clutch hanging up on me

Skote

Reaction score
Visit site
ok here is the scenario when i put my bike in first engine off ...say on an incline pull in the clutch the bike wont roll...but if i give it a nudge it seems to push past this point of friction then everything appears to be normal

.....also say the bike is off in first gear.....clutch all the way in start it...the bike jumps a little then its fine....the clutch cable is not sticking i can see its fully returning and engaging..i tried adjusting the clutch cable it appears to have no effect it seems to be internal within the clutch ....any insight would be appreciated

also if you look at my other thread about how when getting moving from a stop the bike seems to have a kinds a shuddering vibe going through it then it all smoothes out ....and its only when you kinda slip the clutch out

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
With the bike off, remove the oil filler cap and pull in the clutch. Can you see the clutch basket move?

Sounds like either the steels are warped or the springs are worn.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
It's not unusual for this to happen when the engine is cold. This is true on most bikes. If it seems excessive try adjusting the clutch cable.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds 100 normal. These are wet clutches. With the engine off and cooled, the clutch likes to "stick" at first. All motorcycle I have had are like this.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said, this is perfectly normal. As the plates and disks have pressure against them (engaged) the oil is squeezed out from between the clutch disks and friction plates. When you disengage the pressure there is still a small amount of friction but enough that they will begin slip and oil is reintroduced between the disks.

When you have the bike in neutral, engine running, pull in the clutch and put it in first, there is a small bump. This is the same thing. That split second of the disks freeing them selves creates that bump. Perfectly normal. :D

Now if there was still engagement of the engine to transmission through the clutch the bike would still want to roll or the engine would stall.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto on the two posts above ~ Normal it is. . .

Like Cliff said, the flat clutch disc and steel plates stick - think of pouring water on the counter top and throwing some saran wrap down on it. It's gonna stick!

Mine does all the things you describe. You may try some different oil.