Big thumbs up from a Harley rider today!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
While filling up at my local gas station today, my FZ6 drew some attention from a gruff looking Harley rider.

I came out of the station after paying and watched as the Harley guy was looking my bike over from top to bottom. He commented how cool it was that you could actually see the engine, pipes and frame instead of just plastic like a fully faired Sportbike.

He liked the under-tail exhaust and commented how he hates burning his leg on his bike if he's not careful. We chatted for several minutes about motorcycles and I found him to be a very interesting character. He didn't seem like the typical Harley guy, and I found him to be a very genuine person.

I let him sit on my bike and he immediately commented that it's far more comfortable than he imagined it would be. The reach to the handlebars was perfect, and he does not have to hunker down over the tank like a typical sportbike. He asked if the center stand was something I added on, and he was surprised when I told him it was a standard piece of equipment right from the factory.

I looked over his 1994 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 and admitted to him that I don't know anything at all about Harley's. He showed me his odometer which read 105,000 miles. His bike seemed very well kept and it didn't leak a single drop of oil (contrary to popular belief).

We shook hands and left as friends after inspecting each-others bikes. He told me that if he didn't have such an attachment to his Sportster 1200, he would highly consider getting an FZ6:rockon:

Messy

Reaction score
Visit site
I work with a couple of Harley guys and I gotta say theyre not the typical HD lovers either. Just into having a good time. Thats a really good story.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Great story. I've ridden with a few HD riders who were really down to earth guys and gals. Good people who just love to ride.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's cool to get to know other riders no matter what they ride. A bunch of my friends all have Harleys and we go riding all the time. I can always whip there ***. We all go dirt biking alot. My work started a forum for the 20 or so people at work who ride. Mostly Harleys. I think we all have been stereo typing them to some extent. We have had good and bad moments with other riders. I wouldn't mind one but only if I came into a ton of $$$$$$. The Harleys cost is the price of both of my motorcycles combined :thumbup:

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this story reminded me of two dogs meeting in a park...sniffing each other's areas...then parting ways

lol

not in a bad way or anything :)

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny how when you stereotype you miss out on so many great encounters like this. unfortunately, the steretype does not come from nowhere - i have met many a harley rider who was rude, gruff, or inconsiderate to me based on my bike (or my gender, but thats another story). ont he other hand, one of the nicest encounters i had was on a ride last summer during bike week, where we met a nice couple at a gas station who checked out our two bikes from the comfort of their giant harley. got to talking, shared some good roads witht hem,a s they were not local, and went our separate ways. there are always exceptions, and hopefully one day the exceptions will outnumber the stereotype.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
He liked the FZ6....but wouldn't give up a 1200 sportster.....wait until he sees the FZ1 he may just mess his pants!

Good story!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
It's funny how when you stereotype you miss out on so many great encounters like this. unfortunately, the steretype does not come from nowhere - i have met many a harley rider who was rude, gruff, or inconsiderate to me based on my bike (or my gender, but thats another story). ont he other hand, one of the nicest encounters i had was on a ride last summer during bike week, where we met a nice couple at a gas station who checked out our two bikes from the comfort of their giant harley. got to talking, shared some good roads witht hem,a s they were not local, and went our separate ways. there are always exceptions, and hopefully one day the exceptions will outnumber the stereotype.

you know... it's funny to me. i know the stereotype is there. and i do believe that stereotypes come about because enough people have had the same experience and share their stories. believe it or not, but there is a certain laugh/story telling style that screams NAVY to me. my dad was in the navy, and every other guy i've met that's been in for a number of years has that laugh and story telling style.

but i find it interesting.... every harley rider i know is a great guy. they love bikes. they clearly love their harley's, but they love bikes. i took my BRC at a harley dealership 3 years ago. it was taught by two guys who ride harleys. the one shared how he started off riding a cb350 and loved that bike. they both shared that they believe bikes are bikes. and we had people in there that liked harleys and some that liked aprilias. there was a big sales pitch, but there was no - "harleys are the best bikes around and you're a loser if you ride anything other than a harley."

almost everyone who has shared on here has shared how they've met really nice harley riders that just seem to be riders. from my experience, the exception seems to be the norm.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
almost everyone who has shared on here has shared how they've met really nice harley riders that just seem to be riders. from my experience, the exception seems to be the norm.

maybe it is just where i live,t hen. around here, people who ride cruisers other than harleys tend to be more receptive to sportbikes and those who ride them. folks on HD tend to be more of the "I am better than you, don't talk to me" crowd. this is evident at our bike nights, at gas stations, on rides....HDs get referred to as "real biks" as in "Why dont you get off that crotch-rocket and get a real bike". it's kinda sad really, especially where if we were to meet in the winter (no bikes involved) we would probably all get along fine.

not to say there isn't a trend toward the same mentality from sportbikers around here. there certainly is. the stereotype that we are given is just as bad, and equally prevalent, and also equally grounded in truth. i tend to surround myself with the exceptions to that stereotype, so i dont see it as much, but when you are passed on both sides by a group of 8 "gixxahs" going 90+ on the highway in the middle of the night on their real wheels, cutting you off and surrounding you as though they are a gang getting ready to beat you down, that stereotype becomes very apparent.