• None dont need one have foam in jacket

Votes: 44 43.6%
  • yes wouldn't ride without one!

Votes: 57 56.4%

• Total voters

ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Knox CE insert that is an upgrade from the foam that comes in the jacket... That stays in my "short trip" textile jacket.

I've also got a Hein Gericke £60 armadillo style one which isn't too think but provides lots of protection. I also have a Knox one which is longer and is thicker but thats only used for track if and when i get one them.

After having my off last year and putting my back on the curb i wouldnt ride without one as that kind of hit could quite as easily stopped me from ever needing to wear one again.....

ride safe out there guys :thumbup:

flashgordon

Reaction score
Visit site
Will i must confess i didn't think it would be this close on the poll, i have a Knox jacket to wear under my leathers for fasts rides and a textile two pcs with CE armour in for commuting.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Dainese HPC back protector. The nice man threw it in when I bought the jacket.

A little-known piece of trivia is that Barry Sheene invented the motorcycle back protector, with a prototype model he made himself out of old helmet visors and football shinpads, arranged so they could curve in one direction, but not the other. Sheene gave the prototype along with all rights to the Italian company Dainese.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good ol Bazza Sheene...the world is poorer for his loss! Never knew that....makes sense though, Bazza was always one step ahead of most! And also had some pretty big crashes, so it would make sense that he would come up with something as sensible as a back protector.

:thumbup:

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
I wear the Dainese Wave spine protector, its extremely comfortable, you'd never know you were wearing it! I find it helps to maintain my posture on longer rides and makes wearing backpacks a little more comfortable too!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
TPro Forcefield (aka Joe Rocket Speedmaster)

Check out some reviews here:
RiDE Product Tests
(originally posted by Nelly)

June 2008
Back protectors

The TPro Forcefield/Joe Rocket Speedmaster won the test.

Last edited:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Knox Aegis

knox%20aegis.jpg

My biggest fear when riding is screwing up my spine so I do what I can to protect it. I also haven't removed the CE-approved armor that my jacket comes with so I kind of wear 2 back protectors :D Too much protection can't hurt.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
For the street jacket I upgrade the CE armor to the A* RC back protector.

For the 1pc. suit I wear a separate A* Bionic back protector.

For the dirt bike, I wear a full 661 pressure suit with back protector.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Icon Field armor for me -- got it after reading this thread :D -- now I'm about $100 lighter.

I was skeptical about a back protector due to my heated jacket. I put it over my heated jacket and it keeps the heated jacket closer to my body making the heat transfer more efficient and keeping me warm at a lower setting :rockon:.

The extra protection feels good too and it's one less thing to buy if (hopefully when) I do a track day next season.

I removed the back protector from my jacket and that makes more room for this one.

Dennis

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i received a dainese protector for xmas (dont know what version, but i know its their smaller sized shield) to slip into my scorpion stinger jacket. Fits like a glove.

M

mnormand

For my family, always were the Koerta Naked chest/back protector under my jackets, whether on the FZ6, or the WR250R. I tried the full mesh spiderman outfit thing, but that was way too clingy.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have the D30 back protector (Klim I think) in my new Alpinstar jacket. it's CE level 2 hope to never test it but supposed to be good stuff.