Bike performance decreased after drop in parking lot

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's why I mentioned I didn't know how the flow was controlled. First bike... been throttle-by-wired to death in cars in recent years.

I guess its TBC then. . . Throttle By Cable!

Have you checked the TPS after the tip over?

Kleinxv

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all I have a similar problem but not as bad as the Youtube clip my 2004 FZ6 has all of a suddently started to bog down it sounds like you are in too high a gear you can hear the induction roar coming from the air box the engine still pulls through the rev range but not as responsive I have checked the air filter it is clean I pulled the plugs out they seems ok. Unlike the original post my bike with 6500MLS on the clock which I have owned from new has never been dropped. I was going to try some fuel system cleaner next. The bike starts and idles perfect if you snap the throttle quick while ticking over it is just noticeable. Could some of the gaskets/hoses around the throttle bodies have dozed and be letting air in?. Any sugestions would be helpfull.

Thanks

lake_harley

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I went out and took out the battery to take a look at all the breather hoses coming off the air box and going to the valve cover but could not find any of them disconnected, it does definitively sound like its coming all from around that area but I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I feel like I have almost exhausted all my resources and thinking about taking it in to get looked at but here is a video of what it sounds like. The really bogged down sound is a quick 1/2 throttle and holding it there, the the quick small burst is just easing the throttle about 1/4 then off, then I hold it steady just about 3K and you can see the RPM jumping a bit.

Here is a video of what the bike sounds like
IMG 1018- YouTube

My '05 FZ6 was doing the same thing, but not all the time. Eventually it got even worse, with some pinging. Yesterday it died on me 3 times in a 3 mile trip and I was glad to even get back home with it. Really was sketchy even getting it to restart. So.....I'm wondering....did you ever find the problem with the bike in the video? I have six bikes in the garage and all of them are in distress one way or another!

Thanks

Lynn

EricJanko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys!
I took everything apart and could not find a source to this problem, I am in Denver right now for flight training but my roommate is taking it into the shop this week for me. (The first owner of the bike owns the shop so he's going to try his best to help me out) So when I get home next week I hope they would have found and fixed the problem and I will update all of you with what what was the problem and what they did to rectify it.

Thanks!

lake_harley

Reaction score
Visit site
My '05 FZ6 was doing the same thing, but not all the time. Eventually it got even worse, with some pinging. Yesterday it died on me 3 times in a 3 mile trip and I was glad to even get back home with it. Really was sketchy even getting it to restart. So.....I'm wondering....did you ever find the problem with the bike in the video? I have six bikes in the garage and all of them are in distress one way or another!

Thanks

Lynn

For the benefit of others, here's what was found on my FZ6 that was apparently causing the problems described above. BTW...being an analog guy in a digital world, I gave up after reading the manual and troubleshooting guide that went into problem codes, and took the bike to a Yamaha dealer, Surdyke Motorsports in Festus, MO.

Diagnostics pointed to these things showing "fault" codes; air temp sensor, fuel pressure sensor (I think), and sidestand switch. I talked with them and we agreed to not worry about the sidestand switch since it is basically an on/off circuit.

After getting the parts in (about 1 1/2 weeks since one of the sensors had to come from Japan) and installing them, the bike seemed better, they said, but still not right. They then looked for sources of what they termed "lost spark". They found one bad spark plug cap and two maybe not properly installed. That seemed to take care of the very severe stumble with quick throttle from idle. I rode it home, about 60 miles, and the bike seems fine now. I really wonder if the spark plug caps were the entire issue? Oh well, at least it runns properly again.

Since taking the bike in I have been suffering from the "I need a different bike" syndrome. I already have a interested potential buyer, but it might take him a couple weeks to come up with the money. If he isn't able to do that in a timely manner I'll probably list my bike on craigslist, etc.

Lynn

PS...I am now at 3 out of 6 bikes in the garage running properly, and 2 more getting close.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the benefit of others . . .

Diagnostics pointed to these things showing "fault" codes; air temp sensor, fuel pressure sensor (I think), and sidestand switch.

They found one bad spark plug cap and two maybe not properly installed. That seemed to take care of the very severe stumble with quick throttle from idle. I rode it home, about 60 miles, and the bike seems fine now. I really wonder if the spark plug caps were the entire issue? Oh well, at least it runs properly again.

1) For the benefit of others . . . the bike has a fail safe mode which means it won't run great but it should run on all 4 cylinders regardless. Things like the AIR Temp sensor fit in this bucket. It could be bad and in error but its not show stopping function like TPS or the Crank Trigger.

2) To my knowledge there is no fuel pressure switch so that is likely something else.

3) the weakest link on these bikes appears to the Ignition system. To date the only threads I've seen where the FI failed was from Rust in the Tank plugging up and destroying things to the injectors maybe getting plugged. Follow that up with a kinked high pressure hose.

IMO even overly rich engines from bad TPS hit on all 4 cylinders. Its the loss of ignition that cripples these things. . .
Thanks for sharing your experience Lynn.

lake_harley

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike started the same thing again, but not quite to the extent it did before, so it's back at the dealership. Today they tried a TPS to no avail. Talked to Yamaha without getting any good direction. Tried a set of plugs, maybe better, but still not right. They talked about doing a leakdown test to check for leaking valves, but don't know if they ever did. I think that is barking up the wrong tree. It seems to me that would be a constant issue and I don't think the bike would ever "clear out" to rev like it eventually does. Said the coils checked OK. After the last test ride, about 6:00 PM, they decided to keep it overnight to check plug caps for high resistance after it cooled off completely. I had been thinking ignition issues, but obviously I passed on trying to fix it myself. We'll see what happens.

FWIW...The problem doesn't start to appear until the temp "guage" shows 2 bars. It'll rev cleanly when it's first started up cold.

I'll follow up.

Lynn

Last edited:

lake_harley

Reaction score
Visit site
Evidently it's the simple things that are hard to find. Maybe like to old saying about something hiding in plain sight. Anyway plug wires/caps appear to have been the issue, at least since the first trip to the dealership. One of the dealer's techs took the bike home overnight while they still had it and I've ridden it since I've had it home and it runs great again, after 100+ miles of riding. I've been gone for a number of days, left shortly after getting the bike back, but had a chance to ride it before I left. I was quite pleased with the dealership. They only charged me for a fraction of the actual time they worked on the bike trying different things.

Lynn