Bike performance decreased after drop in parking lot

EricJanko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
I posted a thread a couple weeks back regarding engine surging and fixed that problem with new plugs, and ring free. (http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/45289-engine-surging.html)

As I was on a flight the other day my bike sank into some hot asphalt and fell over, only slight damage to the tail light as I had a saddle bag on the back seat. When I got back from my flight the rampie informed me that it fell over so I have no clue how long it might of been on it's side for.

Any ways my bike seem to be running worse after this happened and now i can notice a very throaty sound coming from the intake section at low (quick full throttle rev) rpms, almost like it might be getting too much gas, checked they plugs they look fine as well as the air filter.

It feels like there might be a misfire but not 100% sure, any ideas of maybe it being a ignition, sensor problem?

Thank you in advance for your advice

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
I posted a thread a couple weeks back regarding engine surging and fixed that problem with new plugs, and ring free. (http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/45289-engine-surging.html)

As I was on a flight the other day my bike sank into some hot asphalt and fell over, only slight damage to the tail light as I had a saddle bag on the back seat. When I got back from my flight the rampie informed me that it fell over so I have no clue how long it might of been on it's side for.

Any ways my bike seem to be running worse after this happened and now i can notice a very throaty sound coming from the intake section at low (quick full throttle rev) rpms, almost like it might be getting too much gas, checked they plugs they look fine as well as the air filter.

It feels like there might be a misfire but not 100% sure, any ideas of maybe it being a ignition, sensor problem?

Thank you in advance for your advice

Curious - how long was it up right before the starter button was hit? The reason being, on its side oil can over time flow past the rings. Because oil does NOT compress, if it was still in the cylinder head WHEN IT WAS FIRED UP, it can damage pistons, connecting rods and crankshafts.

Did it smoke for a while after being started? If it sat upright for a longer period than it laid over it may be just fine but these would be good things to know as would some more detail about how it runs and does it vibrate more?

THats what comes to mind at this hour. . .

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
May sound crazy to you, but check your clutch lever free play. Maybe even adjust it a little loose. Im assuming it fellon the kickstand side.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are there any error codes showing on the dash?

Also, just a shot in the dark, get to the battery and check the tighness of the bolts and make sure the case of the battery is ok. If you have a voltage tester, check the voltage across the terminals..

If the battery sustained an internal short from the tip over (the battery sits pretty high and a full tip over on a possibly borderline battery could have done it in).

If its not holding a full charge, the ignition, FI and everything else won't work right and run crappy.

I would also make sure to disconnect the battery for a full 15 minutes just to re-set the ECU while its out...

While the tank is still up and everything connected, crank up the bike with the voltage tester on it and see how much the voltage drops as well WHEN CRANKING.

I'm assuming the left side rotor cover, underneath, was NOT DAMAGED, crushed inwards... Please check that closely if you haven't already..

When my last battery was starting to go, voltage got as low as 8 volts cranking but still ran fine, (just the dash lights were flickering when cranking, which isn't normal for the bike)..

A cheap and fairly easy place to start.

Good luck and please post any updates...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on how long it laid on its side it might not be a bad idea to drain the oil, coolent, and fuel and start with fresh.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't much to go on. . .

"....my bike seem to be running worse after this happened and now i can notice a very throaty sound coming from the intake section at low (quick full throttle rev) rpms...."

Can you define; "running worse"? As far as a deeper tone; maybe the air filter got saturated with oil? Has it been looked at?

Depending on how long it laid on its side it might not be a bad idea to drain the oil, coolent, and fuel and start with fresh.

I think if they mix on the parking lot surface it only means it leaked. However if they mixed inside the bike (gas, oil, and coolant all mixed), well he's got bigger issues inside!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Very true but I know that if it were my bike and I had no clue how long it laid on its side I'd go ahead and change all fluids just for peace of mind if nothing else

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"....my bike seem to be running worse after this happened and now i can notice a very throaty sound coming from the intake section at low (quick full throttle rev) rpms...."

Can you define; "running worse"? As far as a deeper tone; maybe the air filter got saturated with oil? Has it been looked at?

I think if they mix on the parking lot surface it only means it leaked. However if they mixed inside the bike (gas, oil, and coolant all mixed), well he's got bigger issues inside!
Judging by what you are saying, It sounds like the air box breather hose has came off. It's on the right hand lower of the air box.
This causes a deep throaty growl and bogging down when turning the throttle. When your checking the battery it's worth checking this while the tank is off.

The FZ6 is very durable, and mine has been on it's side probably a dozen times, six times in one night during a snow storm.

There shouldn't be anything drastically wrong with it.
Nelly

EricJanko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there!

After reading all of your reply's I found out that my bike couldn't have been over for more then 5min and I started it fine at least few hours later. There was a bit of smoke but that was probably due to the ring free I ran through it last week(been smoking on start up all week).

As far as running worse it just doesn't seem to be producing the same amount of power at low rpms but at high revs its seems fine(and sounds fine), I checked the air filter and shes clean, nothing leaked out of the bike and there is no oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil nor did I find and spills in the parking lot. I have the battery on charge now as I believe it is OEM (2005)

The clutch is fine, the only place of impact was on the brake tail light, (I know weird, I would of like to seen how it was laying too!)

I am pretty stumped but I still feel like its electrical, ignition, or even possibly a vacuum problem. I will keep at it and keep you guys posted, thanks for all the help and keep em suggestions coming!)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there!

After reading all of your reply's I found out that my bike couldn't have been over for more then 5min and I started it fine at least few hours later. There was a bit of smoke but that was probably due to the ring free I ran through it last week(been smoking on start up all week).

As far as running worse it just doesn't seem to be producing the same amount of power at low rpms but at high revs its seems fine(and sounds fine), I checked the air filter and shes clean, nothing leaked out of the bike and there is no oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil nor did I find and spills in the parking lot. I have the battery on charge now as I believe it is OEM (2005)

The clutch is fine, the only place of impact was on the brake tail light, (I know weird, I would of like to seen how it was laying too!)

I am pretty stumped but I still feel like its electrical, ignition, or even possibly a vacuum problem. I will keep at it and keep you guys posted, thanks for all the help and keep em suggestions coming!)
Is it possible that the issue still remains from the initial problem you had? And that the plugs only temporally resolved the issue. Might be worth pulling the plugs and checking?

Neil

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it possible that the issue still remains from the initial problem you had? And that the plugs only temporally resolved the issue. Might be worth pulling the plugs and checking?

Neil

As in; more crap in the tank shook loose for ingestion???

Nelly, you could be 2 for 2 with the air hose being off!

EricJanko

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I went out and took out the battery to take a look at all the breather hoses coming off the air box and going to the valve cover but could not find any of them disconnected, it does definitively sound like its coming all from around that area but I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I feel like I have almost exhausted all my resources and thinking about taking it in to get looked at but here is a video of what it sounds like. The really bogged down sound is a quick 1/2 throttle and holding it there, the the quick small burst is just easing the throttle about 1/4 then off, then I hold it steady just about 3K and you can see the RPM jumping a bit.

Here is a video of what the bike sounds like
IMG 1018- YouTube

Thanks

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I went out and took out the battery to take a look at all the breather hoses coming off the air box and going to the valve cover but could not find any of them disconnected, it does definitively sound like its coming all from around that area but I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I feel like I have almost exhausted all my resources and thinking about taking it in to get looked at but here is a video of what it sounds like. The really bogged down sound is a quick 1/2 throttle and holding it there, the the quick small burst is just easing the throttle about 1/4 then off, then I hold it steady just about 3K and you can see the RPM jumping a bit.

IMG 1018- YouTube

Thanks

WOW! <Well that wasn't the first word I picked but damnnnnnn, that'd be messed up! That's called fuel starvation! oR it's simply not burning it. You have anything else you can run that same gas through? Something with high compression?
What comes to mind:
* gas won't burn
* gas is not being ignited
* spray pattern is so bad the combustion chamber is getting raw gas not Fuel/Air Vapor
* Engine is being starved of fuel - Meaning the Fuel SUPPLY is not there! ** MOST LIKELY **

If it were mine (and based upon the rust issue) I'd pull the injectors and clean them/have them cleaned/back flow with air etc

Does it ever Pop back into the intake rather fiercely? If so its another indication that its lean and starving for fuel. The original problem. It think the increased sound you hear is it starving for fuel. Why do I think think this?
Cuz the engine is not accelerating! It has fuel issues. I bet if you listen close enough you hear it ping and detonate too. Like when you first take off at low RPMs.

Pull the fuel rail and injectors before the engine is sacrificed!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
What comes to mind:
* gas won't burn
* gas is not being ignited
* spray pattern is so bad the combustion chamber is getting raw gas not Fuel/Air Vapor
* Engine is being starved of fuel - Meaning the Fuel SUPPLY is not there! ** MOST LIKELY **

Going another direction, it sounds like the intake is full open when it doesn't need to be. I'm not sure how the engine controls the air flow, but is it possible there is an abundance of fuel, causing the butterflies to open full? Either way, it sounds fuel related.

Also, sorry if I missed it but, definitely check/clean/replace plugs.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My outboard motor did (sounds like) something close to this.

Turns out it was the filter screen (clogged), on the high pressure fuel pump...also a Yamaha....

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
is the airbox clean? it's possible some oil spilled out into it and is clogging up the filter

i guess the 3 main things to check are
1) air
2) fuel
3) spark

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

IMG 1018- YouTube

Thanks
The air box breather hose is actually fairly difficult to see. I will post a picture for you.
Nelly

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Going another direction, it sounds like the intake is full open when it doesn't need to be. I'm not sure how the engine controls the air flow, but is it possible there is an abundance of fuel, causing the butterflies to open full? Either way, it sounds fuel related.

Also, sorry if I missed it but, definitely check/clean/replace plugs.

Say what? your wrist controls the position of the throttle plates. The ecm attempts to match the fuel demand based upon what your wrist did. In his case, it sounds as if there is no fuel. Now if it had CATs and they were glowing RED, then i'd say its getting fuel but is NOT burning it. That does not appear to be the case and NO ONE has mentioned clouds of BLACK smoke indicating an over rich condition. It sounds like that as its fuel starved!

These are the butterflies and they rotate open.
picture.php

The tube on the far right is the crankcase breather. The other two supply idle air.
picture.php

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok My bad the breather is on the front right hand side just behind the frame. [As seen perfectly in the above picture]. Sorry for the misinformation, I took a video with it off and then on,
See what you think?
Very shaky hand with the old mobile, sorry.
FZ6 Air box BREATHER OFF N ON.3gp - YouTube

Good luck
Nelly

Last edited: