Buy an FZ6?

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:eek: Yes, yes, yes...you should buy an FZ6. If you haven't already, test ride it along with whatever other bikes you are considering.

How does it compare to competitiors in the same class? No comparison, it looks better, most bang for the buck, more horsepower 97 hp between 11,500 and 12,000 rpm stock, reputation for dependability. Read this: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/middleweight_motorcycle_comparison/index.html

What year should I get? They are all good. 04-06 are essentially the same bike (FZ6s1), upgrades came in 07, 07-09 again essentially same bike. For a more details on the differences go here: Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How does it perform at low rpm is there enough torque? It performs just fine, there is enough torque at low rpm to do just about anything you need to do, by their nature, in-line 4's like higher rpm's.

But I read an article that the low torque at low rpm's makes driving in city traffic difficult? Yes, I read the articles too, basically much ado about nothing, it does just fine at slow speeds and low rpm's.

Is it a good beginner bike? Yes, it is a good beginner bike, second bike, long-term bike, whatever, the FZ6 grows with your skill level, it is very forgiving.

What about performance? It won't beat an r6 in the canyons with a good rider, but it is definitely capable of keeping up based on your skill level.

Performance Specs:
Corrected 1/4 mile: 11.30 sec. @ 119.42 mph
0-60 mph: 3.44 sec.
0-100 mph: 7.87 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph: 6.09 sec.
Fuel mileage (low/high/average): 32/44/38

Is the riding position comfortable? Not as comfortable as the FJR1300 or Goldwing, but more comfortable than any other supersport out there. You will be able to put in many hours and many miles with relatively few aches and pains.

Should I get full fairing, half fairing or naked? Up to your personal taste, I personally love it in all of its configurations.

Which one is fastest? The Red one obviously, ask any cop :D.

If you still have questions after all of this, do some more research, use the search feature, post a more specific question.

Good luck in whatever you decide, enjoy and ride safe :thumbup:

Last edited:

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
That was outstanding! Thank you. I agree whole-heartedly.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the FZ6 vs R6 in the canyons is debateable. It would take a professional to be able to show the difference. These bikes can be pushed wayyyyyy harder than you can imagine.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
lol :thumbup:

Well I disagree on the "good beginner bike" statement. Better than an R6, yes. "Good" first bike, not in my book. So many better options out there...

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Fully agreee with everything except:
Which one is fastest? The Red one obviously, ask any cop :D.

Ask anyone who owns the blue the blue is the fastest :thumbup::rockon::rockon::rockon:

bbtaco

Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking about buying a '09 FZ6. But I am concerned about heat from the under seat exhaust. Does the seat get hot? I plan on some 2 up riding for maybe 150 to 200 miles.

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking about buying a '09 FZ6. But I am concerned about heat from the under seat exhaust. Does the seat get hot? I plan on some 2 up riding for maybe 150 to 200 miles.

it gets warm but nothing horrible not even when ur sitting naked on ur bike..
but i havent tried that....:spank:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
so get mid 3 second 0-60 time do you need to do a launch from 6k rpm?

I don't know, never had it to the track for an official 1/4 milrerun. All times posted were done as part of the testing for the Motorcyclist Online magazine.

I personally have smoked an 08 mustang, and a Dodge Charger on two seperate occasions. In both cases I took off at a little higher rpm than normal, once the clutch was fully released I opened up, wound it out in first, hit 2nd and was up to 70 PDQ.

Anybody here ran an 1/8 or 1/4 mile track that might be able to shed some light on this question?

Last edited:

Bubba La

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know, never had it to the track for an official 1/4 milrerun. All times posted were done as part of the testing for the Motorcyclist Online magazine.

I personally have smoked an 08 mustang, and a Dodge Charger on two seperate occasions. In both cases I took off at a little higher rpm than normal, once the clutch was fully released I opened up, wound it out in first, hit 2nd and was up to 70 PDQ.

Anybody here ran an 1/8 or 1/4 mile track that might be able to shed some light on this question?
considering a used one, saw several at bert's.you're in ventura so you know the place.they had three i think, an '05 an'06 and an'07. the '05 had the least miles on it and was several hundred less.
go for the least miles or the newer fuel injection set-up on the others?
tia from santa clarita

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
considering a used one, saw several at bert's.you're in ventura so you know the place.they had three i think, an '05 an'06 and an'07. the '05 had the least miles on it and was several hundred less.
go for the least miles or the newer fuel injection set-up on the others?
tia from santa clarita

:welcome:
Go for it, the biggest differences between the '05 and the '07 are the front brakes, swing arm and the fuel mapping, check out more details here: Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My recommendation would be the '05, lower miles, lower price, and I personally like the fairing on the '05 better than the one on the '07 :thumbup:.

I don't think you will be dissapointed whith whatever year you choose.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think those performance specs are from an 04 model. The power is the same, but I think it shaved off a little over 10 lbs. Not sure how much it will help, but certainly wouldn't hurt. :thumbup:

The 07 FZ6 sitting outside is my first bike. Have had it for about a month and put on just over 1000 miles on it. I wouldn't say it's a bad beginner bike, but in the wrong hands it could easily become a bad starter bike. Definitely more than enough power to get someone in over their head.