Chain Slack

catzo

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you that check the slack in your chain, do you notice that these bikes have alot of slack?

My reason for asking is when I was getting the bike safetied the mechanic who is a friend pointed out the chain seems really loose, but that he didnt know for sure because he doesnt know the specs for my bike. He also doesnt work on bikes often. He advised me to check it. It did look really loose.

So today I cleaned my chain with kerosene and measured the slack and its dead on for what the manual recommends. Yamaha recommends between 1.77-2.17" and every single measurement I took all along the chain fit inside that range.

So I guess what I'm asking, do you guys notice that our chains are fairly loose? Is that just normal for our bikes? Or am I taking the measurements wrong? Thoughts?

sheltiedave

Reaction score
Visit site
My chain is set between 45-55mm , or 1.77-2.17" , as Yamaha recommends and it doesn't look too slack once the bike is sitting on the ground . The bike went through it's yearly test a couple of days ago with no mention of the chain , but the chain was brand new if it makes any difference . The chain on my DRZ , that looks very slack but it's set to the specs.

Look up a tool called " Chain Monkey " for setting the chain slack .

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
So I guess what I'm asking, do you guys notice that our chains are fairly loose? Is that just normal for our bikes? Or am I taking the measurements wrong? Thoughts?

These bikes like to run with the chain fairly loose, I set mine at 2", find the tightest section and check it right under the bolt where the rubber chain guide it held down on the swingarm. I wreaked a sprocket and chain running it too tight, since, I've set it at 2" when the bike is on the ground (sometimes with my dad sitting on it), lubed liberally with a petroleum based lube with moly in it (I was using a wax based lube before), and clean it less often and my chain seems happier and quieter than ever.

When my old chain was on the way out I developed tight and loose sections, the loose sections had more than 3" of play and the tight sections had less than an inch, it was making a nice noise and I was scared I ruined my countershaft bearing, ended up finding the chain in that horrible state and a rear sprocket with awful shark toothing after just 10,000 km or so

catzo

Reaction score
Visit site
These bikes like to run with the chain fairly loose, I set mine at 2", find the tightest section and check it right under the bolt where the rubber chain guide it held down on the swingarm. I wreaked a sprocket and chain running it too tight, since, I've set it at 2" when the bike is on the ground (sometimes with my dad sitting on it), lubed liberally with a petroleum based lube with moly in it (I was using a wax based lube before), and clean it less often and my chain seems happier and quieter than ever.

When my old chain was on the way out I developed tight and loose sections, the loose sections had more than 3" of play and the tight sections had less than an inch, it was making a nice noise and I was scared I ruined my countershaft bearing, ended up finding the chain in that horrible state and a rear sprocket with awful shark toothing after just 10,000 km or so

Good to know. I'm glad you said your chain developed tight and loose sections when it was on its way out, because my chain was pretty consistently at 2-2.1" all around. This was on the centerstand.

My sprocket does seem a little worn though, I'm glad you mentioned it. Definitely looks a little like a sharktooth. How worn is too worn?

Btw I will check out that Chain Monkey, thanks

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely looks a little like a sharktooth. How worn is too worn?

Kinda hard to say without seeing it, probably also worth mentioning that the sprockets (front and back) and chain should be changed as a set, they wear together and introducing a new piece throws that all off. That contributed to my old chain dying as well, I changed it and put it on the same old sprockets as they looked like they were in good condition then ran it too tight.

How many miles on your bike (or on this chain and sprocket set if they've been changed once already)?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I gotta say that is not how its meant to be checked (A person sitting on it). If set to 2" of slack WHILE A PERSON is ON the BIKE, that is TOO MUCH SLACK!
In that case - the quality of lube and interval of care likely took the chains life. If your chain is bare of all obvious lubricants, it may not live out its entire life!

Per the OEM hand book and FSM the slack is checked while the wheel/tire is hanging NOT touching the ground!!!

That said I have yet to find a product that will last 500 miles. As best I've tried I HAVE NOT found a synthetic product that lasts 300 miles let alone 500 miles!!! 2" of slack while hanging free is NORMAL and the bike is happy. Lube often and don't let it go dry. Bad chains show inconsistent heights as product of neglect. Take care of them....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+100% ^^^^ above. NO ONE ON-BOARD

2" total up and down (after cleaning and lubing) at its tightest point.

This is while on the center stand. I set my ruler at the rear of the plastic chain guard as well....

If no center stand, check on the side stand, preferably with all load off the rear shock.

PM me if you need an OWNERS MANUAL with an e-mail address.
It's clearly shown how to check /adjust it...

Re wear on the sprockets, if you can see it's worn-REPLACE IT (preferably everything as a set).
There have been cases of chains thrown thru the engine case destroying the engine.

Is it worth it??

Last edited:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I should clarify I set it to a touch more than 2", then have someone sit on it to make sure its not tightened up too much, I ride with heavy loads sometimes with touring equipment so I go a little more than people who just ride with themselves on the bike...

too tight (and probably a combination of poor chain quaity and wax instead of lube) is what killed my last chain, and this one looks and feels brand new still with ~10,000 km on it so far with me following what I described above

catzo

Reaction score
Visit site
Re wear on the sprockets, if you can see it's worn-REPLACE IT (preferably everything as a set).
There have been cases of chains thrown thru the engine case destroying the engine.

Is it worth it??

Damn I was hoping you wouldnt say that. I just ordered a set of new tires, wish I had read this before I placed the order so I couldve added sprockets and a chain to that.

I think when I bring the bike to the shop to get the new tires put on I'll have them put new sprockets and a chain on....hopefully...only if theyve got the right sizes lying around and they don't charge me an arm and a leg for parts...which, knowing how motorcycle shops operate, seems unlikely. If not, it'll have to wait a few months.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn I was hoping you wouldnt say that. I just ordered a set of new tires, wish I had read this before I placed the order so I couldve added sprockets and a chain to that.

I think when I bring the bike to the shop to get the new tires put on I'll have them put new sprockets and a chain on....hopefully...only if theyve got the right sizes lying around and they don't charge me an arm and a leg for parts...which, knowing how motorcycle shops operate, seems unlikely. If not, it'll have to wait a few months.

Anyone looking to add some teeth, consider this....
Much lighter than OEM 46 tooth...

"Sunstar 2-547448 48-Teeth"
DSC_8274_zpsqwmmzrbl.jpg

Sunstar46-48_zpsyyoqtgbl.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Look around on-line.

Stock sprockets are steel and will last longer. I like DID (OEM) chains and would keep away from a brand "X" chain. (you get what you pay for)..

OEM or equivalent, if taken care of, can last 20,000+ miles.

***I would bring your owners manual so your mechanic DOESN'T TIGHTEN it too much. It will stretch initially but should
be set correctly. Its been posted here MANY TIMES, of a bike coming out of the shop with the chain TOO TIGHT.
The FZ chain does fit looser than most bikes, just MAKE SURE its set correctly INITIALLY.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: chains at 25,XXX miles and I see no reason it wont make it to 35 or 40.... Proper maintenance helps....

Reaction score
Visit site
OEM or equivalent, if taken care of, can last 20,000+ miles.

Agreed. Mine had an OEM replacement set which the original owner had put a few thousand miles on, I added about 15,000 more and it would have been good for some beyond that if the bike had survived. Keep it clean and reapply chain lube every few hundred miles (maybe a little more if you ride in very wet conditions, couldn't hurt), keep an eye on the tension which shouldn't shift around too much when it's broken in and it'll be good to go.

catzo

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys!

Will definitely be replacing the sprockets and chain soon.

Btw I'd love to hear from anyone else that went down teeth on the front sprocket and up at the back. I'm considering it

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Currently 16/48 but 15/48 would be even better for canyons and curves...Still on the oem front sprocket and chain.

No real impact to fuel economy but 15/48 you'll be wanting a speedo heeler.

Bike pulls great and its been up against some high HP cars and holds its own... See sig for details.

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine had been run for 42,000km with the original one and sprocket still looks good now, expecting to run another 20,000km.
I never let the bike shop to adjust the chain slack for me even in the tyre replacement, they always thought Yamaha slack is too large.
I adjust my chain to the spec. 45~55mm directly under the swingarm rubber guide with a steel rule and with the centerstand on.
I use motor oil to lub the chain as manual suggests, though cheap and convenient, but I found it will dry easily after heavy rain and I have to take more care of it after riding in the rain.

Suggest to use Yamaha part which I feel will provide longer life.