough shape (2004 FZ6).

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
They sell rubber boots for RC cars. They cover the axle.
Here is an example:
DYN7687-2.jpg

DYN7687 Dynamite Replacement Boots: CV-Shafts, Black (4): TMX

It may be easier/cheaper to order these. I'm not sure about the size. Maybe visit your local hobby shop.....

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Parts from McMaster shipped today, they should be here by the end of the week. The levers should be ready tomorrow, I'll get started on my brother's lever and hanger to make the jig for the rest of them in a couple days.