Chain is throwing a lot of red dust

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me just get this in the right order (sorry, got lost in the bun fight). You had sufficient chain wear to change the chain first, with some red dust. Then changed the sprockets and found your front sprocket nut was lose, at which point the red dust stopped?

Let's not get confused; :rolleyes: erburtt has the red dust on chain and stretch problem. All I am saying is that when I serviced Honi I checked the sprocket and noticed red dust on it, presumably from a bit of rust and the movement of the nut against the washer. There is nothing wrong with my chain - well lubed and not stretched much therefore I just changed the sprockets as a set. (went +1 on the rear) :D

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Let's not get confused; :rolleyes: erburtt has the red dust on chain and stretch problem. D

Lol, right, cleared up. If the old ladies could take it to another part of the forum and have their handbags at dawn session out of the way, this would be much easier!

On topic:
I suspect erburtt has a similar issue to what you had. There's some corrosion in or around the front sprocket that was dusting things orange. Having changed the chain without changing the sprockets (no mention of sprocket change in original post) there is now more wear between the chain and sprockets as the new chain tries to force the old sprockets to fit it, and explains the excessive perceived stretch in the chain (it's the sprockets wearing as opposed to the chain stretching). A new pair of sprockets before the chain gets too old would probably solve it. I doubt this is a cleaning/lubing issue.

It's why it's recommended that chains and sprockets are changed as a set of three.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Please accept my apology and yes, i derserved that ^^.

Regardless, erburtt's issue is too long of service interval on a product that **potentially** doesnt offer the level of protection required. Hence the wear, adjustment, and dreaded red rust.

I'd say the chain is doomed and with the pin wear increasing its length, will only take the sprockets out if left. Pins are on 5/8" spacing untill wear sets in.

Or lube the daylights out of it with a petroleum product to get the loose particles out and see how long it goes...

OPs choice now....

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
When I changed my chain last year I didn't touch my sprockets, both looked good.

The rust is definitely being flung off the chain, its a deep red colour too, no orange about it... I just washed my bike and reset the chain tension. I'm going to ride it back to my place (was using my parents hose and driveway to wash it in) its about 70 km (~40 miles) so ill see where I'm at tonight in terms of length. Nothing is open today so I'll be going out tomorrow to find some different lube. I will be needing to change my front sprocket soon (and by association my rear as well) as its definitely starting to show some wear, whether that's from the new chain or not I'm not entirely sure.

I'm a bit concerned I pushed this chain past its limits, I haven't seen any o-rings coming out or anything like that... any ideas on how I can confirm it'll be okay for a while longer?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm a bit concerned I pushed this chain past its limits, I haven't seen any o-rings coming out or anything like that... any ideas on how I can confirm it'll be okay for a while longer?

Losen it off slightly, and check every link and roller for free movement. Then do the "push test" with it with at perfect tension: if you can push the chain well out of alignment it's knackered. I doubt it's your chain my money's on the sprockets. They really should be changed all at the same time.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site

The link length is 5/8 inch, or in metric language 15.8mm. Therefore a 10 link section should measure 158mm. Acceptable wear/stretch seems to be 1.5% which equates to 161mm over 10 links. If your chain is over 161mm it needs to be replaced. (you're in the USA, you'll have to do the math in imperial).

BTW, I cannot figure the measurement in the manual which measures from the insides of the 1st and 11th pins - 150.1mm!! which is shorter than 10 new links! Imperial: 5.91 inches is maximum. Now, I calculate 10 new links in Imperial to be 6.25"? I'm not sure what the pin diameter is to subtract it from 6.25.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site

The link length is 5/8 inch, or in metric language 15.8mm. Therefore a 10 link section should measure 158mm. Acceptable wear/stretch seems to be 1.5% which equates to 161mm over 10 links. If your chain is over 161mm it needs to be replaced. (you're in the USA, you'll have to do the math in imperial).

BTW, I cannot figure the measurement in the manual which measures from the insides of the 1st and 11th pins - 150.1mm!! which is shorter than 10 new links! Imperial: 5.91 inches is maximum. Now, I calculate 10 new links in Imperial to be 6.25"? you will have to subtract the pin diameter from 6.25 to get your maximum.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Did some research today: pin diameter on a 530 chain is 0.2" or 5 mm. Therefore, if limit of stretch is 161 mm (according to me), then 161-5=156 mm between pins 1 and 11. Is that 150 in the service manual a typo and should read 156?

But then; 6.25"-0.02 = 6.05". Perhaps Yamaha allow a 1% stretch.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did some research today: pin diameter on a 530 chain is 0.2" or 5 mm. Therefore, if limit of stretch is 161 mm (according to me), then 161-5=156 mm between pins 1 and 11. Is that 150 in the service manual a typo and should read 156?

But then; 6.25"-0.02 = 6.05". Perhaps Yamaha allow a 1% stretch.

6.25"-0.02 = 6.23? or I think you meant this? 6.25"-0.2 = 6.05?

Also:
Here's a DID chain chart at the bottom of the chart you will see pitch specifications for different size chains. Pitch for the 530 chain is 15.875 mm or .625 inches.
usaSpecs2014.jpg

Last edited: