Bike Not as "Snappy" After Chain Adjustment

YZ125

Reaction score
Visit site
I adjusted my chain yesterday since purchasing it from the previous owner. The chain slack was able to hit the bottom of the rubber swing arm chain guide, so I didn't bother to measure the slack. I adjusted it using the tick marks near the aluminum chain adjuster block. I then measured and it was in spec and no longer hitting the rubber guide.

I took the bike for a ride and to my surprise, the bike seemed noticeably slower. It felt like the bike was being "dragged" and was trying to break free. The "snappy" feeling that made the bike throw me back once I really got on it was not the same.

Could a simple chain adjustment be the cause of this? Does it sound like I made a mistake with the adjustment?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Overtightened chain can greatly affect the ride. It can put a lot of stress on the engine and lock out the suspension (to a point).

Before you adjust it, be sure to check that chain at approximately every 6 links to find the tightest spot. Once you find it, that is the spot you want to use to make the adjustment.

It's entirely possible that the loosest part of the chain may hit the plastic guard (with bike on center stand) and still be within spec.

Better to have it on the loose side than on the tight side.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
My chain is usually adjusted so that it can just touch the bottom of the swingarm, when I sit on the bike it tightens up slightly.

I can tell if mine is too tight as the bike makes a whining noise, especially when passing something that reflects the sound back like brick walls (also move your legs apart so you can hear it better)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was it on the center stand? The spec called out only applies if the rear wheel if free hanging using the stock shock with 300mm eye to eye free length.

By using shorter (lowered bikes) or longer shocks the owner will have to compensate their adjustment compared to OEM spec.

But the bottom line is yes, it will bind it up as mentioned above!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, what Eric and the others said. A tight chain is a drag. And, if you adjusted it on the center stand, it will get tighter when you load it (sit on it). Even a little more when additional load is applied (compressed for cornering).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would add that's its best to clean and lube it before hand.

As noted above, the adjustment will just touch the bottom of the swing arm when on the CC. Once on the ground, it won't hit..

2" total up and down at the taughest point (I measure at one pin)...

Sounds like its too tight as noted above..

Last edited:

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
The manual called for the measuremnet to be done using the centerstand and the criteria is 45~55mm. Make sure you adjust according to the manual.

When measuring, I use a rule pressed on the swing arm and then push/pull the chain vertically as far as I can and see the displacement of the same point on the chain.

Measuring point is approximately under the rubber lining under the swing arm which is most relaxed point in the chain. The chain will touch the lining also in my case to meet the criteria.

BTW, clean before adjustment if your chain had not been cleaned for a long time.

Good luck.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
No more here. I learned long ago that it doesn't take much to tighten too much and suddenly, you just made things worse. Just even a 1/2 turn too much on adjustment bolts can be too much.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had to adjust the original chain (never maintained by the originnal owner in 4,500 miles), replaced at 12,000 miles but adjusted it ONCE.

The replacement chain, (DID X, always cleaned and lubed), at 18,000 miles currently, I might have re-adjusted the chain ONCE.

If maintained
, I've found, at least on this bike, with this chain, the chain does NOT stretch much, if at all, and very rarly needs adjustment.

A cheaper Chinese, knock off chain, perhaps not the same results..