Aww crap! Flat tire.

FastZipper6

Reaction score
Visit site
:(

Last night on my way home from work at 4am I decided to twist the throttle on a stretch of freeway and hit 130mph. It was fun and exhilarating. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary then. When I got home though I was just about to park the bike and something sounded funny. As I was rolling on to my driveway it sounded like I was rolling over pebbles and I parked it and looked at it in the dark but saw no problems. Well, I looked at in the light after I woke up and the tire was flat.

See attachment for a pic of the hole.

I've only had this bike for about 3 months and I've never dealt with a flat tire on a street bike before. So, my friends, what do you suggest? I would imagine the best bet is to get some tire inflation kit and get it to a dealer to have them plug it. Is that the best thing to do? I doubt I need to change the tire and I hope I don't as I'm cash challenged at the moment.

At least I have the day off today and tomorrow morning off to fix it. If it were a normal working day I would have just jumped on it and found out pretty quickly that it was flat and would probably have been late to work.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

W

wrightme43

Is it still in there?
If so you can probley fill and ride slow low traffic to the shop. It may be fixable with a plug+patch (built together) Of course the best would be to replace it. That will be the shops most likely recommendation.

W

wrightme43

No I highly reccomend that you dont either, but it has been done and has worked.

Here is the deal.

Imagine your round tire floating in the air. No imagine it as the wieght it applied flattening on the bottom, imagine a tire rolling along as this flat surface moves around the tire, at a insane number of revolutions per mile. Imagine the shocks as it goes over bumps, rocks, potholes and what not.
Now imagine the consquenses of the very small amount of air leaking out after its just been fine for 2500 miles and you have forgoten all about that little plug.
Guardrails, dumptrucks, brick mailboxes.

It can be patched but just to get you till you can get a new tire as soon as possible.
In a car you have stability and can just stop and get out. On the bike its not the same.

FastZipper6

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, thanks for the quick help everyone. I think I will take your advice and just get a new tire.

That's precisely why I asked for advice. I knew my fellow riders at FZ-6 Forums.com would be able to help. :thumbup:

Any ballpark figure on tire and install fees? I'm guessing $125 to $250? Any recommendations on a good but inexpensive tire? I actually am impressed with the stock tires. They felt very good in my limited street experience.

Again, thanks.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not against plugging a tire in the right scenario but where that one has a hole I would replace it. I have a plug in mine at the moment but it was a small piece of wire in a non-contact area in the sipes. Picked it up a week after replacing the original due to a 16p nail. My Bridgestone cost me $140 for the tire and $40 to mount balance. If you have a local Cycle Gear they offer road hazard for $20 but you have to take the tire/wheel to them. That's where the rest of mine will come from.

FastZipper6

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I got a new tire installed this morning. I decided to stick with Bridgestone and got the BT021. Offhand, does anyone know the difference between the BT020's and the 21's?

I hate motorcycle shops. I used to work as a parts guy at a Yamaha shop decades ago and I think they are all pretty much a bunch of liars and cheats. But that's just my opinion. :)

It cost $130 for the tire and $60 for installation. $200 total for a small hole in the tire. Geez. I know I could have gotten the tire cheaper somewhere else but I didn't have time to do all that. I needed the bike to be ready so I can get to work tonight.

I kind of got lazy and drove to a gas station on the flat tire and put air in it but it only lasted a few blocks. I ended up doing that many times to get to the dealer that was 10 miles away. It wasn't the best way but it did the trick. I figured it would only harm the tire and not the rim as I went slow. The old tire had 6700 miles on it and I guess it was about time to get a new one anyway.

Oh well. I'm glad that's over. Hopefully I won't ever get another flat again. Let us pray.

Last edited:

ryanFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that dude...
I wouldn't plug a tire rated 149 MPH+...

I just had a nail in my back tire this weekend when i took it in for a service. The guy there said in CA it was actually illegal for them to patch it.
I bought a pirelli diablo for $105, and about $50 to have it put on. heard they're good, but still breaking it in

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
You could buy yourself a patch kit and keep it under the seat for next time. A hole like that would patch fine and hold air until you get it properly repaired or replaced. My friend's bike had one much worse and we were far from home. Once we got it patched and filled it was fine to ride the 2 hrs home. He got it plugged a week later since it was a new $200 tire, no issues.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yup, got a TINY staple sized hole in my tire a LONG time ago...fixed it myself, haven't had a problem since. The dealer said they can't fix it, but if my fix held, to ride it. I need a new tire now, but the incident was probably 4,000 miles ago!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had a nail in my back tire this weekend when i took it in for a service. The guy there said in CA it was actually illegal for them to patch it.
I bought a pirelli diablo for $105, and about $50 to have it put on. heard they're good, but still breaking it in

"illegal"? This is a first. My guess that it's total B.S. There are many tire plug companies marketing their wares. A tire patch is even better than a plug. What you gonna do if, say, you get a nail or something in the boondocks and it's going to take days, if not weeks, to get a replacement tire? Shop going to tell you, "you gotta wait until we get a new tire for you"? In my opinion, "DIY"! Tires are like a spouse. You don't run out and get a new one every time you pick up a tack.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I got a new tire installed this morning. I decided to stick with Bridgestone and got the BT021. Offhand, does anyone know the difference between the BT020's and the 21's?

The 021 is a dual-compound tire. The substrate and center tread are harder rubber, the shoulders are softer, gripier. The idea is mileage when you're on the slab and traction in the curves. I think it's a great idea.

I just put an 021 on my rear, and noticed the tread pattern is dif from the 020. The grooves don't cross the center line, and there are no wear indicators. So if that center tread is hard, I would expect a lot more wear out of the tire (I got 8700 on my 020, average riding).

So far I'm happy with the 021 on all counts.