BEWARE MICHELIN 2CTs!

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, where were your 2CT tires made? Both of mine have "MADE IN SPAIN" printed on the left side of each sidewall. Apparently the recalled ones were made in France.

All this time I was under the impression that Michelins were made in the USA...geez.

Not sure. I can check when I get home.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
My tires are 5/10 Thailand

I need to check mine now. I didn't realize some of these were made in Thailand....WTH. Sorry to any members on here from Thailand (if there are any) but I would prefer my tires to not be be made there for how much I paid. There was never any question of where my Metzlers were made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Well PR3's are officially off. I now have BT016 Pro's. Now i just need to sell these PR3's so its not a total waste. They both have a date stamp of 3911 so hopefully they are new enough to not have the issues these others did......

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It'd be interesting to see if we can track down the tyres that have failed to see if there is a common denominator (other than the brand)

If all of the tyres that have failed were made in one particular country, then it may well be the manufacturing process of that country, and not the tyre, tyre technology or Michelin itself.

Food for thought.

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It'd be interesting to see if we can track down the tyres that have failed to see if there is a common denominator (other than the brand)

If all of the tyres that have failed were made in one particular country, then it may well be the manufacturing process of that country, and not the tyre, tyre technology or Michelin itself.

Food for thought.

Cheers,
Rick
a very fair call

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK.. I'm thinking it's time to really spread the word (since this is the 2nd set of PR3s I see this happen to and Michelin reps are being total a-holes about it..). I propose we all post up pictures and short explanation on Facebook and ask others to re-post. BEFORE we do this though, I want to make sure Speed_Racer is OK with this idea and anyone please chime in if you think it's not a good idea.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I am seriously shocked that a tire company as reputable as Michelin has the same model of tire manufactured in multiple countries!

How can there be any sort of uniform quality control when the same tire is being produced in Spain, France, Thailand and possibly more? I would not be surprised if they are also made in China.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I am seriously shocked that a tire company as reputable as Michelin has the same model of tire manufactured in multiple countries!

How can there be any sort of uniform quality control when the same tire is being produced in Spain, France, Thailand and possibly more? I would not be surprised if they are also made in China.

Why would it make any difference where they were made if the raw material and mfg. process is the same in each country?

I am watching this thread with interest as I have used Michelin tires (road and road2) for many years and well over 80,000 miles on my FJR , FZ6 and FZ1 without a lick of trouble.

However IF there is a problem with the PR3's sue the pants of Michelin.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by mave2911

Food for thought.

Cheers,
Rick

a very fair call
I agree,
There are lots of products made under license all over the world. IMO It isn't valid to suggest that this is the causative factor without substantiating it?

Nelly

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably an auto link - I get them all the time. (air filter for example)

Just something on the webpage adding links.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are lots of products made under license all over the world. IMO It isn't valid to suggest that this is the causative factor without substantiating it?

Nelly

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, Nelly, but just in case - would you consider it valid to suggest the TYRES are either poorly designed or poorly executed without eliminating other factors?

For example, if all of the failed tyres have been made in one place, or one general area, than you'd be right in questioning the manufacture process in that country/area.

There have been a few reports of the tyres failing catastrophically - but many, many more reports on the tyres blistering on a hot day, when ridden aggressively.

Methinks one leads to another - the tyre blisters, then the blister pops and the tyre delaminates.

Now, this is just my opinion of likely cause, and I might be a long way off - but it seems more reasonable to be looking at the variables (country/method of manufacture/area centric raw materials) rather than just the tyre itself.

I still wont put them on my bike until this is resolved - I don't trust my assumptions enough to risk my life on a known potential failure, but I'm thinking purely on a scale perspective, there have been many thousands of these sold, and only 3 catastrophic failures that I've heard of, plus a dozen or more in which the tyre has blistered and been taken off, possibly prior to catastrophic failure.

If possibly, it is a Asian country, just for the purposes of example, it gives good reason why Michelin might be tight-lipped, not wanting to ruin a potentially lucrative business relationship with a country or area, and just put it down to isolated incidents more easily explained by user error.

Cheers,
Rick

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
Ultimatly, what we need is the date code and country of mfgr to isolate the problem....
Without that data, isolating the issue is just a crap shoot..

This is still not going to stop me from putting on a set of RP3's on my FZ this weekend..

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Im not an engineer or anything but maybe its a flaw in the design. Maybe it has too many deep cuts in the tread and the aggressive lean angles of motorcycling mixed with heat cause these various cut in the tread to tear slightly over time at the base until a small chunk rips off and then the rest goes. Kind of like a perforated piece of paper. So many contacts makes tearing easy :confused:

Who knows

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been in the automotive business for 15 years when a company sells a million tires a year and has a 1% failure rate that's pretty good. It would be ten thousand tires that fail they would rather see it go to court before settling. It's like free press look what happened to firestone 0ver ten years ago and they are still in business and doing just fine.