changed oil and now sticky shifter drum?

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
I recently changed my oil from Yamaha full synthetic 20-50 to Mobile1 10-40.
Since the change I've been having the the typical sticky shifter drum symptom.

I can shift one gear at a time but I have to tap the lever back into position before I can shift again. Shifting has become: clutch in, shift up, clutch out, tap down, clutch in, shift up, clutch out, tap down etc.... not awesome

It never happened when I was using the 20-50, and seems to only become a problem as the 10-40 oil gets warm.

Its it likely that the oil has anything to do with it, or am I making things up?
Why would it have this effect?

Thanks for any information

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny cuz even though I don't have a shift problem my SV seems to vaporize the Mobil1 when I push the motor a little. I also started wondering why I started using oil between changes and it had never done that. Some engines will because of inherent design. My brother's BMW 650i some Honda 1000rr's etc.
I did some research and found other SV owners experienced the same thing with the Mobile1
Not saying it's a bad oil but it may not be best in certain environments.

I'll be changing it to another shortly.:)

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I don't think this has anything to do with oil or the shift drum. Once the drum shifts it has nothing to do with the shifter returning. You probably just need to lube the pivots for the shift linkage.

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think this has anything to do with oil or the shift drum. Once the drum shifts it has nothing to do with the shifter returning. You probably just need to lube the pivots for the shift linkage.

In searching the forum, I found lots of references to sticky shift drums / shift return springs failing?
I'll definitely try lubricating the shift linkage pivots before digging into anything!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey neighbor. That's really bizarre- the shifter gets stickier as the oil heats up.

When my shift lever wouldn't reset intermittently it was because of an obstruction. Is clearance tight anywhere on upshifts?

The FZ6 unfortunately does not have a wide range of shift lever position adjustment.

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey neighbor. That's really bizarre- the shifter gets stickier as the oil heats up.

When my shift lever wouldn't reset intermittently it was because of an obstruction. Is clearance tight anywhere on upshifts?

The FZ6 unfortunately does not have a wide range of shift lever position adjustment.

It seems to get worse as it warms up, and not be a problem at all with thicker oil, but correlation is not causation. I also had to adjust the engine guards when I did the oil change and its possible moved something into an interference position...

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems to get worse as it warms up, and not be a problem at all with thicker oil, but correlation is not causation. I also had to adjust the engine guards when I did the oil change and its possible moved something into an interference position...

Ok cool. That may be it. If it's tight, of course bring it down a bit to get a safety margin for consistent shifting.

Also, if your rearsets move around from the rubber washers at the mounts, I'd recommend unbolting them and flipping those washers. You'll have then have solidly mounted rearsets.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your shifter linkage is adjusted too low, the shifter arm (that you actualy push with your foot) will strike the frame preventing FULL MOVEMENT.

Make sure there's physically nothing binding with all the outside shifter linkage.

Adjusting the long rod (with the reverse threads on one end) to bring the shifter up slightly would solve the problem (if this is the case)..

There's also a return spring (part #10 and part #1) for the shifter on the left side of the engine which should return the short, shifter shaft to center. You could disconnect the linkage and make sure it is returning. Double click on the pic, it'll enlarge it further..

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2006 FZ-6 - FZS6V SHIFT SHAFT Diagram

Good luck...

Last edited:

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
If your shifter linkage is adjusted too low, the shifter arm (that you actualy push with your foot) will strike the frame preventing FULL MOVEMENT.

Make sure there's physically nothing binding with all the outside shifter linkage.

Adjusting the long rod (with the reverse threads on one end) to bring the shifter up slightly would solve the problem (if this is the case)..

There's also a return spring (part #10 and part #1) for the shifter on the left side of the engine which should return the short, shifter shaft to center. You could disconnect the linkage and make sure it is returning. Double click on the pic, it enlarge further..

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2006 FZ-6 - FZS6V SHIFT SHAFT Diagram

Good luck...

I doubt its hitting the frame now, when it wasn't a week ago... but I'll be inspecting its motion again tonight. Thanks for the tips on the spring!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, its probably not the issue, but I'd check all the basics first.

BTW, on my old, 1980 Yamaha XS 650 (looked like a Triumph twin), that shifter spring (#1) broke, with nothing to hold the wheel and arm, that holds the drum in place, played hell getting home. Easy enough fix but it was quite obvious what happened..

Good luck..

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Also make sure the shifter pivot bolt isn't coming loose. If you find one around town in SE, it's mine! :eek:

jbwDfue4vyqTEy.jpg

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
Also make sure the shifter pivot bolt isn't coming loose. If you find one around town in SE, it's mine! :eek:

jbwDfue4vyqTEy.jpg

I did a quick inspection, nothing seems wrong, no loose bolts, no frame interactions etc..
I'll have to to a more thorough look when I get a chance. BUT I WANT TO RIDE this weekend...

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
I've lubed all the points including the main pivot point to no avail.
I flipped the peg mounting washers.

No change.

I have not disassembled anything to clean it, which is my next step.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll add that some oils break down sooner than others and leave it feeling crunchy. Change the oil and see what it does. Likely the outside temps changed a good bit too.

Also, confirm the shift rod is free to rotate and is not bound. Its easy to tighten it leaving it bound. It should rotate by finger tips 30 degrees or so. If it doesn't, loosen one end and get the joints centered.

Chris, I haven't seen your bolt yet! lol