bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 1

Data

What town am I in?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did the BD43 headlight mod last weekend and it went very well and gave me a chance to clean the bike and look some things over while it was apart. I drained most of the gas from the tank and took it completely off- can't imagine why anyone would want to do that work with the gas tank in the way.

The mod wire assembly was of the highest quality and installed perfectly. The instructions were clear. It took about three hours at a leisurely pace.

The bike looks so much better now with both headlights working !

Thanks again BD43 !

Torkable

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm very interested in this mod but I am a bit confused about the result, specifically how low and high beams work. Do both lights switch between low and high? It seems from the videos I've seen that one bulb stays on low. If so, is there a way to get low-high functionality on both lights?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm very interested in this mod but I am a bit confused about the result, specifically how low and high beams work. Do both lights switch between low and high? It seems from the videos I've seen that one bulb stays on low. If so, is there a way to get low-high functionality on both lights?

The stock headlights have one H4 bulb (H4 has both hi and lo filaments) and one H7 bulb (the H7 is a single-filament low beam only).

So as delivered, the Yamaha has two low-beam filaments. However, they don't use the low-beam filament in the H4. They eliminate the wire from the hi-low switch to the low-beam, so use it as a high beam only. When in low beam mode, you have only the H7 lit. When you hit high-beam, the H7 remains on and the high-beam filament in the H4 is energized.

Using the BD43 mod, the missing wire is installed, which means that in low beam, both the H7 and the H4's low-beam filament are lit. When switched to high beam, the H4's low-beam switches off (this is important to prevent overheating and taxing the FZ6's fragile charging system), and the H4 high beam goes on. The H7 NEVER changes.

Without modifying the headlight's themselves, you cannot get both bulbs to switch high and low.

JBravo

Jedi Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
I want this dual headlight mod, but sadly I know very little about electroics and/or mechanics. I've seen several versions of this mod on here, but most of it reads like a different language to me. Is there a way for a novice to do it without deconstructing half the bike?

I'm more than happy to learn and ideally would like to observe someone do theirs, ask questions, then try doing it myself. I'm just worried if I mess around with wiring etc by myself I won't know if I'm doing something wrong - any advice?

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I want this dual headlight mod, but sadly I know very little about electroics and/or mechanics. I've seen several versions of this mod on here, but most of it reads like a different language to me. Is there a way for a novice to do it without deconstructing half the bike?

I'm more than happy to learn and ideally would like to observe someone do theirs, ask questions, then try doing it myself. I'm just worried if I mess around with wiring etc by myself I won't know if I'm doing something wrong - any advice?

I just ordered the wiring harness bd43 sells and while I know a fair bit of mechanics, electronics is "black magic" to me. Having said that, I plan on going forward with this mod and will let you know how it goes.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
There is no knowledge of electronics required to perform this mod. Or even electrics. If you can plug in you VCR then you can plug in this wire. The toughest parts of this mod are lifting the gas tank and moving the coils out of the way to reach the slot where you plug the wire into.

D

Deleted member 17211

What are the possibilities of doing this with an HID kit?

Shouldn't be a problem, this is just installing a wire to trigger the low beam of the normally-off light.

bd's wire is also top notch quality. It wouldn't be worth it to source the parts and make one myself to the same quality since buying the pieces individually costs more in shipping. You won't regret getting this if you do.

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site

You know yourself best and you might be smart not to attempt this. That said, I just did this mod today and it could not have been any easier. I don't know much about electronics and do not consider myself mechanically inclined, but BD43 sends you step-by-step instructions and there is another thread on this forum with pictures of the entire process.

You will need basic tools like allen wrenches, metric sockets, pair of pliers, etc, but these are all things you should have anyway if you own a bike. Just take your time when taking things apart and do the process in reverse to get everything back together again. I suggest taking digital pictures of anything you are not familiar with before you take it apart - then you know what it is supposed to look like if you have any trouble later.

The entire install took me about 90 minutes start to finish - and I took my time and used this as an opportunity to clean my airbox and filter. The hardest part for me was removing the airbox so I could slide the battery holder rearward. I needed to remove the hoses and had a little trouble getting to the hex bolts on the clamps that secure the airbox to the cylinders, but nothing too crazy. Again, just take your time and be careful not to let any debris fall into the top of the cylinders. I put a clean towel over the cylinders anytime I have them exposed but just a suggestion.

I was really impressed with BD's wire/relay and doing this mod forced me to become more familiar with the machine - which is cool. I just got my FZ6 a few months ago so I am still learning exactly where everything is located. You don't want to be one of those guys on the side of the road who doesn't even know where to find the battery, fuses, etc.

BD43 is obviously a badass and guys like him make this forum great.

Thanks Daryl!

JBravo

Jedi Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
You know yourself best and you might be smart not to attempt this. That said, I just did this mod today and it could not have been any easier. I don't know much about electronics and do not consider myself mechanically inclined, but BD43 sends you step-by-step instructions and there is another thread on this forum with pictures of the entire process.

You will need basic tools like allen wrenches, metric sockets, pair of pliers, etc, but these are all things you should have anyway if you own a bike. Just take your time when taking things apart and do the process in reverse to get everything back together again. I suggest taking digital pictures of anything you are not familiar with before you take it apart - then you know what it is supposed to look like if you have any trouble later.

The entire install took me about 90 minutes start to finish - and I took my time and used this as an opportunity to clean my airbox and filter. The hardest part for me was removing the airbox so I could slide the battery holder rearward. I needed to remove the hoses and had a little trouble getting to the hex bolts on the clamps that secure the airbox to the cylinders, but nothing too crazy. Again, just take your time and be careful not to let any debris fall into the top of the cylinders. I put a clean towel over the cylinders anytime I have them exposed but just a suggestion.

I was really impressed with BD's wire/relay and doing this mod forced me to become more familiar with the machine - which is cool. I just got my FZ6 a few months ago so I am still learning exactly where everything is located. You don't want to be one of those guys on the side of the road who doesn't even know where to find the battery, fuses, etc.

BD43 is obviously a badass and guys like him make this forum great.

Thanks Daryl!

Thanks for sharing!

I'm working my way up towards doing this mod, I do genuinely want to know the bike inside out if I can starting with the basics. I've done some simple adjustments (gear pedal and chain adjustment, replaced clutch cable etc) but nothing bigger than that. Hopefully this winter I'll do the mod, I have this sneaky suspicion that as I progress through it I'll discover I'm missing the necessary tools, so it's probably best I do it when the bike is out of action anyway. That way I can take my time and do it over a weekend if I need to.

By the way did you post pictures of your new mod?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Bumping this one up for a question...

Does anyone know of a place to source the necessary connectors? The female connector for the headlamp doesn't seem too hard to get a hold of, but I've looked around at various auto parts stores and there don't seem to be any pin-like connectors available for the wiring harness. I don't mind fabricating one myself, but I'd rather not spend the extra time if I could find one cheaply.

Thanks in advance!

jimmycapp

Reaction score
Visit site

Does anyone know of a place to source the necessary connectors? The female connector for the headlamp doesn't seem too hard to get a hold of, but I've looked around at various auto parts stores and there don't seem to be any pin-like connectors available for the wiring harness. I don't mind fabricating one myself, but I'd rather not spend the extra time if I could find one cheaply.

Thanks in advance!

FRS-101 male terminal pin (10 pcs) Electrical items sold here are some of the best OEM quality replacement connectors, terminals and plugs I have found.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

The downside is most folks lack the proper crimping tool to perform the job. This is a case where you want a good solid connection with no damage to the terminal, wires conductors, or the wires outer sheath insulation as it needs to conduct 4 ~ 5 amps without overheating (more when initially turned on).

In the electrical section (IIRC) I posted some links on crimp tools in a sticky. Take a look.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
The downside is most folks lack the proper crimping tool to perform the job. This is a case where you want a good solid connection with no damage to the terminal, wires conductors, or the wires outer sheath insulation as it needs to conduct 4 ~ 5 amps without overheating (more when initially turned on).

In the electrical section (IIRC) I posted some links on crimp tools in a sticky. Take a look.
I ended up making my own. The link is still useful for those who can't make their own. :)

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
I've started to trying to build this mod, I have managed to make the pin (although it may not be the nicest looking). I am looking to buy the 48" green jacket wire in 16 gauge or 18 gauge as OP suggested but i cant seem to find any. I have HomeDepot and Lowes in my area, can someone who knows a little more about this stuff give me some advice? i wouldn't want to buy the wrong wire and have my battery explode or something. Thanks!!

bigTITO

Reaction score
Visit site
I've started to trying to build this mod, I have managed to make the pin (although it may not be the nicest looking). I am looking to buy the 48" green jacket wire in 16 gauge or 18 gauge as OP suggested but i cant seem to find any. I have HomeDepot and Lowes in my area, can someone who knows a little more about this stuff give me some advice? i wouldn't want to buy the wrong wire and have my battery explode or something. Thanks!!

Here in North Carolina, I am able to find it at Lowe's. Make sure you get stranded wire and not solid. I have been collecting the materials for this mod and will be doing it soon. I have sourced really nice Japanese terminal pins that (fingers crossed) will be an exact pairing in the electrical connector. I have purchased a supply of H4 flag connectors which were impossible to find locally. I also bought a small supply of Japanese-manufactured, watertight connectors so that my headlight line will have a disconnect at the same point as the other wires going into the fairing. I purchased enough of everything to make a handful of complete, plug-n-play wires because it seems that maybe BD isn't making them for forum members any longer. I will post my completed mod and available wire assemblies when I complete them.

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in North Carolina, I am able to find it at Lowe's. Make sure you get stranded wire and not solid. I have been collecting the materials for this mod and will be doing it soon. I have sourced really nice Japanese terminal pins that (fingers crossed) will be an exact pairing in the electrical connector. I have purchased a supply of H4 flag connectors which were impossible to find locally. I also bought a small supply of Japanese-manufactured, watertight connectors so that my headlight line will have a disconnect at the same point as the other wires going into the fairing. I purchased enough of everything to make a handful of complete, plug-n-play wires because it seems that maybe BD isn't making them for forum members any longer. I will post my completed mod and available wire assemblies when I complete them.

I was able to contact BD43 through his site he posted somewhere on here and found his email. I emailed him directly and turns out he had some and with my payment it is on its way! Thank goodness, i am not too wire savvy :stupidpc: