BEWARE MICHELIN 2CTs!

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I am posting this to forewarn and in hopes of gathering any additional info for my court case....

Here's the deal: I purchased a 2005 FZ6 last summer. I did some reading and decided to put Michelin Pilot Road3 2CT tires on it since everyone seemed to loved the Road2 and this was the "new and improved" version. I loved how much more responsive they were than the old tires but after only 2700 miles I had a serious incident occur. While cruising down I-75 at about 75-85mph on a warm afternoon, my back tire started to feel some kind of strange. Before I had time to respond, it exploded into shreds of melted rubber raining back on the cars behind me. I managed to dodge all the high speed traffic around me and barely get to the shoulder of the road in one piece. Don't ask how I didn't wreck and die I can't explain that part other than a miracle. I am now going to court against Michelin because they basically gave me the finger when I told them what happened and said it must be my fault. Surely their new tire is as perfect as they think, and I am just some kind of idiot who neglected my tires, right? WRONG! I was on nice smooth blacktop, I checked my tired pressure before I left, I hit no debris, and there are no signs of cuts or punctures in my tires. All I asked Michelin for was compensation for damage to my bike and replacement tires of my choice. I didn't want to sue them, I don't have time for this crap. But they would rather not admit fault, so we are going to court next month.

I need ANY other incidences or info or pictures or links or whatever that might help prove they have a tire problem. I just don't want someone else to die from them ignoring a serious issue like this. If this helps save a single life it will be worth all the paperwork and headaches of court, attorneys, etc. so please any info is greatly appreciated!

In case it isn't already clear, I wanted everyone to know how Michelin isn't standing behind their product and that these tires are clearly dangerous. And I will upload pictures as soon as I figure out how... I'm a noob @_@

Last edited:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that is rediculous. Was it the Pilot Power 2CTs that had a previous issue with coming apart like this? I think they had a massive recall on one of their tires at some point for an issue like this. Makes me glad I chose the Angel ST tires for my bike instead of the PR3s. Good luck on the court case.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
As messed up that it is with Michelin telling you to piss off, I wouldn't automatically label the entire line of tires as "clearly dangerous".
There's either a defect in the product as a whole that needs to be addressed or you just got a lemon. Michelin should have, at the very least, asked for the tire to inspect it and find any defaults.

On an unrelated note- where are your motorcycle's mirrors?

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the previous Recall information...

Michelin Pilot Power Motorcycle Tire Recall

And here is how one looked that came apart. The way the rubber came apart looks mighty familiar to how yours came apart.

16226-michelin-recalls-68-000-pilot-power-2cts-tyer.jpg

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
They have had a couple issues with tires in the past I have heard of but I'm trying to find specific info on these new tires. They got lots of money for attorneys to try and shut me down so I'll need all the help I can get. I ended up switching to the Angel STs- as soon as I saw the ridiculous test they put them through I was sold (Pirelli Set 24 Hour Endurance Record Using The New Angel ST Tyre | bikerholic.com) They are AMAZING:D

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
I sent them the tire. They sent it back and told me I must have been riding with super low pressure causing them to overheat and melt... bull****. You're right maybe they are not all 'clearly dangerous' but I got a crappy one and it scares me to think they are blowing me off and someone could die (or already has) because they won't even consider it their fault and look into it. Thanks randomchaos I've been scouring the web and seen that already and still looking for more. I'm taking that to court with me just in case it could be useful.

And my mirrors are conveniently hiding out of sight from the front view. I didn't like the bunny ears so I made my own modifications since I couldn't find the mirror eliminators for an fz6. I can take a pic if you wish to see what I'm talking about. It was pretty simple/cheap fix.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a strong feeling that your tires are part of the same batch that we've seen here before.. with really bad crash as a result. There are loads of people out there who use PR3s and love them. I'm on 2nd set of PR2 and I have to admit.. Michelin's attitude is making me consider another manufacturer when the time comes to replace my current setup.
Good luck with your case!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW reading through everything now and this is a very scary thought. I just put new pr3's on my sv1000s last week....... Debating whether i should scrap them and get some new ones. I have a long ride planned sat too.....

Opinions? They have less then 400 miles on them

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember last year a member called Amorousnerdium had a similar problem, they exchanged the rear tire and some days after that, his front one exploded and he crashed.

you may want to contact him and fight together, I think he is already doing it.
Have you contacted DOT? May be getting to them through the government pushes them to take action.

Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - View Profile: Amorousnerdium

I hope you can have them to fix this, I don't know if I would be able to control my bike with no tire at 75mph.

After seen this 2 people here having this problem, contacting Michelin and they don't do anything, one thing is sure, I won't buy any Michelin product until they accept their fault, do a recall and take care of the people who already had a bad experience with their rubber.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
yea that blows! my buddy has them on his VFR and we are goin from Georgia to the moto gp race in Indianapolis in august, so we will definitely have to keep a good sharp eye on them!

I really wan to see how the court case plays out, KEEP US UPDATED!

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a strong feeling that your tires are part of the same batch that we've seen here before.. with really bad crash as a result. There are loads of people out there who use PR3s and love them. I'm on 2nd set of PR2 and I have to admit.. Michelin's attitude is making me consider another manufacturer when the time comes to replace my current setup.
Good luck with your case!

Yea I was sorely surprised by the way they have treated me. I was only asking for about $500 worth of work to replace the tires and fender that the tire beat to death. They ran me around so much and bull**** me enough I realized it was hopeless and reluctantly went and filed a lawsuit. My whole family has always used Michelin for every car, truck, bike, etc. and now we are all going to switch to some other manufacturer. So for a measly 500 bucks they won't pay they are losing thousands at least from us... big family- lots of vehicles. I hope others drop them too maybe they will take notice and start giving a crap about their customers. :/

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW reading through everything now and this is a very scary thought. I just put new pr3's on my sv1000s last week....... Debating whether i should scrap them and get some new ones. I have a long ride planned sat too.....

Opinions? They have less then 400 miles on them

What's worth more? the $400ish for new tires or your life if they happen to explode and you aren't as fortunate as myself and able to stop? Just my 2cents

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
yea that blows! my buddy has them on his VFR and we are goin from Georgia to the moto gp race in Indianapolis in august, so we will definitely have to keep a good sharp eye on them!

I really wan to see how the court case plays out, KEEP US UPDATED!

Def watch his back closely! A guy in traffic stopped to help and said he had flecks of rubber hitting his car from my tire right before it blew to pieces. And I will def let you guys know about the outcome. Who knows maybe I can make enough ruckus to get a recall or have this show up in the news:D haha.... Court is halfway into April I'll update after it happens.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow..that is scary dude. Thank god you were able to maintain control of the bike when you lost the rear. I really cant believe that Michelin wouldn't help you out in this case..really messed up.

Good luck in the lawsuit and keep riding safe.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you have the guy who stopped phone number. He would make a great witness. Remember, be careful about how much you post on this forum about it all, and good luck with the case. Thanks for the warning :)

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow..that is scary dude. Thank god you were able to maintain control of the bike when you lost the rear. I really cant believe that Michelin wouldn't help you out in this case..really messed up.

Good luck in the lawsuit and keep riding safe.

Yea it was in my top scariest OH GOD I'M GOING TO DIE NOW moments. Fortunately I rode dirtbikes for 5 years before I ever tried street. And I drove through the woods like I stole that sucker and the law was hot on my trail. So I think that exp may have come in handy :D
I can't believe it either that's why I'm spreading the word. My guess is they will want to settle with a gag order... I will not settle this until I either get them to do something about the tire or prove it was my fault and I lose...