Body Weight vs. Shock Setting

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
Ok..Ok...I have read a bunch of posts about adjusting the shock. I just went out and adjusted the setting from 3 to 5 and took it out for a spin. Wow, what a difference! I am not bouncing up and down and flying all over the place when I hit a pothole.

When I took on some twists and turns and let the throttle go it was awesome- man what a difference. However, maybe I hit a rock that I didn't see and maybe not but I just about had the back end come out from under me. So I set it 4 for now.

My question is that I have seen in some posts where other people have it set to 5. I am 6' or 182 tall and I weigh about 280lbs. or 127 kilo. What does anyone think I should have my shock set on?

I really liked the ride set on 5 but having the back end just about come out from under me so easily freaked me out- especially since I layed my poor fz6 down about a week ago and am not in the mood to do it again.

J.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent question! I haven't played with different settings at all, it will be great to see the (educated) responses you get. :thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
My rear shock is still set at the factory "3" position.
I weigh 175 lbs and can't really say that I've had any issues with my bike's handling. I have felt a little bit of "twitchiness" in the rear once in a while, but I can't decide if it's the suspension or the OEM Dunlop tires. My money's on the Dunlops being the culprit.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
230 lbs and I keep it on 7 all the time. I like my baby's ass nice and firm! :thumbup:

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
My rear shock is still set at the factory "3" position.
I weigh 175 lbs and can't really say that I've had any issues with my bike's handling. I have felt a little bit of "twitchiness" in the rear once in a while, but I can't decide if it's the suspension or the OEM Dunlop tires. My money's on the Dunlops being the culprit.

I do have a brand new tire with about 100+ miles on it but this was not a slide but more like a bounce or jump like I had downshifted at too high of speed and let the clutch out.....or ran over a large enough rock but that seems unlikely.

H

HavBlue

185 in full gear with the shock set at 4 and this is very cool for me. 5 was too stiff and 3 to mushy..... Play with it and find your own sweet spot.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Were you down shifting when you had the jump? I went into a very big round a bout way to hot a while ago. I didn't blip the throttle and just shifted down. It felt like I had the rear end in the air.
I am 12 stone, I have set the rear at 5 and it works great for me.

Neil

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is the stiffness the only adjustment on the rear? i think it is but not positive. Also what is adjustable on the front?

H

HavBlue

is the stiffness the only adjustment on the rear? i think it is but not positive. Also what is adjustable on the front?

On the rear you can only adjust the preload (spring) and on the front you have zero. Going aftermarket on both ends will allow you to gain the compression and rebound. I do like piggyback shocks but they do get pricey.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats what i thought, but don;t have the bike near me so i couldn't check. I am also too lazy right now to go look in the manual...

H

HavBlue

thats what i thought, but don;t have the bike near me so i couldn't check. I am also too lazy right now to go look in the manual...

What??? You don't sleep with your bike? What is this world coming to?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mine is in heated storage 20 miles away... 45 degrees for a high today, so i could ride, but snow, freezing rain, and such tonight and tomorow...

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I'm amazed that there isn't a chart published somewhere. In the manual it has a chart of weights and recommended tyre pressures, but I don't remember seeing a preload one. That would be helpful.

I'm 95kg (210lbs) without any kit, and I ride with a pillion one a week so I should probably try a higher setting. Maybe I'll make a change this weekend and see how it goes.

H

HavBlue

On the front you can let the air out of the tyres.....thats fun :Sport:

Rather than let air out, why not put air in? If you take the caps off the front tubes and tap them for valves you can add air to the tubes which will change dampening. We have done this with dirt bikes for years. Keep in mind 10psi is a lot (huge) so take it easy if you do this.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Hav when you say piggyback do you mean remote res? or an additional shock?

I do add stiffness when i ride two up. and i had a similar problem to the original poster...riding on the highway, hit a dip and the back end wanted to launch me off the bike.... I stiffened it up some and no longer have this problem. Just play with it like others have said and find what you like best.

H

HavBlue

Hav when you say piggyback do you mean remote res? or an additional shock?

I do add stiffness when i ride two up. and i had a similar problem to the original poster...riding on the highway, hit a dip and the back end wanted to launch me off the bike.... I stiffened it up some and no longer have this problem. Just play with it like others have said and find what you like best.

Yeah Madman its the remote reservoir type shocks that will really get things dialed in. I have them on the rear of the Sporty and they made huge gains on that bike. Dang things were almost $900. For shocks...... Now I know i'm nuts....

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah Madman its the remote reservoir type shocks that will really get things dialed in. I have them on the rear of the Sporty and they made huge gains on that bike. Dang things were almost $900. For shocks...... Now I know i'm nuts....

$900! :eek: I didn't pay that much for springs and shocks for the car! (they weren't adjustable but there is four!)