BEWARE MICHELIN 2CTs!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Will be watching this thread. Have been thru 2 PR2's with very good mileage and no complaints. Currently have a PR3 with several thousand miles on it with no problems. Coming up on time to replace front. Love the way they stick in the rain.

Certainly curious about the statement and the tires. I have not had the PR3 out above 85 degrees but rode by PR2's to Florida and back in mid July the last two years. Had them out on 95 degree days. This is not a generic issue with PR3's or it would have been widely reported. This is the second posting about the PR3's I have seen.

Happened last summer and we are just now hearing about it?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I thought the one case last year was pretty flukey.. now this. Seems like some manufacturing problem and not just a random case anymore.

Been running the PR2's for 10,700 miles. These tires are amazing. They handle everything I ask them to and could do more. I do a fair amount of twisty roads and ride when temps are well into the 90's. They are not even getting squared off with that kind of mileage. I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about PR2's They honestly look like I will get a full season out them.. 16k miles?

With regard to your lawsuit, OP, I really hope you are successful in winning a case against the behemoth Michelin. Not only will it put some $ back in your pocket it could cause these corporate toolbags to take notice and actually do something pro-active.

Good luck!!

Qwibby

Scarlet
Reaction score
Visit site
I was really fumbling with the idea of replacing the 6 year old stockers on mine with these, but then read this and got scared. I am a farely new rider, well no farely about it, I am very new. I want to reduce any risk possible, so I am looking into the Pirelli Angels

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
So if i were to change tires again this weekend..... What is considered a safe tire these days LOL. The pirelli diablos? The BT020? This is ridiculous!!!

Check out the Pirelli Angel STs... they beat 7 world records for endurance in one test drive of 24hrs for about 31xx miles... simply amazing tires and they hug the ground like they are glued down.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I realize Motorcycle tires are different than car tires but Ford is working with another manufacturer to make their tires so they don't have to deal with Michelin any more... Could be coincidence or Michelin could be headed for a very rocky road in the near future....

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
You said you sent your tire in to Michelin already? Are you sure you got the same one back? Would have been pretty easy for them to keep yours and give you one back that was blown due to improper tire pressure.

The damage is so unique I don't know how they could copy it and send a diff set w.o me noticing. It still matches the pics I took before sending it perfectly, so I'm pretty comfortable Michelin wouldn't do something that dirty.

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I thought the one case last year was pretty flukey.. now this. Seems like some manufacturing problem and not just a random case anymore.

Been running the PR2's for 10,700 miles. These tires are amazing. They handle everything I ask them to and could do more. I do a fair amount of twisty roads and ride when temps are well into the 90's. They are not even getting squared off with that kind of mileage. I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about PR2's They honestly look like I will get a full season out them.. 16k miles?

With regard to your lawsuit, OP, I really hope you are successful in winning a case against the behemoth Michelin. Not only will it put some $ back in your pocket it could cause these corporate toolbags to take notice and actually do something pro-active.

Good luck!!

Yea I was really disappointed in what happened to the tires, I put a good deal of time researching before purchasing and had high expectations in them. And then the double whammy of Michelin basically blowing me off. My only objective is to get them to take notice and do something and if that requires lawsuits and posting all over forums I will in hopes of someone else not having the same problem and dying because of it. BTW feel free to link this post on every other forum that any of you guys frequent- the more informed people the better!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was really fumbling with the idea of replacing the 6 year old stockers on mine with these, but then read this and got scared. I am a farely new rider, well no farely about it, I am very new. I want to reduce any risk possible, so I am looking into the Pirelli Angels

If you've got the original BT-020s on the bike you are way past on the safety of the rubber. Yes get new ones! They replace for the BT-020 is now the BT023

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I did not agree that this thread was closed. I don't think we have ever heard from this member since. He wasn't a new member like yourself, he actually had quite of few posts. Not saying that your story is credible or not, but ironically similar.

As discussed, if you are going to take legal issues, becareful what you say on a public forum!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html#post410571

Speed_Racer

Reaction score
Visit site
Happened last summer and we are just now hearing about it?

Happened last fall. I thought Michelin would correct the problem and it took a couple months of talking back and forth for me to realize they didn't give a crap. And I meant to post sooner but I was not a member and I have been so busy I just didn't have the time to get pics, join the forum, and post til recently. So sorry to all those who just read this and are already running the PR3s or having them installed now. I hope no one else has to deal with this terrible experience.:(

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been debating which tyres to get when it comes time to replace the existing rubber on my bike.

It was down to either Michelin PR2 or PR3, or Metzler Z8 (thanks Humpy!)

No choice any more - sure there have been thousands upon thousands of the Pilot Road series tyres sold, but at least two incidences are enough to make me think it's not isolated (and how many more have we NOT heard about?)

If I had to guess, I'd surmise they're having trouble with how the second compound is bonding to the ply, as no doubt the different compounds have different melting points. (it just appears to have separated)

When I heard about the whole *NEW* dual compound concept, hard in the middle, soft on the outside - the best of both worlds, I actually did think about the 'joining' of these two different compounds, but thought by some miracle, they'd have worked out a solution (instead of essentially created possibly another fault line, or area of weakness)

Maybe that's why, after 125 years of pneumatic tyres, not everyone is doing it - maybe they tried and decided it wouldn't work, but the Frenchies persisted?

Purely the, even incredibly slight, possibility of delamination makes me think Michelin are no longer on my radar for tyres.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah now thinking the same as Rick, thanks Dan and Karen for the +ve comments on the Z8's...they are prob going on mine in june.
Pity 'bout the PR3's rep going south, but there is something fishy with that de-lam and the bumps if underinflated.... And the lack of support from a manufacturer can only be damaging to the brand. This is not the only forum that has referenced the problem. Thanks all for thoughts, opinions and sharing experiences

Sent from the phone: sorry 'bout my spileng, fat fingers...you know!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, this sucks.

Imagine if this had happened on a passenger car or School bus tire and caused a serious crash...it would probably make the national news.

I'm not feeling good about having Pilot Power 2CT's on my bike, even though it seems the bad Michelins fail early on and I've put 3,000 miles on mine so far with no issue. . .

My next tire was going to be the PR3. Now I think I'll look at the Angel ST instead.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, this sucks.

Imagine if this had happened on a passenger car or School bus tire and caused a serious crash...it would probably make the national news.

I'm not feeling good about having Pilot Power 2CT's on my bike, even though it seems the bad Michelins fail early on and I've put 3,000 miles on mine so far with no issue. . .

My next tire was going to be the PR3. Now I think I'll look at the Angel ST instead.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a 2CT on my rear and it's got over 11,000 miles on it.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried the PR2 on my last sets. Good tires but I do prefer the Conti Motion that I had before. Felt more stable of freeway... not saying they're better tires. Just like them better. I got a set from MSStore, they had a good sale last week... I'll put them on after my dino run/tune schedule on the 6th of next month. I've been having that wobble over 80 MPH since I put the PR2 on.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, I've got a 2CT on my rear and it's got over 11,000 miles on it.

Out of curiosity, where were your 2CT tires made? Both of mine have "MADE IN SPAIN" printed on the left side of each sidewall. Apparently the recalled ones were made in France.

All this time I was under the impression that Michelins were made in the USA...geez.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, where were your 2CT tires made? Both of mine have "MADE IN SPAIN" printed on the left side of each sidewall. Apparently the recalled ones were made in France.

All this time I was under the impression that Michelins were made in the USA...geez.

Thats what i checked last night as soon as i got home. :) Mine says "made in spain" as well.