August 16-18, 2013 - Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and West VA

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think you are being bossy, the group riding info is very important so we all make it home in one piece. :thumbup: I am new enough to group riding that I found the info a great read and appreciate it.

BamBam, I don't think I have EC info from you. DavidG-757, Do you want EC info for your rider?

thanks, PM sent.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh my, I wasn't implying that BamBam was being bossy, just didn't want to give the OK on anyone else's behalf.:eek:

And I wasn't implying you thought I was bossy...lol

Was just a general concern.

Just got my bike back from the shop. Had them flush the coolant and put in ICE, change oil, align wheel and tighten chain. I've been busy lately and didn't have the time...

So she is all ready to go. Ordered a new face shield, Airhawk R, and power port for GPS. I should have ordered my Airhawk earlier...I'm nervous it won't arrive in time...

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to say that I found time for a short jaunt on the BRP from Cherokee to Asheville, and it was amazing! I think you guys are going to love it, set fazers to 50 mph and you can enjoy your ride all day long.

Have a safe trip and enjoyable trip to those of you lucky enough to have time for the whole thing!

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning to change the fluids myself and get my inspection done a month early just for the peace of mind. I'm getting new PR2's as my bike still has 7year old OEM tires on it. :eek: Other PA riders know about the inspection date bull****, I bought my bike at the end of May(27th or 28th) and they registered it as purchased in April(didn't notice till after the fact) so that I would have to get it inspected when I bought it, because the previous owner let it run out, and again in October. Instead if it was registered in May (WHEN I BOUGHT IT!!!), the inspection wouldn't be due again until June 2014! Oh how I love bureaucracy.:rant::surrender:

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to say that I found time for a short jaunt on the BRP from Cherokee to Asheville, and it was amazing! I think you guys are going to love it, set fazers to 50 mph and you can enjoy your ride all day long.

Have a safe trip and enjoyable trip to those of you lucky enough to have time for the whole thing!

I am so excited! Thanks for the well wishes!

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, I forgot to respond earlier. I do have a 6ft cable for locking. Might be long enough for all the bikes. I have a padlock as well. Just 1 week to go!:rockon:

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up a disc lock from my local Cycle Gear. I think it is on the cheap side, but I feel better having something rather than nothing. Here is a link: Disc Lock. I got it half-off, $12.50, but now it says $20. Might just be an in store special.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also carry a tire plug kit and a mini compressor that runs off my 12V socket. And I'll have a can of chain wax as well.

Late addition, but my good friend of 25 years would like to join us. He rides a BMW R1150 R, does a lot of touring and has been on most of the roads we have planned. He did the BRP and Skyline Dr. last year and kept going south to the Tail of the Dragon. I've been trying to ride with him for years and it just never happened for one reason or another, with the exception of a rain soaked journey from Baltimore to DC. He lives in DC and will meet us at the Front Royal meeting point.

What's the current motel situation? I know Ben (BamBam) reserved two rooms at each place (shared by four of us), and Josh (92Bit) has another room at each place (just Josh). I also know DavidG-757 is coming with a friend. Are they getting their own room or sharing with Josh? My buddy can reserve his own room if need be.

What time Saturday a.m. are we heading out from Buena Vista?

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
i have one...but am having trouble finding it....I hope I can find it by Friday morning...lol

I will get you one like mine if you want, let me know.

Ohendo, I personally am okay with another rider, but I believe BamBam has top say as organizer (BOSS MAN! ;)). With an odd number right now (7) I think your friend would be ideal. That way everyone would be able to split room costs evenly with another. I am curious if DavidG-757 got a room, or were they spliting with 92Bit? I am flexible, I do not mind who I share a room with.

Sorry for using usernames, until I see everyone in person I might confuse someone.

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
I sent a PM to DavidG-757 about hotel rooms. Waiting to hear back. As of now, I am still on my own. I too am OK with another rider, but our leader and all around bossy guy, BamBam must weigh in.:BLAA:

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
8 makes it perfect. We need to hear back from DavidG-757. I gave him a call and left a voice mail.

In terms of another rider, I think 8 would make it perfect.

And in terms of the disc lock, I'll find mine, no sense in buying a new one when it is lying around here somewhere. Thanks Ohendo.

And, I'm thinking we will leave Buena Vista around 9am.

So, eight it is!

The Boss man has spoken.

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Heads up everyone going on the trip, I just found out they charge $10/motorcycle to ride Skyline drive (Front Royal to Waynesboro stretch of our trip). I was unaware of this and wanted to make sure everyone else knew.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
8 makes it perfect. We need to hear back from DavidG-757. I gave him a call and left a voice mail.

In terms of another rider, I think 8 would make it perfect.

And in terms of the disc lock, I'll find mine, no sense in buying a new one when it is lying around here somewhere. Thanks Ohendo.

And, I'm thinking we will leave Buena Vista around 9am.

So, eight it is!

The Boss man has spoken.

Thanks Boss. Apparently there was some misunderstanding on the part of my late addition (his name is Chuck). He will NOT meet us at Front Royal, but will meet us at the Buena Vista motel on Friday night instead. He's a big government type (EPA) and can't get out of work on Friday in time for the ride.

If DavidG-757 ever replies to the PM's he's been sent, we'll know more about the motel room situation, i.e. whether he and guest are sharing room with Josh or getting their own. Push comes to shove, my buddy will share my bed (after setting some strict ground rules of course!).

It'll all work out I'm sure, I'm not picky. Once slept in a parking lot using my jacket as a pillow, so anything above that is grand.

Last edited:

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
One more day of work for me, leaving for the train on Thursday morning. Now I am starting to get excited about the trip, meeting everyone and enjoying ourselves. another reason is the the fact that most of the time I will be out of touch and can really switch off. Work seems to think I am like the IFC channel, Always on Slightly off......

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I called DavidG-757 again and did not get a response. If I had to guess I would say that he and his friend will share their own room, so Ohendo and his friend can share a room, and the other four of us can split two rooms.